André Gomes

If the mental issues he's describing are somehow not as big of a deal as a mental illness diagnosis, then what's the problem with him talking about it?

I explained that in the sentence literally right after the one you selectively quoted.

Did you really only read the first sentence of my post or are you just deliberately excluding the rest of my post to further your narrative?

BBZ8800

Samper was a kid and I don't recall Bartra refusing to play... I think he played both games, 90 mins each, due to Puyol and Mascherano being out. Further neither of them spoke about it publicly as far as remember...

Bartra played, but cried and begged a coach not to play.
He said that he is not ready for big games.

And you're full of crap... Do you know that Xavi nearly left for Milan because he had trouble breaking into the team and struggled with the dynamics. The fans and critics called him a "windscreen wiper". But yet again he didn't cry in the media. Xavi once said that he only got recognised after 2008 Euros... He had been a Barça first team player for 10 years by then already...

What is this?
A random comment about Xavi?

Xavi was a God under Rijkaard, we discussed that and this story 10s of times before you came to this forum.
So, yes, Xavi wanted to leave, but he was a key player in our team way before Pep.

Before Pep, he was like Coutinho or Eriksen today, one of top10 midfielders in the world.
After Pep, he turned into a no1.

But people often write things as if Xavi was some sort of Gomes or Paulinho before Pep.

Why has he been playing? That’s more concerning. If he is prepared to tell the press this, it’s safe to assume he has mentioned something to management.

And it sounds like he probably shouldn’t be playing if he is “not enjoying” his football. He needs to sort those off field issues first. Hopefully the club can get some decent money for him in the summer, and he can thrive is a less pressured environment. He has some decent attributes, but he isn’t cut out for an elite club.

He plays because even a Gomes with mental problems is better (for 2 coaches in a row) than some other players in our team.
That says more about a quality of our squad midfielders than about Gomes.

Anyway, I still had some hopes for him, but now it seems that his Barca's career is over.
You can't succeed here if you have some serious flaws.
And he has both questionable skills for our style and now he sadly has mental strength issues.

Last edited:

henias

Everyone feels pressured in some way or another in their jobs, fuck, even I'm stressed and depressed in my job because of my bosses' demands, the constant pressure to work against time 5-6 days a week, and still have to worry about earning enough money. I'm no celebrity or a sport star, but he should know coming to such a big club has its risk and demanding criteria. He get paid millions to play one match a week at most or even could come on a sub for a mere 20 mins to put in your best performance or simply for just sitting on the bench. And all these gives him so much pressure that he "could not even walk out on the street"?

I'm not against voicing out your personal issues nor am I saying mental illness should be a taboo. The crux of the issue is that he is a sport celebrity with important matches that requires mental toughness even if one has to fake it. You don't go out to the public with these sort of stuff in the middle of the season. If you want to voice out, voice it out to your family, friends, colleagues, coach or seek professional help.

If it isn't depression and its just public or match pressure than he has to overcome it somehow because this is his day job no matter what. If he cant handle it and prefer a much relaxed and less demanding environment, then request to go other clubs.

But even other clubs want confident players, which is ironically a paradox for him to say things like that.

blackrum

I explained that in the sentence literally right after the one you selectively quoted.

Did you really only read the first sentence of my post or are you just deliberately excluding the rest of my post to further your narrative?

Except none of the stuff you said answered my question. There was a reason I selectively quoted, you know. But if you prefer: The sentences after basically boil down to he shouldn't have said these things at this point in time because it could have negative repurcussions for Barca's seasons. Implying that the subject he talked about is quite a big deal that would warrant "endlessly bombarding" players with questions. Yet at the same time, apparently you think the stuff he described is not as grave as a diagnosable mental illness, hence why I said "not as big of a deal". If that's the case, then what indicates that what he said result in what you described in the sentences I didn't quote? Not like he talked about a mental illness, so not that big of a deal, right? Otherwise, I don't really see the point in drawing a distinction between talking about a "mental illness" and his issues.

I find it weird how the term "narrative" gets thrown around in internet debates. What exactly is my narrative? That Gomes shouldn't be bashed for his interview? That's no "narrative", fyi.

Xaviniesta

feel sorry for gomes, looks like he doesn't have the mental strength to play for a club like barca. anyways, at least he knows he's shit on the pitch

Not sure if he feels this little confession session will get him sympathy from the fans. These are the kind of quotes you hear from footballers after they have moved on from a club or retired, not while they are still freaking playing for the club - especially considering this clown might start the biggest match of the season yet.

lol imagine the scenes in camp nou if he starts and has a bad game

raskolnikov

Gomes shouldnt play for Barca anymore, same with players like Digne, Denis and Vidal. They are done and should be sold in the summer. Nothing against these guys but they are not at the right level.

Devils

I actually applaud him for coming out and saying these things. It needs to be taken into context by both the player and the club when players sign for big clubs. Too much pressure causing mental distress is something that shouldn't be kept hidden if a player wishes to make it public and it is clear that Gomes isn't the only one enduring this type of feeling in football.

Even guys like Xavi have said at times the pressure is too much at Barca and wanted to escape it.

Anyways it can't be healthy for anyone (especially a 24 year old) to feel consumed by mental distress and shame due to the treatment he receives when trying to do his job.

Hopefully both him and the club sit down and find a solution that will make both parties happy.

CatalinR10

Watch him leave Barca and boss it somewhere else and make us look like a fool.

why would we look like fools ? For 2 years he has proven 1000 times that he doesn't belong here. Just because he would play really good somewhere else doesn't mean he would have made it here eventually after 3-5 years .

henias

Watch him leave Barca and boss it somewhere else and make us look like a fool.

Just because he doesnt play well for us, doesnt mean it's our fault, player of his profile just simply doesnt suit our style of play. In that case, players like Deulofeu made us look like a fool? We would actually be a fool for keeping him when he cant flourish under our system and will only be more detrimental for both the club and player. A move to other clubs will be a win-win situation.

RMU ReBorn

Lol we've been playing shit football for 6 months relying on Messi saving us 90% of the time as always. No rotations either so our starting xl will be done when the big games start.
Our defense has conceded less than all the teams in europe except Atleti . Messi has played like this last season as well . But defense and midfield was shit . EV improved that and we are unbeaten

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I feel sorry for Vermaelen, if anyone.

Millionaire unworthy of Barca shirt gets booed by parts of the crowd? That doesn't sound like a real problem lads.

RMU ReBorn

people who had been through such situation can understand what Gomes is going through . Mental stress and depression is such a bitch . You will lose everything you had including the most valuable asset which is confidence . I can only empathize with him ,having gone through such phase . I haven't yet recovered . Hopefully he becomes a better player in some other club .

jairzinho

I genuinely feel sorry for him.

He wants to do well but he just doesn't have the required technical ability to compete at this level.

As bad as he has been, Valverde continues to play him, but he just can't get into a good rhythm.

Hopefully he can get into another team next season and revive his career, perhaps a team where the level isn't so high and pressure isn't too much.

Home of Barca Fans