Nelson Semedo

henias

Do i understand correctly, that if Deulofeu has a good start of season and then gradually declines and gets sent out on loan, the common understanding is that he is not good enough and he is only good until opposition defense learns how to play against him.
If Semedo on the other hand has a good start of season and then gradually declines, it is still matter of "confidence" or any other bs excuse, but no way in hell it cannot be true that maybe he just is not cut out to be Barca starter and opposition defense has found out how to play against him?

Deulofeu? Good start of the season? Tell me another joke.

behindbrowneyes

He was my first choice future RB, but I was doubtful due to the league he played in. He really showed his skills in Liga NOS. However, many players who were great there didn't make it in better leagues. Bayern's Sanches is the most prominent name in the last few years, but there are many others like João Mário or Gaitán.

I refuse to give up on him though. He wasn't as bad to sell him asap and brings many things to the table like serghei already explained above. Valverde is good at developing players so next season might be Semedo's year. RB is a tough task at Barcelona since you have to replace the perfect RB Barcelona had in Dani Alves.

Nothanks

surely its because valverde hates him and knows nothing about football compared to the masterminds elitist in barcaforum

Pepe Silvia

Compared to Roberto, Semedo's passing and link up is trash, but that's natural considering how long he's played with the team. Semedo is by no means average and is a great option to have as back up/wild card. For a new coach, he could be an extremely valuable piece. Not a player we want to get rid of.

Defensively it's not a contest Semedo owns Roberto on tools, but in this system, I'll admit Roberto fits better.

Danic

Just a matter of time when he will be first choice RB if he gets his play times constantly.
Its pretty funny how people where celebrating him in the first games and now when he made some average games(not even bad, cause defense wise he was almost always great) some are comparing him to a guy like montoya.
Short term thinking like in many player threads here.

God Serena

Do i understand correctly,

No, you're deluded. But that's just Tuesday for LeeRomeno so I'm not surprised, even if this is on another level.

that if Deulofeu has a good start of season and then gradually declines and gets sent out on loan, the common understanding is that he is not good enough and he is only good until opposition defense learns how to play against him.

You're comparing a winger to a fullback and even then you're doing a terrible job. Deulofeu had like two good games but he didn't exactly "Start well". There wasn't much for his opposing defenders to learn, the problem with Deu is his one and only skill is sprinting to the touchline and putting in a cross. Nothing at all like Semedo. Semedo, on the other hand, never had a good start, at least offensively. The way you put it is as if Semedo started off red hot and and hit a wall the way you somehow seem to think happened to Deulofeu but in reality he has struggled going forward from the very beginning, as his 0 goals/assists seem to indicate.

If Semedo on the other hand has a good start of season and then gradually declines, it is still matter of "confidence" or any other bs excuse, but no way in hell it cannot be true that maybe he just is not cut out to be Barca starter and opposition defense has found out how to play against him?

Welcome to the mind of Romeno. Where Semedo's issues being confidence related are "bs" and he's been "Figured out" but Gomes is just a scapegoat. :lol:

xXKonan

Alba is on a completely another level and at Semedo's age was already world class.

Anyone thinking Portuguese will become class are overly optimistic to put it mildly.
Ehh Alba got a lot of stick himself for being defensively frail at times and even going forward especially in the 2015/16-17 seasons he got a lot of shit for his erratic decision making in the final third along with his poor crossing.

His best season was the 2014/15 season but he fell off quite a bit compared to that season until this season. Was it due to Neymar? part of it plays into that but these days he's playing much smarter than he did under Lucho's final two seasons.

Nothanks

Just a matter of time when he will be first choice RB if he gets his play times constantly.
Its pretty funny how people where celebrating him in the first games and now when he made some average games(not even bad, cause defense wise he was almost always great) some are comparing him to a guy like montoya.

my friend, when we have 75-80% of possession and the team is putting all their players in a 5-6-0 formation, semedo's defensive capabilities matter only in one or two instances of counter attacks.
he offers nothing in attack.. never did, he shines with dembele because we have two extremes, a winger that doesn't defend and attacks a lot with a fullback that doesn't attack and defends alot
when we play with sergi roberto and have paulinho or coutinho as Right midfield we need people to do runs from the back, we need someone to overlap and cause a problem to the opposing LB / LCB, something semedo is really bad at apparently.

semedo gets ALOT of game time idk what else you would want from him.. to start every game?? lol no he's a liability sure we'll condede slightly less but we also will score much less if our team is useless on one flank

Last edited:

5ergio_Busquets

Best solution is to have Semedo at RB and Roberto ahead of him at RMF. This way you can have both Semedo's defensive and Roberto's attacking qualities. Roberto with his experience at RB can support Semedo in defense and Semedo with his speed and dribbling can support Roberto in the attacking third.

Nothanks

and lose our bench because we should start both of them? no
dembele is coming back as-well so even bigger no to that.

the fullback position is the most physical demanding role in our squad, when the rightback inevitably gets tired i'm going to cringe seeing vidal play there again for us.

5ergio_Busquets

and lose our bench because we should start both of them? no
dembele is coming back as-well so even bigger no to that.

the fullback position is the most physical demanding role in our squad, when the rightback inevitably gets tired i'm going to cringe seeing vidal play there again for us.
That's the best solution with the currently available players and should be used in important games like tonight's one. In easier games you can rotate by playing one of them at RB and the likes of Vidal or Paulinho at RMF.

Pepe Silvia

The montoya comparison I just ignored because that appeared like troll material. Montoya was a clueless kid AND had masia pedigree which made it even stranger. He was hopeless.

Semedo has no masia pedigree, yet shows glimpses of genius, ball control like Abidal, solid passing, and football intelligence. Just needs to gel with the team and he will be great.

Nothanks

It's all preference really but honestly i don't like have two extremes in a team, our bench shouldn't be drastically worse than the starter.
Roberto and Semedo SHOULD benefit from having competition for the spot..also why fix something that isn't broken, we have so far a great record with roberto as rightback i just don't see why people have this huge preference of semedo over him... i see a glaring issue when he plays and the players body language to me also speaks volume that roberto just does it better with the team

Home of Barca Fans