Arthur

Jair Ventura

If Houssem Aouar continue to perform like he's done for the remainder of the season, he would be a more reasonable signing for 40-50m than Arthur. It makes zero sense to splash anywhere near 50m on Arthur given what he has done so far.

Lmao. The things some of you post.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It's obviously too much, but I'd still much rather pay 150m for a Euro-proven player like Coutinho than 50m for a complete gamble like Arthur, who'd realistically most likely not succeed here.

Why are you so certain about this though? Were you so apprehensive about the other midfielders we bought too? I'd say Arthur has proven more and shown more potential upside now by a longshot than either of Gomes, Paulinho, and arguably Denis did before their transfers. Arda was much more proven but there was very little upside to his transfer given his age and everything. All in all, I don't see why Arthur is treated with this asterisk next to his name if we didn't give that same doubt to everyone else we bought.

The only way it makes sense is if you think of everyone from Brazil, even the very best players, to be very low probability of success. Because Arthur having succeeded at the Libertadores level is showing he's quite possibly the most proven talent to buy from Brazil since Neymar, arguably even moreso than Gabriel Jesus (though I'm hazy on when City finalized his purchase relative to the Olympics, which would change things). He's won the most prestigious SA trophy, MOTM of the final, team of the season, and gets rave reviews from everyone who watches him; does he still warrant being seen as someone that's more likely to flop than not??

That being said I agree with 150m for Coutinho > 50m for Arthur. I just think Arthur's chances of being a success are pretty solid given the context.

Jombi

Why are you so certain about this though? Were you so apprehensive about the other midfielders we bought too? I'd say Arthur has proven more and shown more potential upside now by a longshot than either of Gomes, Paulinho, and arguably Denis did before their transfers. Arda was much more proven but there was very little upside to his transfer given his age and everything. All in all, I don't see why Arthur is treated with this asterisk next to his name if we didn't give that same doubt to everyone else we bought.

The only way it makes sense is if you think of everyone from Brazil, even the very best players, to be very low probability of success. Because Arthur having succeeded at the Libertadores level is showing he's quite possibly the most proven talent to buy from Brazil since Neymar, arguably even moreso than Gabriel Jesus (though I'm hazy on when City finalized his purchase relative to the Olympics, which would change things). He's won the most prestigious SA trophy, MOTM of the final, team of the season, and gets rave reviews from everyone who watches him; does he still warrant being seen as someone that's more likely to flop than not??

That being said I agree with 150m for Coutinho > 50m for Arthur. I just think Arthur's chances of being a success are pretty solid given the context.

Arthur isnt even close to the what Gabriel Jesus showed. Arthur hasnt even played for the Brazilian national team at 21 and Jo was seen as the best player in the league and Hernanes the best midfielder.

JamDav1982

Would bet you have seen next to nothing of Arthur bar couple compilations.

Which is probably not much more than anyone else but truth is you are guessing at such a definite opinion.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Arthur isnt even close to the what Gabriel Jesus showed. Arthur hasnt even played for the Brazilian national team at 21 and Jo was seen as the best player in the league and Hernanes the best midfielder.

I think everyone was more high on Jesus at the time because he showed flashes of superstar level talent, which really isn't a knock on Arthur at all since GJ's potential is through the roof. But simply on existing proof alone they've both won Newcomer of the year and were on the team of the season. Jesus officially won best player but Arthur really is talked about like the best player in Brazil. Arthur won the Libertadores and MOTM of the final, which is well above anything GJ did at club level in Brazil. People rave about his skill level constantly and his abilities are exactly what we're looking for in a midfielder if he can translate it to Europe.

Looking at it now, Jesus was announced for City on August 3 which is right before the Olympics actually started. His Olympics performance is the only thing that would've pushed his prior résumé above Arthur, but that happened after his transfer so it's out of consideration.

Jombi

I think everyone was more high on Jesus at the time because he showed flashes of superstar level talent, which really isn't a knock on Arthur at all since GJ's potential is through the roof. But simply on existing proof alone they've both won Newcomer of the year and were on the team of the season. Jesus officially won best player but Arthur really is talked about like the best player in Brazil. Arthur won the Libertadores and MOTM of the final, which is well above anything GJ did at club level in Brazil. People rave about his skill level constantly and his abilities are exactly what we're looking for in a midfielder if he can translate it to Europe.

Looking at it now, Jesus was announced for City on August 3 which is right before the Olympics actually started. His Olympics performance is the only thing that would've pushed his prior résumé above Arthur, but that happened after his transfer so it's out of consideration.

Gabriel Jesus was by far the best player in the league though. At age 19. There was no doubt about it. He was clearly special. I've watched him twice and I have yet to see that level of skill from Arthur although its more difficult to assess him. I dont know about "talked about". Thats extremely subjective.

Jair Ventura

Gabriel Jesus was not considered far better than Arthur is now. It's the other way around, if anything. And, yes, Arthur will be called up by Tite. He will be with Seleção in Russia.

Jombi

Gabriel Jesus was not considered far better than Arthur is now. It's the other way around, if anything. And, yes, Arthur will be called up by Tite. He will be with Seleção in Russia.

Arthur has already been called up a long time ago. Means nothing. He has yet to actually play. He is never considered far better than Gabriel Jesus was. Thats ridiculous. I've seen many Gremio fans rate Lucas Leiva higher than Arthur and I can believe that.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Now you're just making things up. It's funny you never brought that up before. Very convenient.

Gremio fans rating Lucas Leiva higher than Arthur :lol:

Jombi

Now you're just making things up. It's funny you never brought that up before. Very convenient.

Gremio fans rating Lucas Leiva higher than Arthur :lol:

Its highly subjective of course and not worth much, so I dont see why you think its so important. But I can see where they come from when Lucas Leiva actually was awarded the best player in Brazil before moving to Europe. At a year younger. Something Arthur has yet to achieve.

Trickykid

I'm just being realistic - or cynical, if you prefer. I'm not going to go all BBZ on you, but our track record in regards to young guns isn't exactly flattering. Frankly, I know next to nothing about Arthur (aside from the YouTube vids, just like 99% of you guys), so I could very well be completely wrong, but I'd still rather put my faith in a player like Coutinho than a player like Arthur. Talk Gremio down to 20m, 30m tops and I'd be much more inclined to promote the transfer. Times are changing and all that jazz, but 50m is just too much in my book.

Home of Barca Fans