Luis Enrique

BBZ8800

http://www.sport-english.com/en/news/barca/the-negatives-barcelonas-switch-3-4-3-formation-5896114

When many had written off Luis Enrique, the Asturian had a plan. Aware that rivals were beginning to work out his Barça side, the coach made a tactical switch after the 4-0 loss in Paris: 4-3-3 became 3-4-3.

After a slow start against Leganes and Atletico Madrid -- wins but without huge improvements -- the Blaugrana rolled over Sporting and Celta Vigo at Camp Nou. The hammering of PSG then followed with the same formation. However, there was a reality check on Sunday in La Coruna, where some elements of the switch were shown up.

Using three central defenders has killed the full-backs' attacking aspirations. Jordi Alba, one of those most affected by the new system, did not play a minute against PSG and his seen his role change. At Riazor, the left-back formed part of the back three with Pique and Mascherano and looked limited. His connection with Messi, who had memorised Alba's runs down the left, have previously generated a number of Barça goals.

With 4-3-3, in addition, both Neymar and Messi were able to adandon the flank every now and again, making space for the full-backs. Now, the wide men must stay as open as possible, so as not to overcrowd in the middle, where there are four midfielder inside them. What does that mean? That the wide men must find the space. That was one of the problems against Depor, with neither Denis Suarez nor, especially, Arda Turan able to do enough one on one.

Messi is also struggling to shine in the middle. And it's not about comfort. In fact, the Argentine likes to play behind a No.9 with total freedom as opposed to waiting for the ball on the right. Playing in the middle, though, it's easier for the opposition to crowd him out and he has lest space, both to think and to get going.

Something similar happens with Luis Suarez, who the new system forces to constantly look to drag defenders out of position to create space for Messi. It's not a coincidence that the Uruguayan shot less than usual against Celta, PSG and Depor. With 3-4-3, Barça win possession and push their opposition back -- as clearly seen against PSG -- and therefore Suarez loses space in the penalty box.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
So Lucho had a plan all along. :facepalm:

Makes sense after watching your team playing worse and worse for a year and then get practically out of La Liga and CL. Then part of the plan was to switch to 3-4-3. :lol:

Cool

Will Lucho be a big shot from now on after the Barca job in a sense that he'd be one of those elite managers or will he be another Di Matteo?

I honestly think he has a big shot in landing the Arsenal job this year if he does not rest.

MIXA

The 3-4-3 system is showing signs of real concern. I would not trust it against Juve or any other top team.

We should play the standard 4-3-3 with Masch as the RB. If Masch plays RB, Rakitic will not have to babysit him as he did with Roberto. Rakitic can play as a proper CM instead of a RB in disguise. I'm hoping this restores some defense stability and control in midfield.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It doesn't because the RW will be empty and the opposition can just clog the middle and the left side of the pitch. Unless there is a RB who is able to get forward, that side would be useless and hurt us like it has the entire season. The only games we looked decent with the 4-3-3 was with Vidal on that side.

Ahmedd

The 3-4-3 system is showing signs of real concern. I would not trust it against Juve or any other top team.

We should play the standard 4-3-3 with Masch as the RB. If Masch plays RB, Rakitic will not have to babysit him as he did with Roberto. Rakitic can play as a proper CM instead of a RB in disguise. I'm hoping this restores some defense stability and control in midfield.

Masch already played as a RB this season and it didn't work well if i remember correctly

JamDav1982

The targeted Munir running off Pique into wide spaces all game and got a lot of joy from it.

Better teams will make Barca pay more than tonight.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, agreed there.

Also, Lucho seems to be looking to fit Gomes to another position (RW). He is still clearly rating him.

Raketa10

Only good thing regarding this situation is that we will finally be forced to buy RB this summer. Until than we will continue to have problems in every formation.

kilian

I think this tactic can work only with Roberto as RCM, because clearly Enrique`s instructions are that RCM goes back to RB position when we are defending. Rakitic was abysmal today at that position, totally lost. And I think no one can blame him for that, he isn`t a defender, definitely not a right back.

Also, Rafinha was pure shit again today, so I`m not totally against trying Gomes as a starter at that position.

BBZ8800

I think this tactic can work only with Roberto as RCM, because clearly Enrique`s instructions are that RCM goes back to RB position when we are defending. Rakitic was abysmal today at that position, totally lost. And I think no one can blame him for that, he isn`t a defender, definitely not a right back.

Also, Rafinha was pure shit again today, so I`m not totally against trying Gomes as a starter at that position.

Yes.

343 was poor today.
In other matches, we had:
Atletico: Roberto as one faster fulback playing in 343
Gijon: Alba on a left
Celta: both Alba and Roberto
Psg: Roberto
Deportivo: Alba and Roberto, but we played without Neymar, Iniesta, Rakitic and Rafinha, so we sucked in other areas.

Our 343 seems to better in defense when either Alba or especially Roberto are in the lineup.
Roberto covers RB well in a 442 when we are defending.
When there is no Roberto, this 343 sucks defensively.

Today we played with our slowest possible defense+midfield (except Mathieu):
Umtiti-Pique-Masch, no pacey fullbacks Alba, Digne, Roberto.
Iniesta-Busi-Rakitic-Rafinha, 4 turtles in midfield.
The only worse possible lineup would be with Andre Gomes along with these turtles in midfield.

Imo, 343 is good and could be decent.
But it seems that we have to play at least one pacey fullback (Roberto or Alba) or both.
Alba in a 3-men defense and Roberto in midfield.

Raketa10

Yes.

343 was poor today.
In other matches, we had:
Atletico: Roberto as one faster fulback playing in 343
Gijon: Alba on a left
Celta: both Alba and Roberto
Psg: Roberto
Deportivo: Alba and Roberto, but we played without Neymar, Iniesta, Rakitic and Rafinha, so we sucked in other areas.

Our 343 seems to better in defense when either Alba or especially Roberto are in the lineup.
Roberto covers RB well in a 442 when we are defending.
When there is no Roberto, this 343 sucks defensively.

Today we played with our slowest possible defense+midfield (except Mathieu):
Umtiti-Pique-Masch, no pacey fullbacks Alba, Digne, Roberto.
Iniesta-Busi-Rakitic-Rafinha, 4 turtles in midfield.
The only worse possible lineup would be with Andre Gomes along with these turtles in midfield.

Imo, 343 is good and could be decent.
But it seems that we have to play at least one pacey fullback (Roberto or Alba) or both.
Alba in a 3-men defense and Roberto in midfield.

He played there in the last game and it was a true disaster.

I love Alba but he can't play in 3-4-3 formation. He is for me one of the best LB's in the world but he was always offensively oriented full back. He can't defend in 3-4-3 not to mention he can not go forward in this formation and in that case you lose his biggest strenght.

To be able to play 3-4-3 you must have 3 very fast CB's and a DM who can cover everything which is not the case with Busi. In my opinion in 3-4-3 more players are out of their natural position. Only problem with 4-3-3 is the fact we do not have a RB and that is causing total disbalance in the midfield.

kilian

IMO, we need a 3-4-1-2. Three centrebacks covered on the flanks with alba and roberto going up and down the pitch. In the middle busquets- rakitic with Messi in front of them and Suarez - Neymar duo in the attack.

Home of Barca Fans