Jürgen Klopp

El Flaco

Jurgen Klopp

images

Made his name in Mainz and later on brought Dortmund back to their glory days.
Current manager of Liverpool.

Jurgen Klopp on Premier League vs. La Liga comparision

‘The biggest difference between England and the others is that the competition is always so hard. So, yes, you can play three games if you have teams with special ability, like Manchester City or Manchester United — two teams and let them play.

‘The big difference to Spain is that Barcelona can play 50 per cent of their games with Team B; or there are games where Lionel Messi runs 4.3 kilometres but scores five goals. That’s a recovery session. England has no recovery session, in absolutely any game.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/09/03/football/1472902356_428634.html

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't know what he's talking about. One season outside Germany suddenly makes him an expert in La Liga :facepalm:

If journalists knew their jobs they would have thrown Messi stats in Champions League in his face.

Or..... So many nobodies and average players from La Liga became stars in EPL. He might chew on that a bit too.

Or.. Simple look at the stats of Spanish teams in European Cups versus Englanders.

List goes on but hey, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

F

Flavia

Infected with the epl hype. Messi would destroy most epl teams by walking 1 km.

Gary Neville also thought la liga would be easy.

Klopp doesn't like barca's philosophy. He previously said that not only is it too easy for barça to win some games, but the passing game bores him. He was still at Dortmund then.

Jenks

It's the same thing all managers say though. Even if they're exaggerating there must be something to it.

It's the same thing all managers say though. Even if they're exaggerating there must be something to it.

The EPL is more competitive because the top clubs are weak. The only reason that people can say that the average club is better in England is because since the average club doesn't get to Europe, there isn't any data against foreign clubs. That little "something to do with it" is probably a chauvinistic feeling + a shitton of money. Also, compare that part of Klopp's statement with the dumb-as-fuck comment about barça. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Yannik

Okay, but wasn't the context to this one that he was asked about different playstyles and why enjoys his pressing game over possession football? I believe it was the one where he mentioned orchestras and metal concerts and what he prefers to see from his own teams.

serghei

Imo, his critique is more towards the other teams at the time, that Pep's Barcelona made to look obsolete by comparison and also forced them to improve to keep up, Madrid and Bayern being the best examples of sleeping giants in 2009. It's a major difference between Madrid and Bayern in 2009, and Madrid and Bayern now, and being absolutely trashed by Barcelona, (the 6-2 and 4-0 flattered Real and Bayern) surely raised some red signals at the time, because the difference was absolutely huge.

Last edited:
Okay, but wasn't the context to this one that he was asked about different playstyles and why enjoys his pressing game over possession football? I believe it was the one where he mentioned orchestras and metal concerts and what he prefers to see from his own teams.

It was that quote indeed and yes, sure. I don't really mind what Klopp says, still a great coach, but that other PL quote was just some nasty PR. I doubt Klopp actually thinks that mid table liga teams are inferior to PL ones.

Yannik

It was that quote indeed and yes, sure. I don't really mind what Klopp says, still a great coach, but that other PL quote was just some nasty PR. I doubt Klopp actually thinks that mid table liga teams are inferior to PL ones.

Well he didnt say that though. He only said the gap is closer between bigger and smaller clubs in England, and thats true since there is no team equal to Barca or Madrid there and Liverpool/City etc are not as ahead of the bottom table teams, as Barca is. He can't afford the luxury to rest anyone because even a fit Liverpool squad can loose to Watford and it also barely happens that Liverpool leads with 3-0 at halftime and can afford to sub out starters for recovery reasons. It's not particularly wrong what he says.

Well he didnt say that though. He only said the gap is closer between bigger and smaller clubs in England, and thats true since there is no team equal to Barca or Madrid there and Liverpool/City etc are not as ahead of the bottom table teams, as Barca is. He can't afford the luxury to rest anyone because even a fit Liverpool squad can loose to Watford and it also barely happens that Liverpool leads with 3-0 at halftime and can afford to sub out starters for recovery reasons. It's not particularly wrong what he says.

Actually i think it's pretty clear he's stirring it the other way because that's what they want to hear. He really doesn't come across as pointing out EPL weaknesses and praising Barça. Rather he's suggesting Barça is having an easy time, which apparently doesn't happen in England.

That is praise in his eyes, not "no club is good enough to dominate here". You're letting your own (more reasonable) interpretation get in the way of the words he used.

Home of Barca Fans