Tennis

Mitchell1978

Tennis doesn't and won't have a (clear cut) GOAT, one more slam or a better head-to-head won't be enough imo.
Same for women's tennis.

Richard.H

Tennis doesn't and won't have a (clear cut) GOAT, one more slam or a better head-to-head won't be enough imo.
Same for women's tennis.

I would argue tennis is the only sport where you can make GOAT arguments purely on amount of trophies (Grand slams in this case). It's an individual sport, there's not many excuses you can make for a player underperforming (there's other players, his team didn't play well, bad tactics, etc.).

If a player is better, he should be able to show it on the court. Federer by far has the best fundamentals in the game and perhaps the best couple years of dominance in the sport (2004-2007), but his h2h vs Nadal and Djokovic has been terrible. Dude crumbles under massive pressure. If he wasn't so shaky in crucial match points he would be undisputed GOAT.

EDIT: Yes I know Fed still has the most GS titles but I see Djokovic catching up or surpassing him by 2022. Not too sure about Nadal, still think he's more injury prone than both Fed and Djoker

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

I would argue tennis is the only sport where you can make GOAT arguments purely on amount of trophies (Grand slams in this case). It's an individual sport, there's not many excuses you can make for a player underperforming (there's other players, his team didn't play well, bad tactics, etc.).

If a player is better, he should be able to show it on the court. Federer by far has the best fundamentals in the game and perhaps the best couple years of dominance in the sport (2004-2007), but his h2h vs Nadal and Djokovic has been terrible. Dude crumbles under massive pressure. If he wasn't so shaky in crucial match points he would be undisputed GOAT.

EDIT: Yes I know Fed still has the most GS titles but I see Djokovic catching up or surpassing him by 2022. Not too sure about Nadal, still think he's more injury prone than both Fed and Djoker

There didn't use to be such a big empashis on Grand Slams, thats why players often didn't travel to Australia and so on so probably unfair to judge players from back in the day that way.

Other then that, i stand with what i said, they will all end up around 20 slams with Federer having won more tournaments overall, Djokovic with the best head-to-head and Nadal the most dominant run on a single surface.

There won't be enough difference to call any of them GOAT over the other 2.

KingLeo10

Didn't drop a single set all tournament, lol. And the way he dominated Djoker.

Good luck winning RG from him in the next 2-3 years.

:lol:

KingLeo10

Fed got a few GS against second rate competition. Nadal and Djoker have battled harder competition for all of theirs.

I'd go Rafa > Djoker = Fed for now.

Hardy

congrats, not my GOAT but it's only matter of time since he'll win another 3-4 roland garros at least. huge blow for Nole, this gap with Nadal winning is default annual slam in Paris will be difficult to catch

BarcaGirl

Not to put down Federer, but now that Rafa also has 20 slams, and leads Roger in all time h2h matches (16:24), it's hard to call Federer the goat :coffee:

Home of Barca Fans