Tennis

Richard.H

Rafa can still win 1 or even two non-clay majors. I am certain of this. Just look at how much failure Federer had to endure in recent years, until 2017 came along.

In the AO, Rafa came a whisker away from winning it, as he was actually a break up in the final set.

I think that Rafa's best bet (outside of RG, of course) is the US Open. I would not be surprised if Rafa won that this year, and split the year's majors with RF.

You are completely overlooking the playing style of Nadal and Federer. Nadal has to grind out matches and each point for him takes like 6+ shots. His movements are also extremely detrimental to the human body. Heavy top spin shots (which put a ton of strain on your back), all that sliding, etc. Without his PED's now, he has to be a lot more careful.

Centauri B

Djokovic won 4 straight but not in the same year, Rod Laver has done that twice but that was a long time ago.
At this stage of his career its possible that Federer never again plays the french or even on clay anymore.

This really is the goat period of tennis with 3 top 5 players of all time playing at the same time.

Yes, there can be no argument that Roger is the GOAT as things stand right now. No matter what Laver did when tennis was basically amateurish, or that Novak won four on the trot or that Rafa has a superior H2H. If one examines statistics in their totality, then RF is definitely the GOAT.

Only Rafa could conceivably upset Roger's GOAT-ness if can win a few more and Roger doesn't add any.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You are completely overlooking the playing style of Nadal and Federer. Nadal has to grind out matches and each point for him takes like 6+ shots. His movements are also extremely detrimental to the human body. Heavy top spin shots (which put a ton of strain on your back), all that sliding, etc. Without his PED's now, he has to be a lot more careful.

Forwarding this to the Nadal camp :coffee:

Centauri B

His recent victory at RG was the easiest and most dominant one yet. He came close to winning the AO. He could win 2 or even 3 more RGs. From there on then, whatever else can be added would bring him at or near parity with RF's majors total.

Richard.H

His recent victory at RG was the easiest and most dominant one yet. He came close to winning the AO. He could win 2 or even 3 more RGs. From there on then, whatever else can be added would bring him at or near parity with RF's majors total.

Without a healthy Novak, the RG trophy might as well be handed to him. Like I said, he should focus heavily on RG. Literally his only competition there is Novak.

MagIX

Today is celebrate the victory with all the records, which had resulted.
But only when you can go beyond the numbers, going over the numbers to stop on as he played tennis, the magic of his tennis, you will made him full justice.
CR and Messi have 5 ballon d'or and 4 golden ball: but the difference between the two players is abysmal.

Centauri B

Without a healthy Novak, the RG trophy might as well be handed to him. Like I said, he should focus heavily on RG. Literally his only competition there is Novak.

Even with an inform Novak, Rafa is always the big favorite at RG. Novak only beat him there once, peak Federer never even came close. Rafa would have won RG in 2016 if he didn't had to retire with a wrist problem.

But Rafa, even though he may not be the favorite on fast surfaces, is still capable of winning there IF he is on top form, and even IF his major rivals are in top form themselves. He has done it before, he may do it again.

Neeraj

Djokovic won 4 straight but not in the same year, Rod Laver has done that twice but that was a long time ago.
At this stage of his career its possible that Federer never again plays the french or even on clay anymore.

This really is the goat period of tennis with 3 top 5 players of all time playing at the same time.

Yeah, that's true he didn't technically win the slam, which is good. And I agree, clay is going to be nothing sort of a miracle for Federer. I'm having to make the assumption that Nadal is unfit (which is a longshot because he will do everything he can to make it to RG fit). On top of that you have Novak, who will also likely beat Federer at RG in case Nadal is out... *sigh*

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
I don't think there are any GOAT arguments left. To think that the guy has been winning slams since I was in 6th grade is nuts. He won this slam at age 35... Do any of you realize that most tennis players retire around 32???

It's crazy what we're witnessing. It's truly a moment to cherish and one that will never occur in our lifetimes again. He may be the greatest athlete of all time. GOAT of all GOAT's.
Can't disagree with that.

Richard.H

What a roller coaster of a match. Thiem absolutely choked it in the 4th and completely let Del Potro gain momentum

Richard.H

Terrible display out there by Federer. Had a few set points in the 3rd set and totally messed it up. Shanking shots, missing easy forehands and volleys, seems like his head wasn't in the match.

I hope Del Potro can give a good display vs Nadal. I don't like Delpo, but I dislike Nadal more and I don't want him to get anywhere near Fed's grand slam record.

The semis are the finals, the other half of the draw is piss poor. Kevin Anderson and that other Spanish guy are a joke.

Home of Barca Fans