FC Barcelona basketball team

Leo_Messi

Another convincing win. This time against Baskonia (direct opponent for the 8 playoff places) in the EuroLeague. Pesic doing his magic!

I like the fact that our most senior player is the 32 year old Tomic. All other players, with the exception of the soon to be 32 years, Ribas, are all under 30. With the majority approaching their best years.

Shame that the two Gasol brothers do not want to come back anytime soon. Could have been great and nostalgic to have them around for a push for the EuroLeague trophy.

The most disgusting club in the universe.

Fuck them and their disgusting media campaign and crying. Outside of that final action, every referering decision went in their favor. ACB should kick them out if they are really threatening to leave. Obviously won't happen.

Last edited:

raki

5th game against Madrid this season and the 4th win.
Today another away win.

1st in the league and 5th in CL group stage.

Leo_Messi

Have a very hard time believing that this current board (that have neglected our basketball section criminally) would be able to not only land a player like Mirotic but Cory Higgins, Brandon Davies and most likely Álex Abrines as well. That would probably make us instant favorites for the Euroleague and all the domestic titles.

Pesic renewing until 2021 is great news. He has been one of the main reasons for our return to the top after a very, very pathetic state given the history and standards of our basketball section, especially in more recent decades.

Pangos won't continue and it is almost a given that Singleton will follow suit.

If we could just get rid of freaking Tomic, I would be very happy.

Sorin

It's clear as day that Bartomeu tries to buy his presidential spot in 2021. Splurging money on the basketball section and buying the likes of Griezmann and Neymar in the hopes we will win the CL before 2021 is the only way he gets reelected. IIRC we are also rumoured to buy the current best woman football player in the world, the Norwegian gal from Lyon. Ok, fair enough but where will the funding come from Barto? Or is he going to postpone the refurbishment of Camp Nou once again and sink us in massive amounts of debt?

I'm afraid that it will back-fire big time.

Leo_Messi

It's clear as day that Bartomeu tries to buy his presidential spot in 2021. Splurging money on the basketball section and buying the likes of Griezmann and Neymar in the hopes we will win the CL before 2021 is the only way he gets reelected. IIRC we are also rumoured to buy the current best woman football player in the world, the Norwegian gal from Lyon. Ok, fair enough but where will the funding come from Barto? Or is he going to postpone the refurbishment of Camp Nou once again and sink us in massive amounts of debt?

I'm afraid that it will back-fire big time.

The sections being invested in (what makes Barça such a great sports club if not the greatest) is absolutely fundamental. However as you point out years of neglect and suddenly "waking up" just highlights the fact that not only the football team but likewise the basketball section (much more so in fact) have lacked any direction or sporting project.

The other sections have done very well overall in comparison.

I don't think that money is or will be a problem. Not with our economic growth, enormous fanbase and all the sponsorship deals that come into effect from this summer.

What is needed are long-term sporting projects with clear goals and objectives and spending money wisely. The basketball team has always had money it has just been incredibly poorly managed and largely wasted on the wrong signings, has-beens or good quality players simply not fitting in.

Getting the likes of Mirotic, Cory Higgins, Brandon Davies and Abrines is the way to go rather than spending the exact same kind of money on 6-8 above average players.

Sorin

The sections being invested in (what makes Barça such a great sports club if not the greatest) is absolutely fundamental. However as you point out years of neglect and suddenly "waking up" just highlights the fact that not only the football team but likewise the basketball section (much more so in fact) have lacked any direction or sporting project.

The other sections have done very well overall in comparison.

I don't think that money is or will be a problem. Not with our economic growth, enormous fanbase and all the sponsorship deals that come into effect from this summer.

What is needed are long-term sporting projects with clear goals and objectives and spending money wisely. The basketball team has always had money it has just been incredibly poorly managed and largely wasted on the wrong signings, has-beens or good quality players simply not fitting in.

Getting the likes of Mirotic, Cory Higgins, Brandon Davies and Abrines is the way to go rather than spending the exact same kind of money on 6-8 above average players.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind investment in all the sporting sections. Like you say, it's a big reason why we are the club that we are, just that the timing of it all makes it suspicious to me.

IMO Bartomeu is buying these guys because they are big names with great recognition across the world and in Barcelona, so that when the elections come he can parade them and show what a great president he has been. However his vision, on the sporting side of things, is beyond shit so I have no confidence that these singings are some sort of part of a bigger growth plan for the future.

Really, really hope that every one of the purcheses from this summer is going to bring great success to the club, both in the present and the future but I still think theres a catch with such spending. Like postponing the constructions of the Espai Barca project for a couple more years. Unless they've already found a sponsor for the Camp Nou and we will start funding it from that but from what I've read they still haven't found one yet. Would hate to have to rename it though.

Leo_Messi

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind investment in all the sporting sections. Like you say, it's a big reason why we are the club that we are, just that the timing of it all makes it suspicious to me.

IMO Bartomeu is buying these guys because they are big names with great recognition across the world and in Barcelona, so that when the elections come he can parade them and show what a great president he has been. However his vision, on the sporting side of things, is beyond shit so I have no confidence that these singings are some sort of part of a bigger growth plan for the future.

Really, really hope that every one of the purcheses from this summer is going to bring great success to the club, both in the present and the future but I still think theres a catch with such spending. Like postponing the constructions of the Espai Barca project for a couple more years. Unless they've already found a sponsor for the Camp Nou and we will start funding it from that but from what I've read they still haven't found one yet. Would hate to have to rename it though.

We don't disagree at all. I have probably been the most vocal critic of this current board ever since 2010. I saw all of this coming (unfortunately) years ago. Warned about it on this very forum. Us winning the triplete back in 2015 did not change my mind for a second.

See post 4796 in the Bartomeu thread (should be renamed to Bartofeo or something even less flattering):

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/11687-Josep-Maria-Bartomeu/page320

I would go as far and say that he has no sporting vision. The only reason why all of our sporting sections have not been utterly underperforming is due to some sections being managed by competent people and due to the strong and successful fundament that Laporta constructed. That and the sheer quality of the players.

We will have to see about the funding part. I don't think that money will be or has ever been a problem since 2003. It is more about spending it wisely. Unlike what has been done with the basketball (in particular) and football sections in the past few years. Contrary to our main rival (RM) who has done much better in that department.

Home of Barca Fans