Hockey/NHL

thezone

Niklas Lundström (Swedish GK) was incredible, best player on the ice by far

The Russian goalie was better during the game but Lundström looked like a robot during the SO, following the puck a just waiting out the player.

thezone

two good games coming up.

Russia Canada will be a good match up since Russia is home nation and people really expect them to take medal with their home support. Canada should want to show their fans that they do have a heart for hockey.

Sweden - USA will be a good game since Sweden been loosing the last 3 U18 finals against USA and a lot of the players from those games are in the U20 team now. These players are looking forward to this chance to show they are better.

thezone

Oilers last two years number one picks played in this tournament and were pretty disappointing. I expected much more from Nugent-Hopkins considering he got a year in the NHL behind him now. Yakupov i dont know much about but going as number 1 in the draft and playing at home i expected him to make a bigger mark. Oilers are stuck in the bottom and will be for some time. I like Kruger though, he could make a difference.

AURELIUS

He IS Russian.

What does this mean ?

When Bragin was coaching the u20 side you saw none of this and several players from last years side were in this one. Same with the seniors.

It's not a Russian thing at all it is the coaching. The Red Machine fielded some of the greatest units ever seen in hockey including the one that went on to Detroit. While it is exciting to see the great stick handling skills and at pace there is nothing like team work. When several brilliant individuals combine as in the Red Machine they are unstoppable.

Yakupov for instance has done well with the Sarnia Sting and was a point per game with Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk in the KHL impressed in the Subway Series and then all of a sudden in Ufa decides to become a puckhog.

At least the netminding with Makarov and Vasilevski is in safe hands something which was being cried about a few seasons ago. Tretiak at least has got that in order.

thezone

The big red machine was synchronized and passed brilliantly between each other but when Sovjet fell that changed. Mogilny was one of the russians who started playing in the team but left for NHL and never got fully into the system. Mogilny was a great player but not the best team player. Most Russians coming afterwards were more interested in getting high salaries and playing for themselves. For sure you have players that have been developing into great team players. Most notably the russians going through Red Wings. Fetisov and Larionov hated Tichonov and thats the main reason they went to Detorit and refused to continue playing for the big red machine.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Finns screwing this tournament up royally. The press is all over those guys for not showing when it mattered. Seriously, they nearly took a beating from THAT Swiss side.

An enormously disappointing tournament, and can't say there are any future stars in that team bar Armia, Barkov, Granlund and M. Aaltonen.

Armia annoys me. He's NHL quality and very skilled but he's a turnover machine who can't use his size or keep it simple.

On the other hand while Finland's lower end defensive prospects were woeful, for the first time in ages the U20 team has 3 guys who should reach the NHL - Maattaa and Ristolainen are the best Finnish defensive prospects since Timmonen, and Pokka is up there. Ristolainen is my second favourite defender in the upcoming draft after Jones.

Shame the forward prospects except for Armia and Barkov are all damn small, and the Finns are almost as bad as the Czechs when it comes to skating.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Since my regular fantasy league voted to take the year off despite my attempts to convince them otherwise, who here would be interested if I organize some fantasy NHL?

barcanuck

Yay we're back in business. I'm locally going to boycott the Canucks. Not going to see them live anymore unless it's free.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Alright suckers, I'm sure some of you are too annoyed with hockey right now to care, but if anyone is interested, I made a fantasy league and should have plenty of open space.

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/44796
ID: 44796
Password: oleoleoleole

I'd appreciate if you tell me if you are going to join, so I know who is who. Draft will be (hopefully) sunday.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
:beer2:

A few other former Barcaforum people are in too, anyone else want in before I start asking non-internet friends? Thezone maybe?

In other news, the Leafs fire Burke :lol:

AURELIUS

The Russian goalie was better during the game but Lundström looked like a robot during the SO, following the puck a just waiting out the player.

Lundstrom is a very capable netminder. Hasn't he been playing in the Elitserien this season.

Overall there is not much difference between the medalling teams at the u20. I have to pick you up on Fetisov and company. They were great team players before they arrived at the Red Wings. They do not hate Tikhonov as such but were angered by some of his tactics in trying to keep them within the Soviet Union at the time.

I do wish junior coaches would be a bit more team focused. It doesn't seem to have done any harm with the USA who base a lot of their coaching on the old Soviet manuals. Sweden have also overhauled their junior coaching and it has been showing in the results they are acheiving.

Will everyone who is in the KHL decide to come back to the NHL ?

HV71 lead the Elitserien with Skellefteå AIK behind them. In the KHL SKA St.Petersburg lead the Western Conference with Avangard Omsk leading the Eastern conference narrowly from Kazan.

Home of Barca Fans