Basketball/NBA

George_Costanza

thats like saying the championship is better then the premier league

the NBA is where all the top players are

Ask any American who is into basketball he will tell you the same! No big money in NCAA that's why it's not covered internationally but the passion, the atmosphere, the entertainment, and biggest sports rivalries are college basketball and football. The atmosphere in indoor college stadium is an experience of a lifetime, especially in the playoffs/NCAA has March Madness and college rivalry. Students camp outside the stadiums for a week for a chance to watch a game. FYI, College basketball is more popular than NBA in many parts of the USA.

Mitchell1978

Ask any American who is into basketball he will tell you the same! No big money in NCAA that's why it's not covered internationally but the passion, the atmosphere, the entertainment, and biggest sports rivalries are college basketball and football. The atmosphere in indoor college stadium is an experience of a lifetime, especially in the playoffs/NCAA has March Madness and college rivalry. Students camp outside the stadiums for a week for a chance to watch a game. FYI, College basketball is more popular than NBA in many parts of the USA.

I know about college sports but its not the highest level of the sport so it doesn't really intrest me.

El Trencaxarxes

I mean, the NCAA is a billion dollar industry where the athletes generating all the money are essentially paid jackshit. They are playing for the opportunity to go into the NBA, however, so at the end of the day, money is exactly what is at stake for these kids. So I don't know about the whole "no big money involved" argument. I don't really think that stands. I don't think that's why college sports aren't covered internationally.

As for the atmosphere, there is no doubt that it is infinitely better than in the NBA, but that honestly doesn't say a whole lot since the NBA is generally an embarrassment in that aspect. Even if places like the Oracle and the Chesapeake Energy Arena can really be popping off at times, especially so during the playoffs. I went to a Clippers game two years ago (when they were still relevant) and it was like going to a book-conference or something like that. Embarrassingly quiet and no semblance of intensity in the stands whatsoever.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Ehh I don't agree with this. Maybe if you're a Duke/Kentucky fan or the likes lol.

March madness is a unique thing in American sports because of how unpredictable it is but a vast majority of basketball fans prefer the NBA anyday. The difference in quality of play is enormous. Players in college brick the easiest shots and there's far less in terms of captivating skill highlights.

The sheer amazement that players like Lebron/Curry/etc. and many other star players in the NBA bring trumps the competition of NCAA basketball. If Golden State weren't so dominating in the playoffs every single year then most people would speak more favorably about the NBA. Even though they don't like the ending now, they still watch it intently though.

In real championship years like Warriors-Cavs in 2016 or Warriors-Rockets WCF last season most of the country drops and watches. The level of play is just so impressive.

NCAA basketball isn't at that level. College football has a strong argument for being more popular than the NFL, and is by far the biggest college sport.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
College football and College basketball are more exciting to watch due to the lower level of play there.

At the end of the day when it comes to Championships it's usually the same teams up there every year. Like Alabama are going to fucking walk the National Championship this year and the next one. There's no way they're going to lose there unless their QB gets hurt, and even then they're probably the favorites.

And you cannot compare the fans of College Sports and Professional Sports. Like some High School teams will probably have better atmosphere than some professional sports teams. Younger fans that get more drunk, more loud with a lot of banter. Just how it is.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
College football and College basketball are more exciting to watch due to the lower level of play there.

At the end of the day when it comes to Championships it's usually the same teams up there every year. Like Alabama are going to fucking walk the National Championship this year and the next one. There's no way they're going to lose there unless their QB gets hurt, and even then they're probably the favorites.

Football I agree, especially with the culture around college football. You could say college basketball is more exciting on average (playoffs wise), because it is the NCAA sport with the most parity/competition.

However the draw of star players in the NBA is something else. There's several millions of fans of single players like Lebron and Curry. Star NBA players are the most recognizable athletes in all of American sports, and that is rightful considering the generation of talent out there right now and the kind of play they can produce.

Just look on the internet for reference. If you go on twitter, the basketball discussion is almost UNANIMOUSLY about the NBA (even when both seasons are going on simultaneously) and people obsess over seeing their favorites. The only college basketball discussion is usually about players who are top 3 picks and their place in the NBA. If you look on reddit, r/NBA completely dwarves r/CollegeBasketball like 4:1.

The disparity between r/NFL and r/CFB is a lot smaller. And a huge chunk of NFL fans are focused only on fantasy at that.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The disparity between r/NFL and r/CFB is a lot smaller. And a huge chunk of NFL fans are focused only on fantasy at that.

That's because a lot of football fans are fans of the sport through college allegiance, which is why they don't care about the NFL apart from a few odd games every year and the Super Bowl.

I do love the fan/allegiance culture in American Sports and particularly College Football. It's very fascinating and cool to me at least.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
The only good thing happening in Minnesota is D. Rose. Butler and Thibs need to be shipped out ASAP.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Minnesota send Jimmy Butler to Philadelphia for Dario Saric and Robert Covington.

Minnesota is very happy with the deal not only do they get two starters that play hard and shoot the ball well, they also get KAT back. :D

We’ll see how it goes with Philly.

khaled_a_d

Minnesota send Jimmy Butler to Philadelphia for Dario Saric and Robert Covington.

Minnesota is very happy with the deal not only do they get two starters that play hard and shoot the ball well, they also get KAT back. :D

We’ll see how it goes with Philly.

I think you won this trade easily, good for you.

FCBfan22

Dončič is sooo good. So happy that he left Real and now I can root for him in peace.

But that said, I have to give it to uncle Flo. He signed him when he was 13...

Home of Barca Fans