Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140
Results 2,086 to 2,090 of 2090

Thread: Basketball/NBA

Quote Originally Posted by serghei View Post
    Same. Michel Jordan is unique. The talent of Messi/Federer and the mentality of Cristiano Ronaldo/Nadal in the same athlete.
    Nadal always has a great in game attitude but even he isn't the killer Jordan was from the get go.

And CR7 to much of an egomaniac/narcissist to deserve such a comparison, Jordan was a win at all cost kind of player not a me at all cost kind of player.

Villarato!
    Nadal doesn't even have half the obsession gene of CRs. Besides people have used all kinds of comparisons to downplay the guy's raw athletic gift. Silly equivalence TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell1978 View Post
    And CR7 to much of an egomaniac/narcissist to deserve such a comparison, Jordan was a win at all cost kind of player not a me at all cost kind of player.
    CR's manias or perceived narcissism come from a place of childhood guilt and insecurity, which is also part of Jordan's story who even talked about how always tried to compete with his siblings and then to make his father's wishes come true. Except he understood the unhealthy aspect of obsession, unlike CR. CR would have stayed on the Bulls until he broke every record possible i.e. surpassing Kareem in numbers. It's extreme drive, which is incredible in itself, but the application of anything you get coached is a genuine talent. CRs story is actually quite a tragic one, unlike Michael's. Not that he's looking for sympathy, or has earned any.
    Last edited by Wolfe; 17th May 2020 at 08:22 PM.
    People are boring.

Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    Yup. If Messi had dominated in the WC final and scored 1 or 2 and won it, I would put him in the Jordan category. To me, he is one of many GOATs in football, not unanimous.

But I can't. By the way, I would also put Djokovic in the CR7/Nadal category. He is the most clutch single sports athlete I've ever seen.
    Yea, Djokovic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell1978 View Post
    Nadal always has a great in game attitude but even he isn't the killer Jordan was from the get go.

I don't have any problem with Ronaldo's egomaniac personality. It didn't diminish him in any way, except for tabloid talk and internet forums. He achieved the success he was hungry for, and this translated to his teams. Not much different than Jordan, Federer, Nadal, Messi and other greats.

I make clear separation between sports personality and person in general. As a person, Messi, Ronaldo, Jordan, Federer, many have more flaws, vices and so on than any regular person, be it a bus driver, a teacher, a cashier and so on. The only thing you know for sure Ronaldo/Messi is better than x or y is playing football. That's it. This doesn't somehow enriches them with some sort of nobility in other areas of the mind or soul. Doesn't make them less greedy, less egoistic, or particularly smarter. Me or you can have many things we do better and are better than Messi at for example. But he has one thing he's much much better than us at, and has found a way to make a career out of it.

So, I don't really care for anything these people do except playing their sport. Any flaws or qualities they might have besides those that are helping them in their sport are pretty much irrelevant.
    Last edited by serghei; 17th May 2020 at 10:50 PM.

MJ was a notorious competitor and just did whatever it takes to win. His trash talking was straight up insulting most times. Dude only cared about winning and nothing else. Guy slapped Kerr on the face during a practice session.
    Laugh , smile or cry

Jugadorazo till I die

- catalinutzR80 2014

Beautiful last episode, very touching the part on Kerr, the editing of the last minutes of game 6 with that soundtrack so amazing, and finally some credit for Jerry Krause who fucked up that season but after all he's the man who assembled the dinasty.

Overall I just loved it, my admiration for MJ, imho the greatest athlete of all time, can only increase after this documentary though I already knew pretty much all the anecdotes told (except big adidas fail )

My fav episode the 7th, the powerful ending speech of Mike is the segment that defines him as athlete.

P.S. Rodman was a true hero