Basketball/NBA

Mitchell1978

Same. Michel Jordan is unique. The talent of Messi/Federer and the mentality of Cristiano Ronaldo/Nadal in the same athlete.

Nadal always has a great in game attitude but even he isn't the killer Jordan was from the get go.

And CR7 to much of an egomaniac/narcissist to deserve such a comparison, Jordan was a win at all cost kind of player not a me at all cost kind of player.

El Gato

Villarato!
Nadal doesn't even have half the obsession gene of CRs. Besides people have used all kinds of comparisons to downplay the guy's raw athletic gift. Silly equivalence TBH

And CR7 to much of an egomaniac/narcissist to deserve such a comparison, Jordan was a win at all cost kind of player not a me at all cost kind of player.

CR's manias or perceived narcissism come from a place of childhood guilt and insecurity, which is also part of Jordan's story who even talked about how always tried to compete with his siblings and then to make his father's wishes come true. Except he understood the unhealthy aspect of obsession, unlike CR. CR would have stayed on the Bulls until he broke every record possible i.e. surpassing Kareem in numbers. It's extreme drive, which is incredible in itself, but the application of anything you get coached is a genuine talent. CRs story is actually quite a tragic one, unlike Michael's. Not that he's looking for sympathy, or has earned any.

Last edited:

serghei

Yup. If Messi had dominated in the WC final and scored 1 or 2 and won it, I would put him in the Jordan category. To me, he is one of many GOATs in football, not unanimous.

But I can't. By the way, I would also put Djokovic in the CR7/Nadal category. He is the most clutch single sports athlete I've ever seen.

Yea, Djokovic as well.

Nadal always has a great in game attitude but even he isn't the killer Jordan was from the get go.

I don't have any problem with Ronaldo's egomaniac personality. It didn't diminish him in any way, except for tabloid talk and internet forums. He achieved the success he was hungry for, and this translated to his teams. Not much different than Jordan, Federer, Nadal, Messi and other greats.

I make clear separation between sports personality and person in general. As a person, Messi, Ronaldo, Jordan, Federer, many have more flaws, vices and so on than any regular person, be it a bus driver, a teacher, a cashier and so on. The only thing you know for sure Ronaldo/Messi is better than x or y is playing football. That's it. This doesn't somehow enriches them with some sort of nobility in other areas of the mind or soul. Doesn't make them less greedy, less egoistic, or particularly smarter. Me or you can have many things we do better and are better than Messi at for example. But he has one thing he's much much better than us at, and has found a way to make a career out of it.

So, I don't really care for anything these people do except playing their sport. Any flaws or qualities they might have besides those that are helping them in their sport are pretty much irrelevant.

Last edited:

Richard.H

MJ was a notorious competitor and just did whatever it takes to win. His trash talking was straight up insulting most times. Dude only cared about winning and nothing else. Guy slapped Kerr on the face during a practice session.

Hardy

Beautiful last episode, very touching the part on Kerr, the editing of the last minutes of game 6 with that soundtrack so amazing, and finally some credit for Jerry Krause who fucked up that season but after all he's the man who assembled the dinasty.

Overall I just loved it, my admiration for MJ, imho the greatest athlete of all time, can only increase after this documentary though I already knew pretty much all the anecdotes told (except big adidas fail :lol:)

My fav episode the 7th, the powerful ending speech of Mike is the segment that defines him as athlete.

P.S. Rodman was a true hero :lol:

khaled_a_d

NBA is back with scrimmage games.
I don't have high hopes for my Mavs tbh, we have a historical offensive season but the worst defense of all play-off teams.
Bench has so many injuries and we lack playoff experience, and worst of all we are most likely facing Clippers who are the worst match up for us.

khaled_a_d

This I absolutely despise about basketball RN.
I know we're not meant to be regressive and should give credit to 3PT shooters for making what is probably the most difficult shot in the game a routine, but it's made the game so.. bland. There's something really primal, fiery and competitive about watching mid-range game and the fact that right now for you to be the best player in NBA you just need to be as mechanical as possible about your jumper, it takes away from the battle experience IMO. But maybe it is the 'old man' in me talking.

Something must be done IMO. I'm not sure if NBA is 'more popular than ever' or if it's just jogging along in ratings and popularity, without looking at the data I'd say it isn't. And if it isn't then we need to perhaps add value to the game inside the arc. Not sure how.
Make 'and-a-foul' plays inside the key get +2 free throws?

NBA rating peaked in 2018 but is in decline since then (covid-19 situation likely to boost rating since people are desperate for entertainment) and that was including even illegal streaming.
The NBA is able to cash on international market unlike other American sports, being 3rd most popular sport after football and Cricket helps.
The alarming decline is age related, millenials and gen z (age 18-34) are the biggest decline. Facebook and twitter declined streaming deals with NBA as they found that most people are interested in short highlights clips than watching the game or even long highlight videos.
This is what Silver has built with NBA, he dragged it into becoming an All-Star type of basketball. It is a 48 minutes highlight videos that lasts for 150 minutes to be played. With long stops thanks to enormous free throw numbers.
You can't argue that technically it is better, offenses are more dominant etc. But as entertainment it is less. Dominant mid range players like Dirk/Kawhi/MJ were something else. Now 3 & D players are more valuable to teams than having an artist like Iverson. At the end it is an entertainment industry and this is less entertaining.

3Pt and free throws are least esthetical shots in basketballs along open lay up. and now they are the majority.

NBA are not feeling the heat of change as they are getting bigger deals thanks to international market, and MLB/NHL doing worse. Even NFL is doing worse from my understanding. But if current trends continue they will have to adjust and make things different to current type of game. More tactically challenged.

Birdy

This I absolutely despise about basketball RN.
I know we're not meant to be regressive and should give credit to 3PT shooters for making what is probably the most difficult shot in the game a routine, but it's made the game so.. bland. There's something really primal, fiery and competitive about watching mid-range game and the fact that right now for you to be the best player in NBA you just need to be as mechanical as possible about your jumper, it takes away from the battle experience IMO. But maybe it is the 'old man' in me talking.

Something must be done IMO. I'm not sure if NBA is 'more popular than ever' or if it's just jogging along in ratings and popularity, without looking at the data I'd say it isn't. And if it isn't then we need to perhaps add value to the game inside the arc. Not sure how.
Make 'and-a-foul' plays inside the key get +2 free throws?

+1
I have the same feelings about the evolution of Bball. It's following opposite trajectory to the evolution of football since the 90s in my eyes.
The ability to score easily from basically as far as one likes, kind of negates the notion of 'guarding spaces' which is basic in other sports where a goal has to be reached in order for someone to score. The basic principle that the closer you get the more likely it is to score, does not apply anymore, the whole thing has gotten astray

May sound silly, but I think shrinking the diameter of the basket, so as to make 3pters more difficult, might be a solution to bring new life to the sport.

El Gato

Villarato!
Don't think making a high-point play more difficult will dissuade people from trying to make a basket, they'll just try to get good at it. IMO you need to give them an incentive to get inside by giving them something better than a 3PT shot.

Mitchell1978

+1

May sound silly, but I think shrinking the diameter of the basket, so as to make 3pters more difficult, might be a solution to bring new life to the sport.

sounds silly indeed, many other things they try in stead, starting with perhaps no more 3 foul shots when fouled on a 3 pt attempt

Besides turning into a 3-point shooting contest right now you also get the impression that 'Black Lives Matter' threw up all over the NBA, its becoming cringeworthy to watch.

khaled_a_d

you also get the impression that 'Black Lives Matter' threw up all over the NBA, its becoming cringeworthy to watch.

People are overreacting a bit.
The NBA is a league dominated by black athletes, and most of good/decent white players are international.

It is normal that BLM gains huge support there. The BLM slogan on court ain't bad either.

The "messages" on jersey is cringy, but it was sort of a bribe by the league so that players thinking about staying out of bubble will play. So it is acceptable.

Only thing that feel really forced is the whole kneeling thing, but if you are non American why should you care? It is that the news report anyone not kneeling that feels awkward and a bit disgusting.

I don't get why NBA is using anthem anyway? 25% of the league isn't American and there is team in Canada.
Nevermind it is still awkward to see anthem in domestic league.

FinBarcelonafan

Kneeling is very weird. I wouldn't want to kneel Queen of England, because I just find it odd for modern day. Does it make me a bad person? I would probably kneel front of Queen but I would hate it. (Out of being polite).

I can understand the people who stand. It doesn't make them racist. The whole thing is odd. Nobody should be kneeling on anybody. We are not living in 1500 anymore.

Or is there some historical merit to kneeling? Where does it come from?

Last edited:

Morten

I dont have much to say here, except the fact that basketball is lame, you as much as breathe on somebody and its a free throw(or whatever its called), at least handball allows for some physicality.

Vilarrubi

People are overreacting a bit.
The NBA is a league dominated by black athletes, and most of good/decent white players are international.

It is normal that BLM gains huge support there. The BLM slogan on court ain't bad either.

The "messages" on jersey is cringy, but it was sort of a bribe by the league so that players thinking about staying out of bubble will play. So it is acceptable.

Only thing that feel really forced is the whole kneeling thing, but if you are non American why should you care? It is that the news report anyone not kneeling that feels awkward and a bit disgusting.

I don't get why NBA is using anthem anyway? 25% of the league isn't American and there is team in Canada.
Nevermind it is still awkward to see anthem in domestic league.

Yeah. Mad times we live in when people get branded racist for NOT doing something or conforming to the masses, not for committing racist acts. Like the rugby player Israel Folau didn’t kneel the other day before a game, news all over it and people criticising him. Many more examples of this. He and anyone else has the right not to kneel.

Home of Barca Fans