Basketball/NBA

khaled_a_d

Dončič is sooo good. So happy that he left Real and now I can root for him in peace.

But that said, I have to give it to uncle Flo. He signed him when he was 13...

Been saying that before, was really happy when my team drafted him. watched almost every game with the Mavs. Good heir for Dirk

George_Costanza

Football I agree, especially with the culture around college football. You could say college basketball is more exciting on average (playoffs wise), because it is the NCAA sport with the most parity/competition.

However, the draw of star players in the NBA is something else. There's several millions of fans of single players like Lebron and Curry. Star NBA players are the most recognizable athletes in all of American sports, and that is rightful considering the generation of talent out there right now and the kind of play they can produce.

Just look on the internet for reference. If you go on twitter, the basketball discussion is almost UNANIMOUSLY about the NBA (even when both seasons are going on simultaneously) and people obsess over seeing their favorites. The only college basketball discussion is usually about players who are top 3 picks and their place in the NBA. If you look on reddit, r/NBA completely dwarves r/CollegeBasketball like 4:1.

The disparity between r/NFL and r/CFB is a lot smaller. And a huge chunk of NFL fans are focused only on fantasy at that.

For me, NBA players are more skilled and are clearly more athletic, but have attitude issues. Most of the star players are spoiled only motivated by money, what annoys me most they bitch and complain about every single call that the refs do make. As you said, there are several millions of fans of single players like Lebron and Curry. NCAA it's about the team, it's more pure and exciting. More teams are playing college basketball than NBA and the NCAA Tournament’s single elimination format is what makes it so challenging. Upsets can occur in the blink of an eye, one loss can doom a team’s chances at a high seed, and an easier path to the Final Four. Although NCAA has powerhouse teams like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and Louisville you can often see a new team winning the National Championship. In comparison, the NBA regular season has so many meaningless games (more than half season), making it pointless to watch some games until the playoffs or you if you follow your star players.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
You know there are games before March Madness? Where high ranked teams destroy lower ranked/not even ranked teams on a regular basis to determine the ranking in the national tournament. Sort of a regular season.
Pro and college sports have totally different cultures. But no matter how popular College Football and Basketball are the pro leagues are still no.1 and have to most supporters.

I have to add though: Although I have been a huge Basketball fan since the 90s when I was a little kid many aspects of the NBA really annoy me.
Rules favor offense more and more and really eliminate the breed of the defensive stopper. Of course this also happened because of zone defense but defenders are not able to guard their opponents hard near the basket anymore.
Regular season games look like the All Star Game 80% of the time. Just up and down running, no defense and throwing up threes at every opportunity.
Super team mentality is also annoying.

Add my Bulls being in total rebuild mode and there is not much interest in watching regular season games right now.

CatalinR10

For anyone who is watching nba , what was the purpose of lebron going to lakers ? They don't have many chances of going to the playoffs , right ?

khaled_a_d

For anyone who is watching nba , what was the purpose of lebron going to lakers ? They don't have many chances of going to the playoffs , right ?

Retirement home IMHO.
Lebron is almost 34, he has owned house there for around a decade and his family lives their in the off-season. His Legacy is all but cemented anyway.
Basketball wise I think sixers would have made more sense, think he will lead Lakers to play offs.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Retirement home IMHO.
Lebron is almost 34, he has owned house there for around a decade and his family lives their in the off-season. His Legacy is all but cemented anyway.
Basketball wise I think sixers would have made more sense, think he will lead Lakers to play offs.

Better lifestyle, can build his brand even more with all the Hollywood connections there.

And he's willing to sacrifice this season. The Lakers can possibly get both Kawhi Leonard(through Free Agency) and Anthony Davis(through Trade) next season which would make them a formidable team.

The Sixers are too young and the organization a bit volatile.

AD recently signed with LBJ's agent and is a FA in 2020, but if the Pelicans want to get something for him they might have to trade him next season if he only want to join the Lakers.

The Lakers can offer their young players like Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma/Hart. I find these guys to be overrated anyway, especially Ingram and Lonzo. Rebuilding through them will not make the Lakers a championship team in the future and LeBron is way, way too ambitious to settle for mediocrity for more than a year.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Better lifestyle, can build his brand even more with all the Hollywood connections there.

And he's willing to sacrifice this season. The Lakers can possibly get both Kawhi Leonard(through Free Agency) and Anthony Davis(through Trade) next season which would make them a formidable team.

The Sixers are too young and the organization a bit volatile.

AD recently signed with LBJ's agent and is a FA in 2020, but if the Pelicans want to get something for him they might have to trade him next season if he only want to join the Lakers.

The Lakers can offer their young players like Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma/Hart. I find these guys to be overrated anyway, especially Ingram and Lonzo. Rebuilding through them will not make the Lakers a championship team in the future and LeBron is way, way too ambitious to settle for mediocrity for more than a year.

As I said I think it is a retiring home for him,life style Hollywood etc
And no,Lakers are at the end of the race to get those guys
LeBron will be close to 35 next year,most super stars don't like playing with him as they feel overshadowed by him and that he is their boss not just teammate

Everyone knows Kawhi don't like them and prefer Clippers on them, Paul George didn't even give them a meeting, half of the league will have cap space
Lakers have nothing to trade for Davis, Ingram & Ball are overrated, Pelicans xan get way better deal from Celtics

I like LeBron,but I think we have witnessed his last final appearance

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
As I said I think it is a retiring home for him,life style Hollywood etc
And no,Lakers are at the end of the race to get those guys
LeBron will be close to 35 next year,most super stars don't like playing with him as they feel overshadowed by him and that he is their boss not just teammate

Everyone knows Kawhi don't like them and prefer Clippers on them, Paul George didn't even give them a meeting, half of the league will have cap space
Lakers have nothing to trade for Davis, Ingram & Ball are overrated, Pelicans xan get way better deal from Celtics

I like LeBron,but I think we have witnessed his last final appearance

I will come back to quote this :coffee:

And I'm not even a big fan of LeBron, but he's not the kind of player to just lay down and retire like that, which is showing already this season. If the Lakers don't get some big moves he'll be gone.

Boston would not trade for AD if he made it clear he want to play for the Lakers only. Why move valuable assets for a one year rental? Also Kawhi is a weird dude, he's not made it clear he prefers the Clippers. Every month you have "sources" close to him saying he's open to both LA teams and the second month it's the Clippers only.

What's clear is that he's going to end up in LA and if he want to win he should go for the Lakers which will always be a place players would want to go due to their history. More so now with Magic Johnson steering the ship.

It all depends on whether they want to win or not.

Paul George is a pussy anyway. If he want to play second fiddle to a guy who is one of the reasons his franchise will never win a Championship and is the reason someone like Durant left then the Lakers should be grateful.

OKC had KD, Harden and Westbrook. Didn't want to pay Harden or were able to, and never held Westbrook accountable leading to Durant walking away. They ended up with the worst player out of those three if their goal is to WIN.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I will come back to quote this :coffee:

And I'm not even a big fan of LeBron, but he's not the kind of player to just lay down and retire like that, which is showing already this season. If the Lakers don't get some big moves he'll be gone.

Boston would not trade for AD if he made it clear he want to play for the Lakers only. Why move valuable assets for a one year rental? Also Kawhi is a weird dude, he's not made it clear he prefers the Clippers. Every month you have "sources" close to him saying he's open to both LA teams and the second month it's the Clippers only.

What's clear is that he's going to end up in LA and if he want to win he should go for the Lakers which will always be a place players would want to go due to their history. More so now with Magic Johnson steering the ship.

Lakers have been bad organization since 2010, and Magic didn't change that, they aren't attractive to FA anymore. Lebron might change it a bit but not for huge super stars.
Magic has build bad team around Lebron actually, weird fits etc, and you know what? Lebron himself said he is the one who picked those guys.? Do you think a super star like Kawhi would like it there? A weird introvert like him would love the spotlight of Lakers and the hate of fans that will build up if he went there? KD already showed him that not everyone can handle this? I think Kawhi is a pipedream
And Davis won't say he would go only to LA? You are basing it only on him Rich Paul? The guy who uses Lebron to get his crappy players big money? come on now
Celtics is as big of a name as Lakers and have way bigger assets than Lakers badly drafted players like Ball and Ingram whom Pelicans might prefer to stand still than get those guys who worth nothing for them.
Teams has been already shown that even if you aren't on a player list it is still smart thing to do trade for him and show him what can happen here.
PS: I think Kawhi will stay in Canada, same wor Kemba and most free agents. KD likely leaves if he wins again

Leo_Messi

Doncic is indeed a generational talent at least on the European level. I think that he will easily win the NBA Rookie of the Year Award. Deandre Ayton is probably his only rival.

No surprise that RM was dominating FCB domestically and in Europe. Obviously Doncic was only 1 reason why that was the case but not a little one.

As a long-time Lakers fan (18+ years - started early as a kid obsessed with the NBA and basketball - only second to football) the past 5 years have been a long, grueling desert walk with no destination. Nowadays, at least, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully Lebron will be a stepping stone for something much larger in terms of new arrivals. The Warriors (Silicon Valley) are here to stay and that is great news as this will create a real Californian rivalry (sorry Clippers). It would be great for the league if the Knicks could change owners and some kind of promising project could kickstart (at last). Similarly with the Heats who apparently have the largest wage bill in the league (absurd).

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Doncic is indeed a generational talent at least on the European level. I think that he will easily win the NBA Rookie of the Year Award. Deandre Ayton is probably his only rival.

No surprise that RM was dominating FCB domestically and in Europe. Obviously Doncic was only 1 reason why that was the case but not a little one.

As a long-time Lakers fan (18+ years - started early as a kid obsessed with the NBA and basketball - only second to football) the past 5 years have been a long, grueling desert walk with no destination. Nowadays, at least, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully Lebron will be a stepping stone for something much larger in terms of new arrivals. The Warriors (Silicon Valley) are here to stay and that is great news as this will create a real Californian rivalry (sorry Clippers). It would be great for the league if the Knicks could change owners and some kind of promising project could kickstart (at last). Similarly with the Heats who apparently have the largest wage bill in the league (absurd).

Lots of people say Clippers are likely going to end as the biggest winners in next free agency, great team right now with great coach and ton of cap space and no Lebron "toxic" media attention as Durant called it. Jerry West is there too

Luka is great, I hope Cuban won't waste him the way he did to some extent with Dirk. Dirk legacy could have been way bigger if Dallas did handle it better.
Right now it seems like same situation with only Luka as big name in town and bunch of veterans with no future lottery picks. Though plenty of time to get it sorted.
PS: I think JJJ is Luka biggest threat for ROY, if he sorts his foul trouble the race could be close, he could be the next Anthony Davis. And I thought he is next Taj gibson before the draft :lol:

Home of Barca Fans