Basketball/NBA

George_Costanza

7'6"

Tomorrow we will see Zion Williamson 6'8 vs. Tacko Fall 7'6

Tacko Fall: "It’s very hard, I mean, I won’t allow it. I won’t allow it. I won’t allow him putting me on one of his highlight tapes.”

giphy.gif

[tw]1109305366888751104[/tw]

El Gato

Villarato!
Doncic hype getting tiresome with each every performance. Got the feeling the Porzingod-LD bubble will burst whenever it kicks in.

El Gato

Villarato!
Back up after last night. I just don't like the vibes I get every time something good happens with Doncic at the centre.

George_Costanza

What an intense and crazy game!

Duke 77 UCF 76

Gotta love March Madness!

[tw]1109965697168347142[/tw]

[tw]1109972393127084033[/tw]

Last edited:

bismp

Interesting parallels between Bird/Magic and Messi/CR7.

->Messi/Bird winning their first championship(Champions League/NBA championship) almost immediately after getting into the league(2006/1981).Both of them were big pieces of their team,but not THE star.(I'm actually stretching this here against Bird's case).

->CR7/Magic winning their first* championship shortly after that(2008/1982).(*Obviously here I'm ignoring the 1980 championship :p).

->In the meantime,both Bird/Magic and Messi/CR7 weren't the consensus best players in the world yet(That would be Kareem/Moses and Ronaldinho/Kaka respectively)

->Messi/Bird become the best player in the world and make a case for the most dominant succession of seasons of all time(2009-2013/1984-1987).They win multiple and successive Ballon D'Ors/MVPs(2009-2012/1984-1986),which still stands as a record today.Their teams(Barcelona/Celtics) are regarded as one of the best of all time,as they both win 2 championships in 3 years(2009 and 2011/1984 and 1986) during that time period.

->Eventually they both lose the championship honors to CR7/Magic(2014/1987*) (*conveniently not counting the 1985 championship here)

->CR7/Magic go on to win multiple championships(2014,2016,2017,2018/1985,1987,1988),eclipsing their rivals' success.They also win multiple personal accolades(CR7 Ballon D'Ors:2013,2014,2016,2017/Magic MVPs:1987,1988,1990)

->In the meanwhile,Barcelona/Celtics fail to achieve any significant success (I'm obviously counting only the CLs in Barca's case and I'M OBVIOUSLY AND CONVENIENTLY IGNORING THE GLORIOUS 2015 CL AND THE SUBSEQUENT LEO BALLON D'OR)

->Eventually,while Bird's injuries got the better of him,Leo still stands firmly as the best player in the world year in and year out,winning another championship(2015) and hopefully more to come(2019? ;) )

However,while Magic vs Bird is pretty much debatable even to this date,every fan knows that Messi is just better than Ronaldo.Also,I'd never expect Messi and Ronaldo to become best pals like Magic and Bird :p

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
It's over. So good to see a Kobe-game in both Dallas and Miami. Beautiful, symbolic ending to this chapter of the game.

Difficult to write something momentous in such times when everything was shown so beautifully during the ceremony. I remember being a 13-year old kid living in a concrete block in eastern Poland. Basketball was maybe 3rd or 4th interest. There was this magazine called Bravo Sport with posters of various sportsmen, from Zidane, through Ronaldinho, Kaka, Federer, Roddick, Shaq, Kobe, Nash.. but one time there was an A4 poster of a lanky white bloke in a navy-blue jersey with a basketball and a weird first, and last name. I ignored it. How could a stupid Polish teen care about such a guy, when the flashbacks of white guys playing basketball you would get is of Shawn Bradley in Space Jam and his blue alien cartoon version. There was no Youtube back then. You could never count on having compilations of favourite plays, no chance to watch playoffs during the night on your desktop with parents whining at you for playing too many computer games too late into the night. But at some point I stumbled onto NBA Live 2006, it had D-Wade on the cover. I played it, downloaded a full version off some illegal site and faffed with the Dynasty Mode. Didn't know who to pick. And then I stumbled onto Mavs and the big lanky white bloke with a weird name. I had no clue he had just led his team to the first NBA finals in history. Or that the next season he would be the first European to win the league MVP. Or that he'd be the first European EVER to start an All-Star game. And one could keep going on and on, and on listing Dirk's accomplishments, describing his legacy, the influence he had on the game in Europe and the mini-revolution he caused in the post-up game with his fadeaway.

21 years. 1 team. 1 championship, so important in so many ways. I remember almost every game of these playoffs and living through it here on this board with [MENTION=1094]Metaphysical[/MENTION], Wardo, [MENTION=2574]La Furia[/MENTION].. The Blazers, hope, doubt, Brandon Roy on half-broken knees sinking the Mavs, the bounce back and happiness to kill the 1st round exit demons. The Lakers going for their three-peat, spanked on their own turf, BEAT LA, straight fire from the 3-point line by Jet & Peja, sweep, ending Phil Jackson's tenure and what proved to basically be the end of Andrew Bynum's career. Then OKC, one of the many teams in the West slated as capable of beating the Miami Beach Super Team. Oh how wrong we were. A Dirk masterclass, Collison, Perk & Ibaka made irrelevant. Game 4, Dallas leads 2-1, 3 minutes on the clock, 10 point gap? Give it to Dirk.

Journo: Specifically what makes Dirk difficult to guard?
KD: He's a 7 foot jumpshooter and he shoots one-legged fadeaways.
Journo: It's that simple?
KD: Yeah.

And then the Heat. They said Mavs are too old, that Dirk will end up alone again, everyone forgot Chandler even existed or that he'd foul out, nothing too original... Game 2, Heat 15 points ahead in Q4? Easy. 30 sec, Dirk, clutch 3. Chalmers for 3? 10 sec, Dirk, lefty lay-up, up-and-in. Thank you, goodnight. They take game 3? Easy. And so it went until the very end.

Another Totti leaves the sport. The icon. The man who surpassed the boundaries and earned the respect of all NBA legends. The man who left the mark on basketball and IMO is one of the prime influences to how the game is played today. Nearly always I watched him lead, always with a smile. He did his job. Didn't need the money, gave it to the young who would be faster, stronger.. but never better. There was Parsons, Carter, Rondo, then Barnes, finally DSJ.. and now we're here. Despite the dry 8 years and a few blimps into the playoffs I never felt lack of optimism. And Dirk succeeded. And not only in that part of Texas.

Thank you Dirty. Love you my man.

khaled_a_d

Wasn't it Dirkie?
I had a sort of similar story, was getting interest in Basketball slightly as child, knew names like MJ & Shaq etc but not much as it isn't really popular in Egypt.
Started getting into basketball more back in mid 2000's, watched some FIBA WC 2006, Euro 2007 too and started to fall in love with the game. During that time knew there was a German guy winning MVP, since I am generally fan of German sports I took notice.
In 2008 I downloaded -illegally for sure- NBA live 2008 (still has it to the day) and played with Mavs and became a fan of them, my dad passed that year and I was struggling to cope with it along many other issues. One of the new things I tried was to watch NBA and fall in love with Mavs immediately
I was blessed to watch the Championship year in my 3rd year as Mavs fan. Can't add anything to what you say on what he did in 2011
I wanted him to retire after this year, as I wanted the team to start fresh with the young guys, I also was afraid that he might end like Puyol with chronic injury if he keep pushing himself. Put now he is gone I understand why every other Mavs fan wanted one more year. A part of me is empty after the announcement, feel it is strange to watch Mavs without him, to not watch him in court etc. Can't imagine what it is for those watched him for 21 years or grew watching him.

Leo_Messi

It's over. So good to see a Kobe-game in both Dallas and Miami. Beautiful, symbolic ending to this chapter of the game.

Difficult to write something momentous in such times when everything was shown so beautifully during the ceremony. I remember being a 13-year old kid living in a concrete block in eastern Poland. Basketball was maybe 3rd or 4th interest. There was this magazine called Bravo Sport with posters of various sportsmen, from Zidane, through Ronaldinho, Kaka, Federer, Roddick, Shaq, Kobe, Nash.. but one time there was an A4 poster of a lanky white bloke in a navy-blue jersey with a basketball and a weird first, and last name. I ignored it. How could a stupid Polish teen care about such a guy, when the flashbacks of white guys playing basketball you would get is of Shawn Bradley in Space Jam and his blue alien cartoon version. There was no Youtube back then. You could never count on having compilations of favourite plays, no chance to watch playoffs during the night on your desktop with parents whining at you for playing too many computer games too late into the night. But at some point I stumbled onto NBA Live 2006, it had D-Wade on the cover. I played it, downloaded a full version off some illegal site and faffed with the Dynasty Mode. Didn't know who to pick. And then I stumbled onto Mavs and the big lanky white bloke with a weird name. I had no clue he had just led his team to the first NBA finals in history. Or that the next season he would be the first European to win the league MVP. Or that he'd be the first European EVER to start an All-Star game. And one could keep going on and on, and on listing Dirk's accomplishments, describing his legacy, the influence he had on the game in Europe and the mini-revolution he caused in the post-up game with his fadeaway.

21 years. 1 team. 1 championship, so important in so many ways. I remember almost every game of these playoffs and living through it here on this board with [MENTION=1094]Metaphysical[/MENTION], Wardo, [MENTION=2574]La Furia[/MENTION].. The Blazers, hope, doubt, Brandon Roy on half-broken knees sinking the Mavs, the bounce back and happiness to kill the 1st round exit demons. The Lakers going for their three-peat, spanked on their own turf, BEAT LA, straight fire from the 3-point line by Jet & Peja, sweep, ending Phil Jackson's tenure and what proved to basically be the end of Andrew Bynum's career. Then OKC, one of the many teams in the West slated as capable of beating the Miami Beach Super Team. Oh how wrong we were. A Dirk masterclass, Collison, Perk & Ibaka made irrelevant. Game 4, Dallas leads 2-1, 3 minutes on the clock, 10 point gap? Give it to Dirk.

Journo: Specifically what makes Dirk difficult to guard?
KD: He's a 7 foot jumpshooter and he shoots one-legged fadeaways.
Journo: It's that simple?
KD: Yeah.

And then the Heat. They said Mavs are too old, that Dirk will end up alone again, everyone forgot Chandler even existed or that he'd foul out, nothing too original... Game 2, Heat 15 points ahead in Q4? Easy. 30 sec, Dirk, clutch 3. Chalmers for 3? 10 sec, Dirk, lefty lay-up, up-and-in. Thank you, goodnight. They take game 3? Easy. And so it went until the very end.

Another Totti leaves the sport. The icon. The man who surpassed the boundaries and earned the respect of all NBA legends. The man who left the mark on basketball and IMO is one of the prime influences to how the game is played today. Nearly always I watched him lead, always with a smile. He did his job. Didn't need the money, gave it to the young who would be faster, stronger.. but never better. There was Parsons, Carter, Rondo, then Barnes, finally DSJ.. and now we're here. Despite the dry 8 years and a few blimps into the playoffs I never felt lack of optimism. And Dirk succeeded. And not only in that part of Texas.

Good post.

Hard to dislike Dirk and I remember cheering for that Dallas Mavericks team back in 2011. As pretty much everyone not a Heat fan.

In other news, Magic called it a day not too long ago. Not cut for the role as team president. Did a poor job overall. With Luke Walton poised to leave as well, the Lakers are now a team with no identity and seemingly no direction. Just a mess overall and I could very well see us miss the playoffs next year as well. A lot of work to do to put it mildly for the team to have any chances of reaching the playoffs next season let alone genuinely competing for the ring. The latter is probably years away. Sad state of affairs for the arguable most storied franchise. Jeanie Buss lost the plot if she ever had one to begin with.

EDIT: What a comeback by the Clippers against the Warriors of all teams at the Oracle Arena. Largest comeback in playoff history in terms of points down if I am not wrong. They were 31 points behind at one point in the third quarter!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans