NFL

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
As for the Love pick. I get it but Rodgers has 4 years left on his contract with the next 3 massive dead cap space hits for being cut/traded. The Packers may have been one of the worst 13-3 teams in a while but I thought they would try to go all in with Rodgers on his last legs. They need to take a WR in the second round. Thankfully this year there is ton of depth at that position.

Lastly how about Lynch as a fucking GM. They trade Buckner for a first round pick and ultimately get his replacement using that pick they got in return while also picking up an extra 4th to move down one spot trading with Tampa. They then use that 4th they just traded for to move up to draft Aiyuk. Really like what he is doing for the 49ers.

Rodgers has no guaranteed money after this year so he's tradeable next year and definitely in 2022. They will carry a big dead cap number, but actually save money on the cap:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/can-t...hen-520?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think that's the most likely scenario. I just hope they don't waste more picks now and manage to hit on some good players the rest of the draft. Sucks though.

Lynch is a good GM, but he's definitely benefitted from San Fransisco being ass for 5+ years and racking up multiple high 1st round picks and therefore so much talent in their team.

Credit to him for hitting on his picks though unlike the likes of Cleveland and others.

Messi983

The Seahawks pick did surprise me. I honestly thought the Packers trade up was going to be Patrick Queen. The Seahawks skip Queen and take a different linebacker. And then Queen goes to the Ravens. This has shades of the Packers trading down a couple years ago to not take TJ Watt for Kevin King. :banghead:

Well, at least Keving King while injury prone is still a solid player. You could do much worse. You don't believe? Look what we did in 2017. :lol:

Seattle has traded down twice to select Malik McDowell who has never played for us and most likely never will play in the NFL.

Malik Devon McDowell (born June 20, 1996) is a former American football defensive tackle. After playing college football for Michigan State, he was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He sustained injuries from an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) accident shortly after being drafted and never played in a game for the Seahawks. He was sentenced to 11 months in prison for a series of crimes in Michigan in November 2019.[1]

I'm used of us wasting our highest picks but he was by far the biggest bust under John Schneider/Pete Carroll regime. I'd love if we'd choose Keving King or Budda Baker (they're both from my favourite college team so I'm biased here) instead.

Besides them and TJ Watt current Saints OT Ryan Ramczyk would be great as well. Or Tre'Davious White if we wouldn't trade down from 26 at all. But of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Thankfully we got Shaq Griffin in the 3rd round and also hit on Chris Carson (and David Moore) in the 7th for that draft not being a total failure. Oh, and we also drafted a safety named Mike Tyson that year. :lol: IIRC he was also on the Packers roster a year or two ago but don't know if he has actually played.

DonAK

Kevin King is good when he's healthy. The problem is that he rarely is. I would be shocked if he's re-signed.

DonAK

At this rate they would be better off trading Rodgers in 2021 before he asks for a trade because drafting a RB in the 2nd round is ridiculous. Still had someone like Bryan Edwards on the board.

Messi983

Pretty pleased with both picks the Seahawks made on day 2. We've addressed both lines as I've wanted. Darrell Taylor is still raw but has all the tools to develop into a good edge rusher and Damien Lewis should help to stabilise the OL longterm.

Sadly we've traded away 101st overall pick to move up 11 spots in the 2nd round to get Taylor (don't know if he'd stay until our original pick but if he was "their" guy I'm ok with taking him; it usually worked great for us when we were aggressive in the 2nd round over the last few years - we've drafted Tyler Lockett, Jarran Reed and last year D.K. Metcalf after moving up in the 2nd) which we could've used on a WR or RB but there are still good players I like on the board.

We'll have to wait for 27 picks to get on the clock so hopefully some of them will stay but then we have three picks between 133 and 148. WR/RB, DT, CB/S could all be addressed here. I wouldn't even exclude a possible trade up.

At this rate they would be better off trading Rodgers in 2021 before he asks for a trade because drafting a RB in the 2nd round is ridiculous. Still had someone like Bryan Edwards on the board.

I'm pretty sure the Packers have targeted Denzel Mims at 61 but he was gone two picks before them.

The @PFF draft board ranks of the Packers draft picks:

Jordan Love: 76th
A.J. Dillon: NR
Josiah Deguara: 191st

https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/1253890221839712256

Now I don't always trust PFF and other media "experts" rankings. Their boards can be very different from the ones most teams have even in "normal" years. But this year it's even more different because the teams couldn't met most players in person. Scouts/other team personell from different teams usually talk on college pro-days and can get a pretty good feeling how other teams grade the players they're interested in.

Not so much now. There are always obvious smoke-screens and there could be a round or even two of difference between how different teams grade some players. But this year those differences were apparently even bigger. There was a tweet two weeks or so ago (don't remember from who exactly) that those big boards from media people which are used for mock drafts will be very different from the actual teams's draft boards and those media guys could have a late round grade on the players who many teams actually grade much higher.

DonAK

That's no excuse to draft a Fullback/Halfback in R3 @Messi983

Both Gutekunst and LaFleur have lost a lot of goodwill with the fans and no one will accept the "offense still in learning phase" excuse if it sucks next season.

MLF better get to work and the Packers offense better be top 10 in the NFL next season because they've punted on a historic WR draft class to build a power running offense that they like and want.

Decisions like these can make your career or ruin it, and if the Green Bay offense suck next season I'm not sure I'd be willing to hand over the keys of the franchise's future to LaFleur.

Last edited:

Messi983

That's no excuse to draft a Fullback/Halfback in R3 @Messi983

Both Gutekunst and LaFleur have lost a lot of goodwill with the fans and no one will accept the "offense still in learning phase" excuse if it sucks next season.

MLF better get to work and the Packers offense better be top 10 in the NFL next season because they've punted on a historic WR draft class to build a power running offense that they like and want.

Decisions like these can make your career or ruin it, and if the Green Bay offense suck next season I'm not sure I'd be willing to hand over the keys of the franchise's future to LaFleur.

I don't know this Deguara guy but he had 7 receiving TDs last season and scouting report says he has good hands so he could also help in the passing game. But yeah, he was probably drafted primarily as a run blocker. Was he a reach? Most likely. But can Deguara still turn out a good player in the role they have for him? Yes. Teams know a lot more about the players they've drafted than media experts and fans so I'll give them a benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Draft is a lottery with a lot of hit and misses where you can just as easily draft a bust with a top 10 pick than you can find a longterm quality starter in the 3rd round or later. That's why I think grading draft classes immediately after a draft is over is stupid. We should wait at least a season or two to see how the players will do in the NFL. I'll never forget how most mediots have graded the Seahawks 2012 draft as by far the worst of all teams. That's a draft in which we got a franchise QB (RW3), one of the best MLBs of the last decade (Bobby Wagner), a pretty good pass rusher (Bruce Irvin) and other players like Jeremy Lane and J.R. Sweezy who were starters for a few years.

So maybe this draft will turn out well for Green Bay as well. Most of this will depend be on how Jordan Love will develop. If he'll become a worthy successor of AR in a few years then people will give them a positive grade regardless of what other players will do. Any draft where you find a franchise QB is a success.

That said, as an outsider I still think that as a team with arguably the best QB in the game who should be in a win now mode the Packers didn't do enough to actually help Rodgers. Not taking a single WR in this class is very surprising to say the least. On the other hand they at least addressed the OL with three late round picks.

Messi983

The Seahawks pick did surprise me. I honestly thought the Packers trade up was going to be Patrick Queen. The Seahawks skip Queen and take a different linebacker. And then Queen goes to the Ravens.

I was surprised at first as well but the more I read about Brooks the more I like this pick. There were also rumours that Baltimore had a higher grade on him than on Queen and would choose Brooks if both would be available. We'll probably never know if that's true but will be interesting to compare how their careers will go in a few years.

Also, overall I'm pretty pleased with the Hawks draft. Alongside Jordyn Brooks we've selected two edge pass rushers (Darrell Taylor and Alton Robinson) which was a clear need. Hopefully we'll still sign Clowney in free agency though it doesn't seem likely. We also added a RB (DeeJay Dallas) and a WR (Freddie Swain) who is also a good returner. I'm a bit surprised we took two TEs (Colby Parkinson and Stephen Sullivan) but given injury concerns about Will Dissly this is understandable. We've also signed Greg Olsen in free agency but he'll only be a short-term solution.

My favourite pick is probably former LSU guard Damien Lewis. I think he'll become an immediate starter. We've already released DJ Fluker who was our starting RG last season alongside a center Justin Britt. Those moves created about 12m cap space.

We didn't draft a safety or a CB (though we've traded a 5th round pick for Quinton Dunbar before the draft so I'll consider him as a part of this draft) nor a DT I've expected (Arizona took Rashard Lawrence two picks before us, I'm curious if we'd take him if still there). We have some younger players on the DL (including last year's 1st rd. pick D.J. Collier) who the team is high on though so they should get a chance this season. And there are still some solid veterans on the market.

It seems we were really focused on the players with personality who have overcome a lot of adversity in their lifes. As GM John Schneider said he thinks this will help them to adapt faster to the NFL in these uncertain times with a shortened off-season.

Also, I know I've said I don't give much importance to immediate draft grades but here they are. We have 3rd worst GPA so I expect this draft will turn out good for us. :p

383b66e0a93c7889323c870b7d2153a4.jpg

Messi983

Don Shula, the NFL's winningest coach who led the Miami Dolphins to the league's only undefeated season, died on Monday. He was 90.

RIP

Messi983

Former NFL MVP Cam Newton has reached agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal with the New England Patriots,

I was expecting this to happen since they didn't draft a QB.

Sailor Mars

Chiefs are going to rule the AFC for the next decade. 2 seasons under Mahomes and they won a Superbowl last season, and would've made it to the SB the year before if not for a dumb penalty against the Patriots.

Messi983

EcSCS2xX0AELbMN

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751

Contract breakdown doesn't look that bad imo. 141,5m total guaranteed money with no dead money after 2025. With cap going up for 10m every year by 2025 AAV for top QBs will surely be over 40m and they can cut him or restructure his contract in 2027 when his cap hit will be 60m.

But obviously if he gets seriously injured this season and never recovers his level they are f**** up for the next 5 years. But I guess that's a risk every team with an elite QB has to live with at some point.

Home of Barca Fans