NFL

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, Lynn absolutely deserves to be in the conversation as well.

He's unlikely to win the award and I'm biased but I believe Pete Carroll deserves at least some votes for COTY too. Nobody expected us to do so well in a rebuilding year but he did everything right by changing both coordinators (and especially OL coach) in the offseason, get rid off some of the older (former) stars like Sherman and Bennett on the defense (I think his only mistake was not trading Earl Thomas to Dallas before the last years draft) that were not buying into his system anymore and becoming a distraction for the team and then change focus back to the running game after we started the season 0-2.

Oh, definitely. I remember everyone putting Seattle as a 3-4 win team with comparisons about how they were the worst team in their division and Pete Carroll's demise at USC, but they're proving everyone wrong. Even some of the games they've lost been very close which could have gone their way with some luck.

Watching OU vs Alabama now. Hopefully it'll be a great game. Rooting for OU since them winning a National Championship might pave way for Lincoln Riley to leave for Green Bay :pep:

Unlikely I know, even if they win, but you can hope.

Last edited:

Messi983

Tell him we're taking Lincoln Riley.

Thanks.

Looks like Riley is staying at OU.

[tw]1080222152786411520[/tw]

Probably a smart decision. There are 8 HC jobs available but besides Green Bay and Cleveland (it's strange to write that but Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb, Jarvis Landry and pretty talented defense will make them very attractive) I don't see other teams (ARI, CIN, MIA, DEN, NYJ, TB) as such desirable destinations for a young up and coming coach so it's probably better for Riley to wait for another year or two. He's only 35 and will have more than enough time to come to the NFL. It's likely both the Packers and the Browns are looking at more experienced/proven in the NFL coaches and didn't show much/enough interest in Riley and that's why he decided to stay.

DonAK

Looks like Riley is staying at OU.

[tw]1080222152786411520[/tw]

Probably a smart decision. There are 8 HC jobs available but besides Green Bay and Cleveland (it's strange to write that but Baker Mayfield, Nick Chubb, Jarvis Landry and pretty talented defense will make them very attractive) I don't see other teams (ARI, CIN, MIA, DEN, NYJ, TB) as such desirable destinations for a young up and coming coach so it's probably better for Riley to wait for another year or two. He's only 35 and will have more than enough time to come to the NFL. It's likely both the Packers and the Browns are looking at more experienced/proven in the NFL coaches and didn't show much/enough interest in Riley and that's why he decided to stay.

I agree, but not only that.

Look at how coaches are getting fired in the NFL. Why would he leave OU when he's still very young and has a good thing going there. Dude can recruit 4 and 5 star players and is a rising force. Less pressure, similar amount of money.

I think he'll go to the NFL eventually, but he'll prob stay there for a good few years and he should.

As for the Packers then every sign is pointing towards Josh McDaniels even though we're interviewing 7 or 8 other guys as well. All the beat writers believe McDaniels is the clear favorite and he's declined other interviews so far so it seems like he'll only leave New England for Green Bay.

LaFleur is probably the outside candidate in case McDaniels bombs his interview.

I'm not sure what to think about it given how much he proved to be a snake last year and his last HC gig was a tragedy, but that was a decade ago and he's undoubtedly one of the finest offensive minds in the NFL right now.

DonAK

So, what's our thoughts on Dallas vs. Seahawks?

Whoever is able to run the ball more effectively will win. Two stud defenses. Wilson obviously the better, much better QB, but home field advantage for Dallas.

I hope Seattle take it. Not a fan of them, but I dislike the Cowboys and like to see their fanboys squeal when they lose, in particular Skip Bayless.

DonAK

Seriously, if I was a Seattle fan I would be shouting for Schottenheimer to get fired. That was PATHETIC. He let Dallas win with his pathetic RUN-RUN-PASS playcalling. You have Russell Wilson FFS. Give him the ball and throw it deep. Dallas' strength is how good they are against the run while they're a poor pass defense, yet this idiot kept running the ball.

xXKonan

Those last 56 Seconds of the Eagles-Bears game were something else.

Hell the last four minutes were something.

Messi983

Seriously, if I was a Seattle fan I would be shouting for Schottenheimer to get fired. That was PATHETIC. He let Dallas win with his pathetic RUN-RUN-PASS playcalling. You have Russell Wilson FFS. Give him the ball and throw it deep. Dallas' strength is how good they are against the run while they're a poor pass defense, yet this idiot kept running the ball.

I think this has much more to do with Carroll than Schottenheimer. He's the one who wants to stick with the running game at all costs. This approach worked over the most of the last 14 games of the regular season, it didn't this time. It hurts to lose against a team that's on my top 5 most hated (mainly because of the mediots like Skipp Bayles) list but while always trying to be optimistic I've never believed we had a team (specifically OL and the defense) to make a deep playoff run this year so I have overcome this loss quickly. And I would rather lose the way we lost 1000 times over that heartbreaking loss from the Bears last night.

I think game plan was too conservative from the start of the game and PC trusted his defense too much instead of believing in Wilson more. Anyway, we were still in a position to win the game and I think we would win if not for some individual mistakes from the defense and costly penalties in the last quarter. We also have to give a credit to the Cowboys defense. Kris Richard knows us well as our former DC and this played a big part in their success IMO.

I'm still happy with our season in general as I was expecting 5-7 wins at most in a rebuilding year and think Shotty did a good job overall so he should (and will) stay. We still have some pretty big holes (or at least question marks) on the roster which we should address in the offseason.

We only have 4 draft picks (though I expect us to trade back so we'll likely end with 6) so we'll probably need to spend something in free agency. We have around 60M of cap space but we need to extend Frank Clark and have to make a decision about K.J. Wright. He had injury problems this season but is still a good player when healthy but is he still worth $8M+/year (and he could probably get even more in free agency)? I don't think so but we'll see how Carroll and GM John Schneider will decide.

While I like some of our younger defensive linemen this is a great DL class so we need to use that to further improve the DL. I would also like to draft a longterm Earl Thomas replacement - though players like him (when in his prime) are almost impossible to find - because having that type of safety is crucial to Carroll's defense.

On the offense our main goal again should be continue to improve the OL. They were a much improved unit from the last year but still not good enough especially in pass protection and both guards (J.R. Sweezy and D.J. Fluker) are free agents. They both had injury problems but I'd like to bring them both back on a team-friendly contracts. And I think we should draft a bigger WR to pair with Baldwin and Lockett. David Moore as our tallest WR has shown some progress this year but he was a 7th rounder for a reason.

And last but not least, find a young reliable kicker. Their importance is growing from year to year.

DonAK

I really think you guys had a great shot [MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION] if you weren't as conservative all night. If you're going to end up paying Wilson 30m+ in a couple of years you just gotta trust him in those situations in the future. I'll rather go down with my best player slinging it and failing than doing the same predictable stuff all night until it got to desperation time and you have to give your QB the ball.

I think he would have won it for you guys if you had switched it up a bit before and started attacking Dallas' safeties with Baldwin and Lockett. I can understand not risking it with your O-Line play, but it got too predictable in the end. Perhaps tried more read-options or passed it on 1st down instead of the same Run-Run-Pass offense it became.

What does everyone think of the Patriots' chances to win it all? Pretty low?

How would the remaining 8 teams be ranked in terms of Super Bowl favorites? From 1-8 (1 being Super Bowl Favorites).

Colts at Chiefs

Chargers at Patriots

Cowboys at Rams

Eagles at Saints

What will be the Super Bowl Matchup?

Home of Barca Fans