NFL

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
They are much more comparable to RM than Barca. Patriots play "counter-attacking" American Football. They largely adapt their game to play against the weaknesses of their opponents. They're not like the Packers who will just play their own style no matter the opponent.

Politically they align with the rich and the republicans in the US. They're not the team for the middle class or poor American.

I honestly think it's a huge disrespect to Barca to be compared to Patriots. We don't get favorable calls from refs or have multiple cheating allegations.

Well, I had a lot of opposing and neutral fans throwing "Uefalona" at me and us before, whether it was perceived or real. And I don't think adjusting and adapting one's game based on what opposing team you play against is necessarily bad (plus I don't really see Real Madrid doing that anyways, they just cross, cross and cross :p), it is smart and we should be doing that too.

On political alignment, isn't it true that the majority of the white working class align themselves with the GOP and Trump?

On political alignment, isn't it true that the majority of the white working class align themselves with the GOP and Trump?

Its kind of a new thing. Obviously the white working class always favoured republicans compared to PoCs, but the republicans certainly weren't the "working class party" in general, at least before this election.

KingLeo10

more so than anything, last night was another showcase for why winning mentality/willpower is the single greatest weapon in championship games, it is why atletico can't beat real in finals and why real, despite playing like utter garbage at times, have managed to win 2 CL in last 3 years. :(

F

FlaFCB

more so than anything, last night was another showcase for why winning mentality/willpower is the single greatest weapon in championship games, it is why atletico can't beat real in finals and why real, despite playing like utter garbage at times, have managed to win 2 CL in last 3 years. :(

[tw]828404246626369538[/tw]

Yannik

By the way: Anyone else heavily disappointed in the "Trump message" by Lady Gaga? All the hype around this and she barely made anything in that direction, looks like it was just promo.

Messi983

something that is bothering me: Why the fuck would you decide the first drive of OT by a fucking coin toss? That's like a matchball decided by randomness.

I'd like to see the same OT rules they have in college football.

Question17

Politically they align with the rich and the republicans in the US. They're not the team for the middle class or poor American.

I see them as politically the opposite of what you said. If you really want to stretch them having a "political identity", which I don't think American Major league sports teams have . They are in one of the most liberal states in America and their local fan base is compromised of registered democrats, often of non immigrant parent background, upper middle class, and lapsed/former Catholics religiously. When people talk about east coast liberal elites, the home base of both the patriots and Harvard falls into that. Democrats are not the party of the poor and middle class btw. A large part of the working class votes Republican, middle class is very split, and a lot of the super rich vote Dem.

If you are talking about Brady's and Belichik's views as proof of their republican ideology , that's a terrible way of judging teams . Even in soccer, there are plenty of players/managers/owners with differing views from their clubs rep. Breitner was a communist who played for Real Madrid, Abbiati is a fascist and he plays for the left wing Milan, De Rossi has right wing views and is a talisman for historically left wing Roma not Lazio, Zannetti talisman for right wing inter is a supporter of a Marxist rebel group in Mexico, rangers had a catholic captain once.....

Not that I think political affiliation with sports even really exists outside of soccer. It exists in soccer because of the uniquely well developed ultras culture that this sport has. If you don't have ultras it really doesn't make sense to say a sports team has an ideology. I'd say its getting less ideological now.Spain a previously very political soccer culture has recently launched an inquisition against ultras and most teams stadiums including Barca Real, and Bliboa are apolitical now and look like an average American sports stadiums.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
:goodpost:

Last semblence of any half-serious activism related to Barca was a decade ago and even then only sporadic show by Boixos.

Politics are bad for sports.

Mitchell1978

By the way: Anyone else heavily disappointed in the "Trump message" by Lady Gaga? All the hype around this and she barely made anything in that direction, looks like it was just promo.

Smartest thing she could have done, why create controversy ad alienate fans.

Anyhow, epic comeback.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The Patriots win just shows you how important having a winning mentality is. Bad play calling or not, the Patriots never gave up and still thought they could win, that they would win.

Which is why Atletico lost those finals. Especially the last one.

And why Barca are still in the contention for the league title if they can display as strong of a winning mentality everyone knows this team possess.

Edit: Looks like KingLeo10 pointed this out before me

Home of Barca Fans