Sevilla

Messi983

Monchi is brilliant.

Really interested in seeing how he'll build Roma.

I'm not following Roma too closely but I've read an article a few days ago that Roma fans are not too pleased with his first transfer window. It's still early though and they've brought a lot of new players who still need time to adapt.

Windhook

:(

Just heard it on the radio. What's even more shocking is that apparently he told the bad news to his players at half time against Liverpool last night. I have to rewatch Sevilla goal celebrations, especially the equaliser.

Devils

Terrible news, man is only 48 as well.

Prostate cancer is not an easy one. Really hope they caught it before it metastasized.

Antimilan

The prognosis of this particular disease is good once caught early, so hopefully Berizzo recovers 100% as soon as possible. The heroic draw in the second half was dedicated to him.

Messi983

The prognosis of this particular disease is good once caught early, so hopefully Berizzo recovers 100% as soon as possible. The heroic draw in the second half was dedicated to him.

I know it's not the right time to discuss this but how do Sevilla fans rate his job as a coach so far? And how about the new signings, are you happy with them?

Antimilan

I know it's not the right time to discuss this but how do Sevilla fans rate his job as a coach so far? And how about the new signings, are you happy with them?

Not a bad time at all for discussion. This was also a point raised in the Sevilla forum MonchisMen (forum.monchismen.com), where some folks felt sorry for saying bad things especially at HT when down 0-3 vs. Liverpool. However, what we are discussing and concerned about is the professional side of Berizzo, not the character traits or the personal side, because when it comes to that, he is one of the nicest coaches we had. No arrogance, trying to work hard, trying to learn from mistakes and change things for the good etc.

So now back to the matter. I was among the ones that called for his head after the two shocking defeats in a week vs. Spartak (5-1) and Valencia (4-0). Except N'Zonzi and the experienced CB's Pareja and Carrico, we had pretty much all of the squad available. We also had two very good CB's in disposal, like Kjaer and Lenglet, who are also undisputed starters and will also be when Pareja and Carrico come back. Therefore, the injury excuses were not valid at that point.

What is missing is a clear strategy from Berizzo. The players either do not fully understand his tactics, or his tactics simply do not work well with this team. Berizzo is not a high caliber coach and he is used to managing Celta and approaching matches form the underdog perspective. He still hasn't fixed the defensive issues, hence we are 11:11 with goals in CL for instance. We had a stint of clean sheets, but that was more due to very weak opponents in the beginning of the season in La Liga, and it was just pure luck that we went through vs. Basaksehir (Emre almost eliminated us by hitting the post in the 93rd minute of the second leg), and we all know how the first Liverpool match went, totally dominated and could've been 5-1 down the first half.

So when luck started to run out, our flaws were exposed and the opponents took easy advantage of them. We are now in constant need to perform 100% to get a decent result, can't relax a lot, and this is never good. We don't have that winning mentality of say Atletico, where they can have 30% of possession and 1-2 shots on goal and still win the match, although it's true that they run a lot but they don't do much with the ball. On the other hand, we need to do A LOT with the ball and try A LOT even vs. weaker teams to actually do something and get a positive result. Also while we have a good defensive side on paper (Lenglet was also linked to Barca lately), the defense still is shambles at times and it's always risky when the opponents approach our box and shoot at the goal, which brings another important point, the lack of a proper goalkeeper. Rico and Soria are not up to the level that is needed to perform in CL, and are doing bad in La Liga also.

So in overall, not a decent job done by Berizzo, however, we are attacking quite well at times with the 4-2-3-1 that sometimes transits into 4-3-3, but the defensive errors are killing us and always costly.

The new signings were not very spot on, like with Monchi for example. Muriel didn't turn out how it was expected, for around 25 million euros, we could've signed a much much better striker. Also, we've got Navas and Nolito, who are not doing too bad, but still not offering much. I'm especially disappointed in Nolito, who is just a shadow of his former self, not even close to his Celta days. Banega is playing like he never left, perhaps the best signing. Then we have the loan of Carole, who will probably be sent back to Galatasaray as now we have signed Arana of Corinthians (same position) as back-up for Escudero for around 11 million euros, and he will come in January. Corchia the replacement of Coke is not doing bad, but a bit injury prone and problems with knee. Kjaer a rock-solid CB but a bit slow at times and not good with the ball. Beside Banega, I'd say the best signing in parallel is Pizarro. He is not the technical DM like N'Zonzi, but runs a lot, tackles a lot, fights for the ball, is good in the air and works hard for the team when playing. Pairing up quite well with N'Zonzi in the midfield, but sometimes like vs. Liverpool, N'Zonzi is a surpluss as we don't often need 2 DM's, killing the creativity of the game, rather Pizarro as DM and Vazquez as AM and Banega as CM, worked vs. Liverpool to draw the match.

Hope I didn't forget anything and this is the analysis of Sevilla so far this season. I hope that we get at least to the quarters of the CL, somehow, not sure how, and at least 4th on La Liga, which will be very very hard, almost impossible now that Valencia is in the picture and we have the veterans like Atletico and RM also competing for top 4.

Berizzo's work as a consensus in the Sevilla forum is: 4/10. Too much work to be done to make things better in the second half of the season. We'll stick with Berizzo now, especially after his case with the disease, we can't betray him with sacking, however, if things don't work till the end of the season then it would be best that he leaves, more for him than for us.

Windhook

Berizzo should resign and concentrate on his treatment. Sevilla FC and football do not matter at all. Life is the most important thing.

Antimilan

Berizzo should resign and concentrate on his treatment. Sevilla FC and football do not matter at all. Life is the most important thing.

Fortunately, this particular case does not require intensive and prolonged treatment. Report has shown that it was caught early and a surgery might be needed, but he will be able to come back to work and live a normal healthy life in 3-4 weeks.

Messi983

[MENTION=2766]Antimilan[/MENTION]: :goodpost:

Is Arana a done deal? I've read a few days ago that Corinthians wants more money for him.

I agree that Muriel has been underwhelming so far but he's still adapting and would probably do better if he'd play constantly. Maybe Berizzo should find a way to get Muriel and Ben Yedder on the pitch at the same time. Play Muriel as winger or try 4-4-2 in some games? Nolito-N'Zonzi-Banega-Navas; Muriel-WBY could work against lesser La Liga teams, especially at Pizjuan when those teams are usually parking the bus. Muriel was too expensive to be only a rotational player and WBY is in too good form to sit on the bench. I don't think constantly rotating both does anyone of them good. What do you think about this?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Is Arana a done deal? I've read a few days ago that Corinthians wants more money for him.

I agree that Muriel has been underwhelming so far but he's still adapting and would probably do better if he'd play constantly. Maybe Berizzo should find a way to get Muriel and Ben Yedder on the pitch at the same time. Play Muriel as winger or try 4-4-2 in some games? Nolito-N'Zonzi-Banega-Navas; Muriel-WBY could work against lesser La Liga teams, especially at Pizjuan when those teams are usually parking the bus. Muriel was too expensive to be only a rotational player and WBY is in too good form to sit on the bench. I don't think constantly rotating both does anyone of them good. What do you think about this?
Surprised you included both Nolito and Navas who have been underwhelming. Correa is probably in Sevilla's top 3 performers this season, can't bench him.

Antimilan

Not sure on the Arana deal. It was rumored that everything was finished for 11 million Euros and he'll be joining Sevilla in January, but anything can happen since nothing has been signed and nothing is official as of yet.

As for Muriel and WBY, we had a lot of discussions there in our forum and the overall consensus is that both are average strikers. Muriel can also play on the wing, like today vs. Villarreal he appeared in the wings a lot of times, but then we don't have a third striker who could compete with the two. Then of course the constant rotation might also do more harm than good, but the biggest mistake I think, was that we didn't rather go for Bacca. He is by far better than both WBY and Muriel combined, and we could've loaned him with a signing option, but the management decided for Muriel instead.

I mean, they both score goals now and then, but none of them are what Sevilla really needs, a cold-blooded killer that doesn't waste countless chances and that tries to create something out of nothing in the box, rather then rely heavy on assists and other players around him. Even Ben Arfa would've been a better option but we missed on him too.

Messi983

Yeah, Bacca would be a good option if you could get him under same conditions than Villarreal. Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC Milan asked for around 30M (the same they paid for him two years ago) when Sevilla was interested at the start of the transfer window so that's why you bought 5 years younger Muriel instead with a hope he could become a new Bacca. Later when Milan already bought all new players they just wanted to get rid off Bacca so they've accepted Villarreal offer but I think Sevilla didn't want to wait until mid-August because of CL qualifications.

Surprised you included both Nolito and Navas who have been underwhelming. Correa is probably in Sevilla's top 3 performers this season, can't bench him.

My point was more about the formation (4-4-2) than players used, of course they could also play Correa as a wide midfielder instead of Navas/Nolito.

Antimilan

Yeah, Bacca would be a good option if you could get him under same conditions than Villarreal. Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC Milan asked for around 30M (the same they paid for him two years ago) when Sevilla was interested at the start of the transfer window so that's why you bought 5 years younger Muriel instead with a hope he could become a new Bacca. Later when Milan already bought all new players they just wanted to get rid off Bacca so they've accepted Villarreal offer but I think Sevilla didn't want to wait until mid-August because of CL qualifications.

My point was more about the formation (4-4-2) than players used, of course they could also play Correa as a wide midfielder instead of Navas/Nolito.

You're right. In essence, at the beginning it was either Bacca or someone else, so Muriel came after Milan's unreasonable asking price. However, then things changed and it's still a pity that we didn't get Bacca on loan with a buying option, we could've done that after Milan wanted to get rid of him. However, the management decided there is no good of having 3 strikers, which would mean one of them will get very few if not no minutes at all, hence we were left with 2. Lately both WBY and Muriel have started to score a bit, but still not enough, and the club is already looking for a third striker in January, preferably someone that can play as a winger as well when needed just in case.

As for the wingers, everyone had some stints of good performances, but none of the current wingers (Nolito, Navas, Correa, Sarabia) are constantly playing well. Maybe I'd give Sarabia a go out of the 4, but we need someone to perform well at least 4-5 matches in a row.

An update about Arana, he has signed apparently, but now it is all up to the President of Corinthians, as his signature is still pending. It is something about the percentage of the ownership, but 99.99% the deal is done and Arana will be a Sevilla player in January, signing for 4 seasons.

We might incorporate a CF and a CB/RB as well, while getting rid of Montoya (almost guaranteed) and Ganso (high probability), even though Ganso played very well this season when given the chance, especially vs. mid-table and below teams.

Home of Barca Fans