Atletico de Madrid

Havesaks

It has been a nice run tho. For me it came out of nowhere. Simeone was the architect and did amazing work for many years, and was also a decicive factor keeping players inhouse. Question is if ATM should have went another way two years ago or so. Two lost chl finales ruined it for them. Would they have won one, or even this year, things might have been different.

Why would ATM sell Griezman for 80m?

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Just rumours.
Apart from these their defensive core will be gone soon. Godin, Juanfran and Filipe Luis will go or retire for good. But Simeone also managed to replace leaders like Tiago, Gabi or Fernando Torres and they still managed to stay competitive. I am sure they would have helped in the second leg against Juve though.

Anyway, as long as Cholo is there he will manage to avoid a huge downfall. Maybe the gap between them and Barca/Real will get a bit bigger and their annual role as a dark horse in the CL will be gone but they will stay a dangerous team that can challenge for Copa and EL.

Alik

He's Griezmann's best friend.

Now that he's gone, it is even more reason for Griezmann to be open to a move away.

Vilarrubi

With Felipe Luis likely going too the GOAT defence of Felipe Luis/Godin/Miranda/Juanfran has come to an end. What a defence it was.

Catta

Atleti will have big problems with replacing Godin, Filipe, Juanfran and Lucas all in the same summer. Only good defender left is Gimenez. Both Savic and Arias are average players.

Cule4life

The Culest
Atleti will have big problems with replacing Godin, Filipe, Juanfran and Lucas all in the same summer. Only good defender left is Gimenez. Both Savic and Arias are average players.

True but they won't win any big prizes/become a big club anyway as long as Simeone and his bus parking football is there.

BarcaOG

Banned
Can someone explain why he cried so much? If Atleti really means that much to him then why is he leaving for Inter? It's one thing to cry when you retire at a club, or are forced out (Casillas), or leave the team because it is time to (Xavi and Iniesta) but if you made the choice to go elsewhere when you are still a very good player, which Godin is, then why all the tears? Godin could play at Atleti for another 2 years or so. He's a beast.

I don't understand the water works.

Vilarrubi

Can someone explain why he cried so much? If Atleti really means that much to him then why is he leaving for Inter? It's one thing to cry when you retire at a club, or are forced out (Casillas), or leave the team because it is time to (Xavi and Iniesta) but if you made the choice to go elsewhere when you are still a very good player, which Godin is, then why all the tears? Godin could play at Atleti for another 2 years or so. He's a beast.

I don't understand the water works.

Just read that the reason he’s moving is salary and he’ll be the highest paid player at Inter making 6.75m a year on a 3 year contract.. but then I’ve googled his current salary and he seems to be earning more. I’m guessing Atletico didn’t want to offer him a new big contract to him when he’s 33 years old.. but it still seems a stupid decision to let him go for free and lose one of the top 5 CB in the world. Like you said he could easily play another 2/3 years for them.

BarcaOG

Banned
Just read that the reason he’s moving is salary and he’ll be the highest paid player at Inter making 6.75m a year on a 3 year contract.. but then I’ve googled his current salary and he seems to be earning more. I’m guessing Atletico didn’t want to offer him a new big contract to him when he’s 33 years old.. but it still seems a stupid decision to let him go for free and lose one of the top 5 CB in the world. Like you said he could easily play another 2/3 years for them.

I see--thanks for the info. So it's sort of the case that he's being forced out, if what you say is true. That's madness: if we didn't have so many CBs (and possibly with De Ligt coming) I'd take him in a heartbeat. And I'm sure teams like Chelsea, United and Arsenal would love to have him. I wonder why he chose Inter.

Home of Barca Fans