Camp Nou referendum approved

Stric

I'd vote leave it as it is. Or minor renovations. I can't tell for sure as I'm not an expert, but I've been to the Camp Nou and it looks fine to me. Brightening up the outer side up a wouldn't hurt maybe, but the stadium itself is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. If there are issues with the building itself that need to be dealt with, by all means go ahead, but I don't see the reason why it needs a major renovation. Or why we need a new stadium, either. Probably just to keep up with other clubs building new fancy stadiums. I wish it could be what it is and be used as such for many years to come. Besides, the price tags being mentioned are ridiculous. Completely unnecessary. Barca doesn't need an Allianz Arena to attract fans, Barca has soul. And so does the regular Camp Nou.

oz187

The reason to go with a new stadium is so they can have more corporate boxes and make more money year by year which over the next 50 years will in theory more than pay for the new stadium. If they can increase matchday revenue say 20% which would be around 30M a year, well it would take 20 years to pay for the stadium. Sponsership rights could also bring in a lot of money.

Camp Nou is fine, it's an amazing stadium. There is no need to get a new stadium. But in terms of raw numbers a new stadium would be the best bet. Of course you lose the history of the Camp Nou in the process. Either way, the club is in a great position.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
I'm supportive of both ideas, whatever the cub members decide I'm with them.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Donbass Arena sounds pretty state of the art

Vista-exterior-del-Donbass-Are_54270353022_54115221155_600_244.jpg

Sergio

Sergison
For anyone who has watched at the Camp, what's the shape of the stadium right now? Without biases, would you recommend building or renovating?
It needs upgrading for sure, but I think its important to look at the bigger picture:

Spain's economy, particularly its construction sector is in crisis. So for construction work, for those that can afford it, this is actually a very good time to build - construction costs are at rock bottom, from labour, design, materials, land purchase, low interest rates. But the key point is for those that can afford it. If you take Barca's board word for it, with record revenues etc, then it would seem a very shrewd moment to invest in infrastructure. This is if you take their word for it however, which I have to say I do not believe the financial position to be as healthy as they claim.

The second choice would be what to invest in, improve Camp Nou, or build new. Again you must refer to the economic situation. Both methods take advantage of cheap construction costs, but building new leaves the club open to significant risk and potential loss. The funding of any new stadium would need to be off set by the sale of the current land of Camp Nou. Obviously with land property prices so low this is not a good time to sell that asset. Furthermore it exposes the club to the risk of that land sale falling through, (highly likely in Spain right now even if you did find a buyer). You only need to go down the coast as far as Valencia to see how disasterous that can be.

The only logical development then is refurbishment of the current ground. Which by the way was already in place with the previous board but abandoned due to petty politicking. But again this is based on the club being as financially strong as it is said to be.

Pepe Silvia

Bad move by Barca board to even consider a new stadium as an option. Putting that kind of thought in stakeholder's minds is dangerous, with the economy as bad as it has been.

Home of Barca Fans