Camp Nou referendum approved

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC Barcelona’s members have voted to approve the staging of a referendum to decide the future of its Nou Camp home, with the club stating this process will be staged in either the 2014-15 or 2015-16 season.

73.38% of Barcelona’s delegate members voted in favour of holding a referendum on the subject, with vice-president of the economic and strategic area of the club, Javier Faus, noting that there are two options available. Faus stated that the redevelopment of the Nou Camp would cost Eur300 million, while the construction of a new stadium would not exceed Eur600 million.

“Nothing will be done until the club’s debt is reduced from its current levels.”

The future of Barcelona’s iconic stadium has been the cause of much debate in recent months. Speaking at his end-of-year address in June, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell announced that planned renovations at the Nou Camp had been put on hold despite the revelation of record financial results. Rosell insisted that a revamp of the Nou Camp would not be able to happen until the club’s debt is further reduced.

Last September, Barcelona announced plans to add 10,000 seats and install new VIP boxes at the Nou Camp, which currently has a capacity of 90,000, and also remodel the area surrounding the stadium (Espai Barca) and build a new arena (Palau Blaugrana) for the club’s basketball team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Btw. Allianz Arena cost was 340 million, and Faus says our new stadium could cost the double? A bit odd, if you ask me.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Btw. Allianz Arena cost was 340 million, and Faus says our new stadium could cost the double? A bit odd, if you ask me.

Very odd and Allianz is gorgeous

Something feels odd about the way this went down for me, still trying to sift through all of the nuances to get an idea of what is what...Still pretty clear that the current board wants a new stadium

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Don't doubt their financial skill. Remember they have obtained record profit from a bankrupt club... :rolleyes:

Tomchin

Maybe because of the difference in capacity? Allianz has a capacity of 70.000, while our new stadium would have a capacity of 110.000?

Home of Barca Fans