Van Bommel

BerkeleyBernie

It's a shame he had to end his career in a bad season, but he had an excellent career. He will start his coaching career next season, in PSV's youth academy.

Wouldn't call it exactly a bad season. PSV could have won both the title and the cup, though they managed to blow both at the end.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Wouldn't call it exactly a bad season. PSV could have won both the title and the cup, though they managed to blow both at the end.

PSV hired Advocaat and signed Van Bommel for one reason: to be champions once again. Ajax did, so it's a lost season. All of PSV's focus was on the title, and they came short, so, yeah, I'd still call it a bad season. This was the final chance for players like Van Bommel and probably players like Toivonen and Lens to win the title with PSV, so despite the lack of major prices in the last seasons it's still a disappointment.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
One of the greatest PSV players of the last 20 years. Underrated much and scrutinized also a lot for playing rough. 22 prizes won in his career, you have to salute that.

khorne

very good player and also honest about himself. with van bommel you always knew he was going to play like scum. I rather have players like him than the ones who high five you before the match and then elbow you in the ribs during a corner.
but oh boy, his performance in the wc 2010 final... I still don't know how iniesta's ligaments survived this

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Going to his final match tomorrow in Eindhoven! Players who will be on his side against the current PSV squad:

Goalkeepers:
Gomes, Waterreus, Lodewijks

Defenders:
Van der Wiel, Bouma, Jaap Stam, van Bronckhorst, Luca Antonini, Alex

Midfielders:
Torsten Frings, Thomas Muller, Wesley Sneijder, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Johan Vogel, John de Jong, Bruggink, Philip Cocu (?)

Forwards:
Arjen Robben, Ribery, Luc Nilis, Mateja Kezman, Roy Makaay, Zlatan Ibrahimović, Dirk Kuyt

Coaches:
Fred Rutten, Bert van Marwijk.

Man, what a team...

Gilberto

I'm on a photo with van Bommel :D
Fernando Ricksen, former football pro and Dutch international introduced his biography to the public in my home town last thursday and his buddy van Bommel was there. I took the opportunity and asked him if he wanted to pose for a picture with me (in the dialect that people in this region speak), and ofcourse he agreed. Its a pretty crappy photo because the light sucked and i forgot to turn the flashlight on :facepalm: but I am happy with the picture.

It was also a sad day because Ricksen was giagnosed with motor neurone disease that day. He didn't want to cancel the presentation because of all the preparations that had been made for that day.

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Please note: It is Fernando Ricksen who is diagnosed with ALS, not Van Bommel. Doesn't make it any less awful, but just to avoid confusion.

Messi983

He's replacing Cocu who will take over Fenerbahce. This will be Van Bommel's first coaching experience. Will be interesting to see how he'll do.

[tw]1010098197992214528[/tw]

Messi983

Maybe Cocu is still not a big/attractive enough coaching name to get interest from top clubs and with Fenerbahce he'll have a chance to qualify for the CL and they'll most likely also pay more than some midtable clubs in top 5 leagues. He's still young and has time to go to a bigger club/better league. Turkish League is probably more competitive (at least on the top) than Eredivisie with the big 3 and Basaksehir all challenging for the title. They were only 4 points apart last season. Fener hasn't won a title since 2013/14 (but they were runners-up usually) and they've won only two leagues in the last 10 years so this could still be a good challenge for Cocu.

Windhook

Fenerbahce has some tradition recently with Dutch coaches and they keep exploiting this trend. But in CL they got Benfica standing in their way to the group stages.

Home of Barca Fans