Arsenal

H

Haruko The Goon

Nah he'll stay.

We could get knocked out of the FA cup Semi Final, and even finish 6th, and he'll still stay. The club will never kick him out, never.

And he'll want to try to bring success back to the club. He's worked for 9 years on a tight budget where he'd be forced to sell players before buying. That was the case up until last summer when he was more relaxed about spending... and now with puma+Emirates money coming in.. he'll have even more to play with.

No way he'll walk away now, he's earnt it the last 8/9 years, so now it's his time to spend. (albeit wisley still) I'm not expecting £70m bids for Cavani etc lol, but I think we'll be able to spend 40m again.

Bids for Suarez, and Draxler are proof the quality of our targets are now higher than they've previously been. Exciting times, regardless of this season, wenger will stay.

Kerrybai

Staying at the top of the Premiership for 150+days.

Is that considered an achievement now? That's along cry from the Wenger glories days going through seasons unbeaten and lifting multiple trophies. Arsenal havn't had any peaks for a long time now, at least not anything significant. It's time for the owners to throw every penny into this team.

H

Haruko The Goon

No. But who said anything about an Achievement. The dude said the word "peaks".. and it's something no team has done since last year, go that long at the top. Injuries and a lack of a striker really crippled us.

Wenger will want to right them wrongs, so he'll be going into the summer looking to buy a striker who knows how to finish half chances.

Ketoth

What striker could Arsenal go for? I don't think they can lure the likes of Suarez/Cavani/Falcao any more. Chelsea need a striker and they are favourites to sign Costa. Arsenal will have to settle for second fiddle.

GoobiePls

S♥NE
He didn't get a striker last year whats to say he will now. I'm sure Wenger will find a way to screw things up and next year in march we can hear the good old "next year it will be better" again from his supporters.

He doesn't get his transfer targets, can't get his team to stand up mentally and is clueless tactically. Yet you still want him around :lol:

Ursegor

World Champion
He doesn't get his transfer targets, can't get his team to stand up mentally and is clueless tactically. Yet you still want him around :lol:

To be fair Ketoth is just deliberately acting like one of those kids who eats a whole Bhut Jolokia chili pepper raw and tells his friends around him that it isn't all that hot with visible tears in his eyes.

ammarfcb

ze special one
What striker could Arsenal go for? I don't think they can lure the likes of Suarez/Cavani/Falcao any more. Chelsea need a striker and they are favourites to sign Costa. Arsenal will have to settle for second fiddle.

man dat zukic, remy...any one remotely near france, lukaku? , giovinco, ciro T-mobile, kiesling, jackson martinez.

H

Haruko The Goon

Lukaku/Mandzukic/Bacca, possibly Benzema if Suarez goes to Real. Apart from that level, nobody else really. We won't be signing any top top class strikers.

pEllee

What striker could Arsenal go for?

Financially -- anyone. More than enough money to splash the cash on Cavani even if I personally don't think he's worth it.
Wenger will probably sign some average donkey like Mandzukic .

A bit fed up with all the crap striker signings really. Podolski, Chamakh, Giroud and Sanogo are some of the signings he's made in the last few years. None of those would start for any top 6 sides.
No top sides should ever have to start with players like Podolski and Giroud and worse -- a top side should never have to rely on players like Bendtner and Sanogo as second choice strikers. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

DB10

Yeah it's embarrassing to have Sanogo as your only other option. He should be 3rd, 4th in the pecking order or on loan. Bendtner is slightly different, was promising once and if he ever got his head right I don't think there would be much between him and Giroud. That's not saying much however for a team that presumes to challenge for titles, they're no where near enough the quality for that.

It's sad to hear and read the abuse Wenger is getting, he deserves criticism but not abuse. Hearing that just makes me want to back him to turn things around. Hand on heart though it's probably best for a change, we're not going to compete for the very best players so we need to bridge the gap tactically and sadly that's where Arsene is lacking.

H

Haruko The Goon

I reckon Wenger just knows how to manage a footballer, in particular the technical, attacking types that mirror his philosophy about the game, which is very pure and not overly aggressive or physical. He doesn't know how to manage characters like Fergie knew how to. Somebody who got into his players' heads, knew what type of person any of his players was, and what approach they needed to build up their character and keep them grounded and focused, whether they were playing regularly or not.

There are probably certain types of characters or situations in man-management that Wenger is clueless about, and when problems arise, he doesn't know how to lift his players or get them in the frame of mind they need to be in.

He had it good when he arrived, with characters like Adams, Keown, Parlour, Seaman, etc, in the squad. But he has struggled to find the players to build another team with that kind of mental fortitude. People say he built the Invincibles, but that was a one-off. He can build a team that has so much belief, they often had an air of invincibility about them even before they went the whole season unbeatan. But what happened to them when it all came crashing down? They bottled titles to Utd, the Invicibles fell to pieces and never really recovered. It's more like a layer of invincibility, and as soon as you break through that, the soft centre falls apart and Wenger is as lost as they are.

Ketoth

I reckon Wenger just knows how to manage a footballer, in particular the technical, attacking types that mirror his philosophy about the game, which is very pure and not overly aggressive or physical. He doesn't know how to manage characters like Fergie knew how to. Somebody who got into his players' heads, knew what type of person any of his players was, and what approach they needed to build up their character and keep them grounded and focused, whether they were playing regularly or not.

There are probably certain types of characters or situations in man-management that Wenger is clueless about, and when problems arise, he doesn't know how to lift his players or get them in the frame of mind they need to be in.

He had it good when he arrived, with characters like Adams, Keown, Parlour, Seaman, etc, in the squad. But he has struggled to find the players to build another team with that kind of mental fortitude. People say he built the Invincibles, but that was a one-off. He can build a team that has so much belief, they often had an air of invincibility about them even before they went the whole season unbeatan. But what happened to them when it all came crashing down? They bottled titles to Utd, the Invicibles fell to pieces and never really recovered. It's more like a layer of invincibility, and as soon as you break through that, the soft centre falls apart and Wenger is as lost as they are.

I'd like to think the opposite. You're correct about Wenger's managerial approach but I disagree on your analysis of the impact of it. He's a different kind of manager who rather than get in people's faces and throw shoes around he trusts his players to deliver. He will keep trusting them until he thinks the player has broken that trust, usually by outside tabloid trouble. He doesn't drop players if anyone tells him to, he will trust that player to deliver. Take Aaron Ramsey for example. A majority of Arsenal fans grew sick of the sight of Aaron Ramsey and now they sing his name with arms aloft for the quality he has shown and it's all down to Arsene Wenger's brilliant and guiding management.

Home of Barca Fans