Manchester United

khaled_a_d

Top of the table only because Real Madrid and our other competitors slipped up as well, while playing tougher games.

And this is why we won't be Milan, ay worst we got get a Gaspart type of slump but even that is unlikely
We have only 1 team that is really competing with us, the rest (including AM) are far inferior on every level, and even Real has never shown the ability to dominate the league in the way Juve and Bayern does

Morten

If you think about it, Moyes kinda was the least awful manager they had since Fergie, sure, the results were awful, but unlike LVG and Mourinho, he never got the chance to spend/waste all the money that they did.
On the other hand, he did inherit a PL-winning side, so maybe was the worst, after all?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
And would Real Madrid have won 3 CLs in a row without Ronaldo?

Fact is we do have Messi as part of the team. Argentina have won nothing with Messi so it is not as simple as that.

I don't care whether Real Marid would have won 3 CLs without Ronaldo, I am not a Real Madrid fan. Fact of the matter is, they played well when Ronaldo was not playing and they are doing fine without Ronaldo altogether right now. They are playing better than us right now.

I care about Messi-dependencia deepening everyday and there are so concrete actions taken by the club to plan for a post-Messi future.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
And this is why we won't be Milan, ay worst we got get a Gaspart type of slump but even that is unlikely
We have only 1 team that is really competing with us, the rest (including AM) are far inferior on every level, and even Real has never shown the ability to dominate the league in the way Juve and Bayern does

If we are not able to bring home championships, our sponsorship will drop, our merchandising revenue will drop and our game-day revenue will drop, which will adversely impact our ability to buy and sign top players which means we probably will not bring home championships. We do have the potential of getting into a vicious circle if we are not careful. That's why I have been amazed by how much revenue Manchester United has been able to generate despite lackluster result on the pitch.

We can't afford to be complacent.

khaled_a_d

If we are not able to bring home championships, our sponsorship will drop, our merchandising revenue will drop and our game-day revenue will drop, which will adversely impact our ability to buy and sign top players which means we probably will not bring home championships. We do have the potential of getting into a vicious circle if we are not careful. That's why I have been amazed by how much revenue Manchester United has been able to generate despite lackluster result on the pitch.

We can't afford to be complacent.

Trophies don't attract sponsership, being popular does.
Manu created their own brand, that is why they didn't get affected by it.
Barcelona won't get affected unless they got demolished for couple of decades or so. Because we have built our own brand through past decade and half.
Never mind there is a favourness for Barca & RM in TV deal that will never stop because Liga realize it needs those clubs to continue being dominant force and this at the end benefit everyone.
So yes, there is no chance we go down as Minlan did.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Trophies don't attract sponsership, being popular does.
Manu created their own brand, that is why they didn't get affected by it.
Barcelona won't get affected unless they got demolished for couple of decades or so. Because we have built our own brand through past decade and half.
Never mind there is a favourness for Barca & RM in TV deal that will never stop because Liga realize it needs those clubs to continue being dominant force and this at the end benefit everyone.
So yes, there is no chance we go down as Minlan did.

If we go several seasons without major trophies, I doubt that we will remain this popular. Also there is the Messi factor. I have seen many so-called “Barca fans” stating that they watch us solely because of Messi. Once Messi is gone, we could lose many fans and much of the appeal. We will not remain popular if we play bad and don't bring home trophies.

The bottom line is we need to revitalize and reinvigorate ourselves to stay ahead of our competitors.

Andrew M

If we go several seasons without major trophies, I doubt that we will remain this popular. Also there is the Messi factor. I have seen many so-called “Barca fans” stating that they watch us solely because of Messi. Once Messi is gone, we could lose many fans and much of the appeal. We will not remain popular if we play bad and don't bring home trophies.

The bottom line is we need to revitalize and reinvigorate ourselves to stay ahead of our competitors.

I think you're being rather pessimistic. There will always be casuals who support big players rather than the club, but we will have big players after Messi too.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think you're being rather pessimistic. There will always be casuals who support big players rather than the club, but we will have big players after Messi too.

I'd rather be pessimistic than sorry later.

What you said above could probably be said of the Milan clubs in the 90's. And look at where they are now.

Last edited:

Andrew M

I'd rather be pessimistic than sorry later.

What you said about could probably be said of the Milan clubs in the 90's. And look at where they are now.

But they were bankrolled by billionaires and relied upon private investment. If you look at the history of Milan's revenues over the past 15 years or so it's evident that there was next to no commercial growth at all. Berlusconi stopped investing heavily and they accrued unsustainable debts. This could be said of all Italian clubs, up until Juve recently, where they disregarded the significance of ensuring brand reach outside of their domestic market.

For us to become Milan it would take radical fiscal mismanagement.

Our revenues and brand are beyond anything Milan have ever had.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Won't become Milan, but we might become Man Utd.

If you think about it, Moyes kinda was the least awful manager they had since Fergie, sure, the results were awful, but unlike LVG and Mourinho, he never got the chance to spend/waste all the money that they did.
On the other hand, he did inherit a PL-winning side, so maybe was the worst, after all?

He signed Fellaini.

Man Utd whiffed once and twice, but the third time they should have done everything in their power to get Pep or Klopp and give them full control of the club.

El Gato

Villarato!

Aye. In Europe both teams may go back to having Arsenal-level exits, but league is not threatened at all. Unless some sheik revolutionises Seville and Valencia squad management and stops them from being selling clubs and even that doesn't happen without a 5-year growth period.

Morten

Won't become Milan, but we might become Man Utd.

He signed Fellaini.

Man Utd whiffed once and twice, but the third time they should have done everything in their power to get Pep or Klopp and give them full control of the club.

Fellaini turned out to be one of the best post-Fergie signings, even though thats not saying much.
Nothing compared to the money LVG and Mou spent though.

West Saxon

I am a Reading fan, and we've drawn United in the FA Cup. The game will be live on TV, so you'll all be able to see a really poor team in bad form, low on confidence, and struggling to score goals. You'll be able to see Reading too.

Home of Barca Fans