Manchester United

S7_MUFC

Oh my was your interest in Firmino not serious or did you actually just lose a player to LIVERPOOL???

I'm guessing we were interested in getting him on Cheap but backed out when the asking price reached near £30 million..We already have too many players who excel in the no 10 role and LVG's favourite formation doesn't even use no 10 so something was definitely fishy when we were linked with him right after signing Depay...

S7_MUFC

Haha, forced Liverpool to overpay.
Maybe but I'm thinking more along the line of us thinking he's to good to pass up on if the price is 13 million but backing out when we found out that the price was 29 million which is still reasonable for a player of his quality but too much for a luxury signing who's not needed...

BenRobbins

[formation=red,6]
Valdes
New RB-0-Smalling-0-Otamendi/Ramos-0-Shaw
0-0-0-Carrick-0-0-0
0-0-Herrera-0-Schniederlin-0-0
ADM-0--Rooney-0-0-Depay
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Like to see people's opinions please.

Good enough to win the EPL?

How far would that team go in europe with our possession style?

What could realistically improve?

Be interesting to hear other fans thoughts.

Alik

If the new signings settle in well, and ADM steps up, I think you could challenge for title. Although, I expect Chelsea to win it again.

S7_MUFC

[formation=red,6]
Valdes
0-0-0-Carrick-0-0-0
ADM-0--Rooney-0-0-Depay
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Not too confident about the title because Chelsea will be brutally efficient and most teams will park the bus against us but I'm really excited about Europe and It'd be interesting to how to cope with the likes of Bayern(compared to being content with losing by "only" two goals last time we were in europe")..

SwiftGuyver

[formation=red,6]
Valdes
0-0-0-Carrick-0-0-0
ADM-0--Rooney-0-0-Depay
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

strong team.

i'd predict Mata starting instead of Di María though.

Depay & Schneiderlin are both excellent additions.

i still have doubts about your CB positions.

i don't think you'll win the EPL this season as i think Chelsea are still too good but you'll probably be challenging for 2nd/3rd.

be interesting to see you back in the CL. you won't win it but you could progress to the knockout stages.

ceefoo

[formation=red,6]
Valdes
0-0-0-Carrick-0-0-0
ADM-0--Rooney-0-0-Depay
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Valdes - Still finding out if he can become the player he was before his serious injury. Needs to adjust to the EPL hustle-and-bustle style of play.

Smalling - Has improved, but I still don't think he is or ever will be an elite CB.

Shaw - Still a hell of a lot to prove. Not shown anything yet to suggest he was worth the huge transfer fee.

Carrick - Shocking at how reliant you still are on him. I saw a stat where there was a massive disparity in the games he didn't play last season. The win ratio fell dramatically without him. He'll be 34 next season, hence he's not going to be around much longer so 'replacing' him must be a priority within the next year.

Herrera - He is a good CM. Nothing special. Not the midfielder to make you a dominant force.

Di Maria - Suffering a loss in form, both at club and international level. They say class is permanent, so he is capable of coming good at United. Next season will tell if he has a future at Old Trafford.

Depay - An exciting, young prospect. He has the potential to become something 'special', and under LvG, he has the right coach to do so. It's just making that difficult transition from Dutch football to the EPL, where there is a huge gap in quality. He may need some time to adapt.

Rooney - Offloading RvP would be good him. He should be back at his preferred CF position and the team will benefit with him there as well. He turns 30 next season, and for a player that has been playing Premier League football since he was 16, he may not have that many years left in him. Another stalwart that will need replacing in the following year or so.

Not with this team.

A Quarter-Final is the maximum this team could hope to achieve, presuming they pre-qualify. Depending on the draw ofc.

The concerning thing is that Rooney, even with all these new signings, is still the go-to-man. There is still question marks over many over these players, and how they will adapt and step up to compete against Europes elite clubs.

If that was the starting XI going into the new season, then I wouldn't be very optimistic. If they could secure another top-four place, and maybe pick up a domestic cup, then I would consider that a successful season, and one to build on.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
[formation=red,6]
Valdes
0-0-0-Carrick-0-0-0
ADM-0--Rooney-0-0-Depay
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

Being a Liverpool supporter some here will accuse me of bias. However please do note what I am about to say has no bias to it whatsoever. Just my opinion on what you've put there.

I would say the defence is still going to be a weak spot. I don't think Smalling can cut it at the level where you want to be at imo. He has too many brain farts. I would also say the jury is out on Luke Shaw. He'll need to develop a lot further - but he'll need games to do so. So he is therefore going to be inconsistent at times during the developmental period. Ramos or Otamendi would be very good signings and would strengthen your defence a lot. I can't see Valdes being your No.1. I think you'll get another No.1 once De Gea leaves.

Herrera is a total class and your midfield should be built around him. Carrick is a really good DM but I don't think he is going to be a force for much longer, especially with his injury record. Morgan Schneiderlin would be a solid buy. But he'll never be a great player. He would be an upgrade on what you have now and does possess a lot of quality. But every time I see him play I don't see him reaching top, top class - like Matic or Ramsey for example. But for the premier league in terms of solidifying your position and challenging for the league he can do a job. But he isn't in the class of his would be peers at Arsenal or Chelsea. Only maybe city have CM's he can truly say he is as good as.

The front 3 is excellent. You have to hope Di Maria uses this past year under his belt to good use. Depay is an excellent player and I think will score plenty of goals and create plenty of assists.

So as to your questions:-

1. No I don't think it is good enough to win the Premier league. I think you'll need to upgrade one of the full back positions and get in another CB. With that midfield I would say you'll need to replace Carrick eventually and then you'd probably have a great midfield. As it is I don't see it as a premier league winning one. A lot depends how Di Maria does for you. I think that is key.

I think you'll get to the quarters of the CL. I think there are 6 or 7 teams that are better. But in knock out football you can never tell.

Defence could be improved. In regards to midfield - in terms of winning the title I think it isn't good enough - Herrera apart who is. As I said build the midfield around him.

But besides that I think the team lacks a real leaders. Back 5 years ago and of course 10 plus years ago you had leaders throughout the spine of your team. In goal, defence, midfield and attack you had leadership. I do not see this now. Apart from leadership there is also the question regarding character of the players. When the going gets tough, will the tough get going?

Then there is the LVG problem. It will eventually rear its ugly head as it has done at every club he's been at.

However let me conclude by saying I think you'll comfortably qualify for the CL next season. However I do not see you climbing above Chelsea or Arsenal in the league. I think City (with their current squad) are gettable. But it massively depends on who they sign. So I think you'll finish 3rd or 4th. In the CL I think you'll reach the quarters and I think you'll win a cup. Which would make it a successful season.

BenRobbins

All good and fair posts!

I share the same sentiments as many of you and think we won't win the league for a few years. Mainly due to the fact we do lack a genuine star like aguero and hazard and also because whilst we may improve greatly, so do the other teams above us.

Hopefully Memphis can become a star for us and Di Maria can find some form as i would love for him to make it here. I would like to see Smalling alongside a top class CB to see if he is up to the challenge, i personally think he will but i can see why people think he won't.

S7_MUFC

All good and fair posts!

I share the same sentiments as many of you and think we won't win the league for a few years. Mainly due to the fact we do lack a genuine star like aguero and hazard and also because whilst we may improve greatly, so do the other teams above us.

Hopefully Memphis can become a star for us and Di Maria can find some form as i would love for him to make it here. I would like to see Smalling alongside a top class CB to see if he is up to the challenge, i personally think he will but i can see why people think he won't.

We really need Di Maria to get back to his best to have any chance of challenging for the title. We need someone to match what Aguero,Hazard,Silva etc. do for our rivals...

Martindn

I havent been following transfer news lately, how sure is Schneiderlin? Because i would love him here liked him for years, such a hard working consistent player might be a poor mans Matic but i would be interested to see how he would do besides a player like Herrera, could be surprising. You cant always build a team of superstars who would have thought Young would be benching Di Maria last year?

S7_MUFC

I havent been following transfer news lately, how sure is Schneiderlin? Because i would love him here liked him for years, such a hard working consistent player might be a poor mans Matic but i would be interested to see how he would do besides a player like Herrera, could be surprising. You cant always build a team of superstars who would have thought Young would be benching Di Maria last year?

Most tabloids are reporting it as done deal although I'm yet to see anything concrete from the more reliable sources..
Edit: Bookies have suspended betting on him joining so the move seems imminent..

oggydude

I agree we lack any real leaders and experience in our team. Our midfield is reliant on Carrick and while Schneiderlin is a good replacement he is not an improvement, Fellaini will start most league games next season, and contrary to most MU supporters I'm quite happy about that, he gives us steel and a 2nd option against park the bus sides and has improved his technical ability this season. I actually think Smalling has got what it takes to make it as a elite, he was excellent for us last season before the city game and with more experience his brain fart moments will die out. The maximum in the league we can make it is probably 3rd, however in cup competitions you can never tell when you have a good tactician in LVG, and the talented front 3 we have plus the option of Fellaini but QF is a good shout.

Home of Barca Fans