Manchester United

Any United fans from the 90s here?

Can someone explain to me, or link me to a good article, why Eric Cantona is such a big legend for this club? Is it because he scored a winner against Liverpool in a cup final? I wiki'd about him a bit and, trophies aside, his stats are not that great, no BDOs and he stayed for 4.5 years only.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Any United fans from the 90s here?

Can someone explain to me, or link me to a good article, why Eric Cantona is such a big legend for this club? Is it because he scored a winner against Liverpool in a cup final? I wiki'd about him a bit and, trophies aside, his stats are not that great, no BDOs and he stayed for 4.5 years only.

Not a United fan (I do have sympathy for them though), but for me, he is the spark that lit United's dominance in the league. United hadn't won the league in almost 30 years, but that changed when he was signed. Kind of like Ronaldinho's importance for us.

WTF. Isn't that considered tampering? :lol:

Gotta love how Schmeichel seems to be a real fan of his old club though. This sort of adulation is what separates, RM, FCB, United and Bayern over everyone else IMO.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
It's amazing how powerful the United brand is. 2 seasons of nothing yet they became the first billion dollar brand, leapfrogging 2 teams that have actually had success in the last 2 years. Well, according to BrandFinance, no idea how trustworthy they are.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
It's amazing how powerful the United brand is. 2 seasons of nothing yet they became the first billion dollar brand, leapfrogging 2 teams that have actually had success in the last 2 years. Well, according to BrandFinance, no idea how trustworthy they are.

its got to be due to the ridiculous kit deal coupled with the EPL TV deal.

Manchester united were not made in two seasons.... they are and I say this with no ego intended a giant and colossal entity in the world of football. I can't even imagine a football world without them.

I'm not a business man but id agree with you "Behrox" about their ability to yield cash from the combined immense success (and history) and huge fame (FANS) around the globe which is what it boils down to for every club I feel. I'd also suggest the fact they play in the premier league helps a ton in "different ways" to how madrid and Barcelona receive capital....

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Oh course, they are massive, never said otherwise. It just shows how powerful they are to not need success to overtake 2 also gigantic and currently successful sides.

Sterlingfan2000

United have complete Dominance in Asia, in Europe they arent that big. Also The Premier League is the most watched and most followed league in the World, a match between United vs Chelsea/Liverpool/City has more Viewers than a CL Final , or 2-3x times more then El Classico. So its normal that United is bigger brand than others

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
United have complete Dominance in Asia, in Europe they arent that big. Also The Premier League is the most watched and most followed league in the World, a match between United vs Chelsea/Liverpool/City has more Viewers than a CL Final , or 2-3x times more then El Classico. So its normal that United is bigger brand than others

I think that is a myth. Every time I see people claiming Manchester United is the most supported/popular football club in the world I ask for some stats and I get nothing.

S7_MUFC

City are 4th in their valuation ahead of Barca so I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. I think we are easily in the top 3 clubs along with Barca and Real so that should be enough to keep attracting these sponsorship deals because EPL gets more exposure than other leagues and we usually have more high profile games so Brands get more exposure..

BenRobbins

We have a lot of fans in the US aswell. That Pre season game against real where 110 thousand turnt up and the majority were united fans. Marca edited the photo which was terrible but hilarious.

Barca and United are going on the same tour again this year so hopefully we can get similar numbers again which would be a great spectacle. We also play psg so it will be interesting to see how much fans they have out there.

S7_MUFC

We have a lot of fans in the US aswell. That Pre season game against real where 110 thousand turnt up and the majority were united fans. Marca edited the photo which was terrible but hilarious.

Barca and United are going on the same tour again this year so hopefully we can get similar numbers again which would be a great spectacle. We also play psg so it will be interesting to see how much fans they have out there.
What's the capacity of the stadium where we face Barca?, I remember the pre season game from a few years ago and the atmosphere was terrific..Also that was the game people started over hyping Tom Cleverley..

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Barcelona play United in Santa Clara at Levi Stadium (Right near Great America amusement park), capacity 68,500

Richard.H

I had enough money to get tickets for the July game, but I figured with it being so close to the end of Copa America, that Neymar, Bravo, Messi, Suarez, and Dani Alves will more than likely rest. Don't get me wrong I love the other players in our team but if I'm going to pay upward of $85 for crappy seats, I expect to see all the players.

I definitely have plans for watching a game in Camp Nou though soon. Already started saving money :)

Home of Barca Fans