Manchester City

mc_lovin

Again, it sounds like nice guys are a problem. Iniesta for example was a true champion. No one sane would take Van Bommel over him.

We can thankfully still field 11 players, so theres plenty of space for different types of players and personalities.

Rory

Wenger had similar problems at Arsenal with this ridiculous idea that his team had to be this pure techincal/flair style team with no physicality and no leaders. With Liverpool far away the best prem team, chelsea investing hundreds of millions, arsenal finally making good transfer/manager decisions, Leicester looking good, spurs have mourihno at least who gets results. I'd be surprised to see city finish 2nd

BBZ8800

Again, it sounds like nice guys are a problem. Iniesta for example was a true champion. No one sane would take Van Bommel over him.

We can thankfully still field 11 players, so theres plenty of space for different types of players and personalities.

A documentary about La Masia literally said that they are raising kids to be polite and nice. And they teach them not to curse, not to fight, not to be mean.
Which is not bad in real world, but could be a problem on a field.

So, the problem is that majority of La Masia players are choirboys.
Which means that other players whom we buy need to be more combative to bring balance.

But then remember a summer of 22 a few years ago: Denis, Gomes, Paco.
Or later Dembele and Coutinho.

The problem is if we have La Masia choirboys and then we pair them with foreign choirboys.

mc_lovin

Nothing really to argue there (other than Denis and co were never good enough in both worlds). Hopefully we find some players with more grit post Alba/Busquets/Pique.

FinBarcelonafan

Nice guys win ONLY if they are vastly superior in terms of technique.
Like in once in a lifetime Messi-Xavi-Iniesta-Busi-Alves generation.

If you aren't superior and you are tied on skills with tougher-combative guys, you will mentally crumble in majority of cases like on away matches, in the last 10 minutes etc

No wonder that Barca historically is the worst big European team on away matches.
Because we get bullied and we are more prone to crumble under pressure.

Also, it is not a surprise that Pep's City, who is mostly built aroung technical choirboys guys, crumble under pressure whenever the stakes are high in CL matches.

There is something primal in those matches and in those final do-or-die minutes.

Iirc, since 2008, Barca managed only two last minute clutch wins in 12 years: Chelsea 2009 and Psg 2017.
And even then, street boy asshole Neymar turned the match and not Messi, Busi or Iniesta.

Very true. Its part of it. Barcas away record in CL is a disgrace. Something they should focus on.

Jenks

They don't have a nice guy problem, they have a Fernandinho is ageing and Rodri is not good enough problem. Their front line doesn't scare anyone any more either. Sterling is out of form, Agurero and now Jesus are injured, and Mahrez doesn't really offer much threat in behind. They really need to start sitting and countering against teams, but Pep will never do that.

Andrew M

They don't have a nice guy problem, they have a Fernandinho is ageing and Rodri is not good enough problem. Their front line doesn't scare anyone any more either. Sterling is out of form, Agurero and now Jesus are injured, and Mahrez doesn't really offer much threat in behind. They really need to start sitting and countering against teams, but Pep will never do that.

I totally agree on Rodri. The guy is so pedestrian. They're a very good side I think nevertheless, but not quite good enough

Messi983

:lol: :rofl1:

EjHHa-LX0AYqhWk

EjHHa--WkAEwIW3

Adversus

I still think City will finish 2nd just due to the cost of their squad but Pep has lost his magic.

I think the players have lost belief they can win the games that matter against the big teams and as a result their motivation doesn't look to be there.

FinBarcelonafan

I'd be shocked if he continues with City. He needs a break/new plan. You could see it in his face already one or two years ago. Not the same passion he had the first few years.

Morten

I'd be shocked if he continues with City. He needs a break/new plan. You could see it in his face already one or two years ago. Not the same passion he had the first few years.

City needs a rebuild, thats something Pep really hasnt done before, though he has introduced new players to his teams, replacing an entire core is something else.

Is he a team-builder? Doesnt look like it, Silva, Fernandinho, Yaya, Kompany and Aguero havent really been replaced.

FinBarcelonafan

City needs a rebuild, thats something Pep really hasnt done before, though he has introduced new players to his teams, replacing an entire core is something else.

Is he a team-builder? Doesnt look like it, Silva, Fernandinho, Yaya, Kompany and Aguero havent really been replaced.

True. He has signed none of the key players.

Home of Barca Fans