Manchester City

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't care about epl that much and fact marketing in US and China made them lucrative. Not fans, not success. Rich owners and marketing.
It's nice to be reminded that clubs like Barca and Real don't have sugardaddies and are owned by fans :)
I do care about that and so should any Barca fan.

JamDav1982

Don't care about epl that much and fact marketing in US and China made them lucrative. Not fans, not success. Rich owners and marketing.
It's nice to be reminded that clubs like Barca and Real don't have sugardaddies and are owned by fans :)
I do care about that and so should any Barca fan.

It was not marketing that was at route of the league more popular world wide but they have grasped the idea of marketing as a whole much quicker and more effectively than other countries.

The EPL is just the most watched and discussed league in world. Even on here it is evident.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
That's true too. English language helped immensely there though. As is continuing to help through media with English becoming lingua franca and thus epl stories getting massive reach.

I look up stories on Barca players even and they get tagged as "Crystal Palace target", etc. It's very much skewed towards epl.

JamDav1982

That's true too. English language helped immensely there though. As is continuing to help through media with English becoming lingua franca and thus epl stories getting massive reach.

Yeah English language helps to an extent but more folk world wide speak Spanish and dont think it matters too much in Asia etc what language is connected to a league really.

English teams were dominating europe at time it started to go a bit more global in late 70/80s it is why Liverpool are so huge. Also events like Munich with Man Utd gave them a global name and lot of good will.

Barca and Real are two biggest in world though.

The EPL is about to start showing games at 7.45pm om Saturday nights soon to try and get even more exposure.

Flemischduck

Perhaps the competitiveness of the EPL is a factor too, the top tended to be shared by more teams than in ome other league's, well especially compared to Ligue1 and the Bundesliga where you kinda can easily guess who's going to win the league.

However, for myself there is another reason why i prefer the EPL: Tv style drama. There seems to be more banter in the style of typical english humor, there is more of a show besides the pitch. Thats is especially so compared to the Bundesliga imo where things are just too rational and sportive. I have followed KDB as being a big fan of him, and i was very happy when he moved from Bundesliga to the EPL simply for the reason that there would be much more discussion about him, English languaghe football forums and their fans are infinitly more active and vocal than German ones.

Adversus

City may have spent a lot of money assembling their team, but it's not like they've been in a position to buy world class talents all over the pitch like PSG. Sterling, Sane, Walker, Stones, Otamendi etc. are good players, but how many other coaches would be able to get this level of performance out of them? If winning like this with money was so easy then past managers would have done it with City before him, or hell, United would be doing it as well because they've spent stupid amounts of money too.

Exactly. Getting this group of players playing like this is far more impressive than what he achieved with Barca.

I also think the speed and competitiveness of the BPL has forced Pep to go up a gear. We (Everton) even handed him his worst defeat 4-0 so unlike the other leagues it hasn't been straightforward but now he has sorted that.

JamDav1982

Exactly. Getting this group of players playing like this is far more impressive than what he achieved with Barca.

I also think the speed and competitiveness of the BPL has forced Pep to go up a gear. We (Everton) even handed him his worst defeat 4-0 so unlike the other leagues it hasn't been straightforward but now he has sorted that.

It isnt more impressive than what he did at Barca. Not even close to it for now.

henias

Then stop living in the past, for christ sake. Even Barcelona isnt the same, and people respected that, but for Pep, people seem to degrade him for the sake of doing it. If he hasn't been so successful this season, people will still call him a fraud. Man City isnt even that stacked and the reason they looked good is due to form and Pep's guudance. Give credit where credit is due.

JamDav1982

Then stop living in the past, for christ sake. Even Barcelona isnt the same, and people respected that, but for Pep, people seem to degrade him for the sake of doing it. If he hasn't been so successful this season, people will still call him a fraud. Man City isnt even that stacked and the reason they looked good is due to form and Pep's guudance. Give credit where credit is due.

Man City are massively stacked in almost every position.

Who is not giving Pep credit?

El Gato

Villarato!
He did great with us (probably our best period of all time) but I see nothing I haven't seen already and certainly not better than Barca 09-11. He stood on Cruyff's shoulders and that was awesome, now he is standing on oil money. It's just fake. You know, like fake boobs. They can look great on a girl but they are fake nontheless.

Terrible that. He should probably call Busi, Xavi, Messi and co, tell them to make as many babies as possible and send them to City's youth academy. He can even take a 20 year break and then come back and do the same as he did.

Or he could just keep managing with whatever resources he has.

Tough choice... not, lol.

Jenks

The £6bn Sky/BT TV rights deal is domestic, it has nothing to do with the US or China. The China rights were sold for a fraction of that.

Last edited:

CityFanInPeace

If it were up to me, I'd have Pep sign a lifetime contract. Knowing that he will leave us someday occasionally makes me feel bittersweet. I'd watch this football forever, even if we didn't win as much.

I never appreciated his genius at Barca due to Messi and the rest. Now it is obvious, his system and attention to detail is worth more than any single player. Granted he has spent a fortune, but it was so frustrating watching Pellegrini, Hughes and Mancini spend fortunes on players that clearly didn't fit. Hundreds of millions spent on players like Robinho and Balotelli. Buying actual talent like Boateng and Savic, who were shipped out the moment their confidence dropped. Pep coaches up mediocre players who can function alongside talented ones, like Fabian Delph (who was as far out the door as I've ever seen a player before redeeming himself)

Another thing. Before him we always had damaging leaks to the media. Players complaining about playing time. Yaya birthday cake fiasco. Tevez fucking off to Argentina mid-season. The English contingent stabbing Mancini in the back after losing the FA Cup. Somehow Pep gets everyone focused. There have been no negative leaks since he came. The players who don't play still seem happy, they don't stir shit in the press. I don't know how he does it.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
other than the fact that i like pep im relatively indifferent to the epl. but as a neutral i do enjoy watching city play. they are the most enjoyable club to watch atm. i think its sort of (but not quite) what neutral fans must have felt watching pep's barca 2009-2011

Home of Barca Fans