Manchester City

Arachnid

Chamakh was actually quite good when he first joined. Got tired. Then never recovered.

I never saw that. He was pretty useless even back at the beginning, but managed to score a couple headers against weak opposition and overeager fans were all "he'll improve a lot". He didn't, and then even stopped scoring at all.

Sheikh Ya Bootayy

Anyway we have announced the details of the best youth facilities in the world, whether it produces top players is another matter but its a good start.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You are still limited in that recruiting rule? I know Arsenal fans were talking something about their limited pool of youngsters?

Sheikh Ya Bootayy

You are still limited in that recruiting rule? I know Arsenal fans were talking something about their limited pool of youngsters?

That has been scrapped or will be scrapped next season. A new scheme is in place called the Elite Player Performance Plan. It will be a few years but it will no doubt be an improvement to the national team in the coming years.

England's new St George's Park facility may also help our national game.

Last edited:

Jenks

There used to be a 90 minute rule whereby teams could only recruit kids who lived within 90 minutes of the club. There also used to be limits set on the contact time kids could have with coaches each week. Both have been abolished for Category 1 & 2 academies.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you think English youngsters will find it more difficult to break in with the new rule coming in? The new rule doesn't hold restrictions on youngsters from other countries?

Sheikh Ya Bootayy

Don't you think English youngsters will find it more difficult to break in with the new rule coming in? The new rule doesn't hold restrictions on youngsters from other countries?

The rules don't change the fact that foreign players can come in. It means the best English talent can go to the best academy for them rather than having them go to some lower league one which doesn't let them reach their potential.

Jenks

There was never any restrictions on foreign kids. The only reason clubs brought in so many foreign kids in the first place was because of the poor quality of the English kids the country was producing. What the rules should do is make it easier for the best kids to get to the best academies, rather than the case had been , where tribunals can stick extortionate prices on the heads of kids based on "potential", which makes the best clubs shy away from buying them and go for a cheaper foreign imports instead. Cesc, for example, would have cost Arsenal much, much more if he had been English, perhaps even too much to take a chance on him.

That's not to say English kids won't find it difficult to break into the first team, but it'll have more to do with there being no B teams in England than anything else. Something that doesn't look likely to change. We can only hope that the changes to the reserve system, pitting the best sides against one another (instead of it being regional) should raise the quality of game time for those between 17-21 sufficiently. And I know we're moving towards small-sided games for the youngsters, but I'd like to see more Futsal at all levels too.

Last edited:

impeh

Hi, its me..
Meet Txiki Begiristain, Manchester City's new man and Guardiola's mentor
Manchester City's new director of football is the man credited with bringing Pep Guardiola to Barcelona; the question everyone wants to know is: will he bring him to Eastlands?

.. wonder if they can lure Pep..

Jenks

A_i-1n9CMAAMwxK.jpg

Home of Barca Fans