Liverpool

Kerrybai

It may sound harsh but I'm delighted the truth came out before Thatcher passed away. On a side not can anyone shed some light on the relationship between Liverpool and Juventus supporters? Have things improved over the years or is there still a sense of conflict? I always found it interesting that Del Piero turned down a possible move to Anfield citing Heysel as his reason.

XaviMessiGirl

It may sound harsh but I'm delighted the truth came out before Thatcher passed away. On a side not can anyone shed some light on the relationship between Liverpool and Juventus supporters? Have things improved over the years or is there still a sense of conflict? I always found it interesting that Del Piero turned down a possible move to Anfield citing Heysel as his reason.

There's still a decent sized anti-Liverpool sentiment in Italy, even by some non-Juve supporters. In fact I was told by a friend before I went there that I shouldn't wear any Liverpool stuff there or make any reference to me being a Liverpool fan. Though Inter fans did raise a memorial banner for Hillsborough after the papers came out, and I know Milan supporters did a tribute soon after the tragedy occurred. So it probably really depends on who you ask. I'm guessing the majority of Juve fans still harbor some hostility towards Liverpool/their fans though. Does not help that other clubs' fans still make banners mocking Heysel when they play against Juve.

Kerrybai

There's still a decent sized anti-Liverpool sentiment in Italy, even by some non-Juve supporters. In fact I was told by a friend before I went there that I shouldn't wear any Liverpool stuff there or make any reference to me being a Liverpool fan. Though Inter fans did raise a memorial banner for Hillsborough after the papers came out, and I know Milan supporters did a tribute soon after the tragedy occurred. So it probably really depends on who you ask. I'm guessing the majority of Juve fans still harbor some hostility towards Liverpool/their fans though. Does not help that other clubs' fans still make banners mocking Heysel when they play against Juve.

Thanks Flavia. I've been researching the topic and find that the view of the incident from both sides to be very different. Of course it was a horrible incident but it's also a shame that close to 100% of the blame was absorbed by Liverpool which should never have happened.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I often go to a Juventus forum (an 80% spoken in Italian I may add). I first joined that forum in 2005 when we were drawn against each other in the quarters of the CL.

When I first joined I wasn't readily accepted, as was anticipated of course and over those 2 legs I was engaging in conversation all the time. I chatted with many Juventus supporters and it was really heart warming that they accepted me as Liverpool supporter and didn't give me abuse at all. We chatted like adults. We did discuss Heysel and there were many differing opinions of which I learnt a lot.

Some of them still harbour a lot of resentment and I can totally understand that. Some of them have forgiven but not forgotten and others were more resentful of UEFA and the Stadia. But we all got along which was the main thing.

After we beat them they all congratulated us on a deserved victory and wished us well in the CL. When we won it they were happy for me and Liverpool - although I'd hazard a guess that it was mostly because of who we beat!

Anyway that was 8 years ago. Fuck me as I wrote that I can't believe how much time as gone by.

Anyway over the course of the 8 years I kept in contact with them and I have a real friendship now with a couple of Juventus supporters.

When I went to Italy a few years ago I met the two of them and I stayed at one of them's place for the night whilst we were out drinking!

Many Juventus supporters still don't forgive and I totally understand that too but time has thawed the relationship between the clubs definitely.

So I'll hold the Juventus supporters opinions over Heysel in much more regard than anyone else's views in their attempts to win points in a debate or use it as a stick to dish out stupid comments.

But AC Milan are my italian team and boy do they know that :D

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
:lol:

I think most Italians who are old enough to remember the incident feel hesitant towards Liverpool due to what happened

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Great reply Anfielded. I appreciate you taking the time. It's great to hear this things have improved. From my experience speaking with both Liverpool and Juve fans there is a sense of injustice relating to Uefa and how they never took responsibility for the large part they played. After what happened in Rome in 84 it was clear that things could get very nasty at Heysel.

Home of Barca Fans