Liverpool

serghei

I think if Klopp stays at Liverpool he'll make some things happen. He already started by benching that 34m. pounds useless striker who goes by the name of Benteke. Got on the field in the final, and thought he's in England, started fouling at every header.

Another one who suffers from EPL syndrome, the place where being big is the no1 asset of a "world class" central forward.

BarcaOG

Banned
feel sad for klopp, not liverpool. hes such an awesome coach. hope he brings a 3-4 players to liverpool and really builds a team after his own style.

Nucky

Klopp is far from average manager as Rodgers but he has a lot of work before Liverpool will be favorites for league title.. First they must be stong enough to fight on more than one front.. They currently aren't..

serghei

The stuff some of you believe about England... :lol:

Well, I'm sorry, but most of the transfers there and their ridiculous prices force people to have that perception. With the money Liverpool payed for Caroll and Benteke, Sevilla would build an entire team that would last them for years with minor changes in the squad.

BigBarcaBoy

Well, I'm sorry, but most of the transfers there and their ridiculous prices force people to have that perception. With the money Liverpool payed for Caroll and Benteke, Sevilla would build an entire team that would last them for years with minor changes in the squad.

benteke appears to be have been bought for the sole reason that he always plays well against us which isn't really the way to operate.

Jenks

The fact that Liverpool overpaid for two target men does not 'force' anyone to have the perception that all people care about here are big strong forwards. That's a ridiculous non sequitur. They don't overpay because these forwards are big and strong and that's all they want, they overpay because at the time they seemed Premier League proven goalscorers, and £30m+ for that isn't that much for a top end Premier League side.

serghei

Are you telling me there is no bias towards big no9s who can wrestle for the ball and get to the end of crosses? Cause I don't buy that. It's the first thing they look when they sign a forward. Benteke is plain average at everything but physique and aerial strength. Only place in top football he can cost over 10m is England.

Last edited:

Jenks

Are you telling me there is no bias towards big no9s who can wrestle for the ball and get to the end of crosses? Cause I don't buy that. It's the first thing they look when they sign a forward. Benteke is plain average at everything but physique and aerial strength. Only place in top football he can cost over 10m is England.

Because no other league has the sort of money that the Premier League does. There's more money than talent. Benkete was a proven Premier League goalscorer, £30m is nothing for that, and he had much more to his game than being big and strong at Villa*. Besides, the strikers that Premier League sides paid most for were Torres and Aguero. Carroll is next, but that's only because Liverpool had £50m from the Torres deal and Newcastle knew it.

serghei

Because no other league has the sort of money that the Premier League does. There's more money than talent. Benkete was a proven Premier League goalscorer, £30m is nothing for that, and he had much more to his game than being big and strong at Villa*. Besides, the strikers that Premier League sides paid most for were Torres and Aguero. Carroll is next, but that's only because Liverpool had £50m from the Torres deal and Newcastle knew it.

The inflation in PL market is so obvious we don't really need to talk about that. But what's stopping the PL teams to do better scounting? You replaced Torres and Suarez with Caroll and Benteke. Two proven PL players who are a product of the way brittish press and media and fanbase in general overrate football players based on a period of good moments in that league (sometimes short). Some great games - boom! - "the next Messi", the "next Xavi", the "best CB in the world" and the 40-50-60m. price tag. You replaced worldwide certified talents with players who are probably rated nowhere else on the planet, except in the Premier League.

Benteke in 6 years has 6 goals for Belgium NT. How is that possible for a 34m. pounds player? Maybe, just maybe, he's simply not that good.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

The inflation in PL market is so obvious we don't really need to talk about that. But what's stopping the PL teams to do better scounting? You replaced Torres and Suarez with Caroll and Benteke. Two proven PL players who are a product of the way brittish press and media and fanbase in general overrate football players based on a period of good moments in that league (sometimes short). Some great games - boom! - "the next Messi", the "next Xavi", the "best CB in the world" and the 40-50-60m. price tag. You replaced worldwide certified talents with players who are probably rated nowhere else on the planet, except in the Premier League.

Benteke in 6 years has 6 goals for Belgium NT. How is that possible for a 34m. pounds player? Maybe, just maybe, he's simply not that good.

They replaced Suarez with Balotelli not Benteke who signed 1 year later.
And actually I think Benteke is a bit underrated player right now.he is a good striker .probably was worth half his price but 10 goals & 6 assists in 2200 minutes isn't that awful tbf

serghei

They replaced Suarez with Balotelli not Benteke who signed 1 year later.
And actually I think Benteke is a bit underrated player right now.he is a good striker .probably was worth half his price but 10 goals & 6 assists in 2200 minutes isn't that awful tbf

Yea true. But, tell you what, Balotelli has other problems - which are well documented, but strictly as a footballer, he's better than Benteke.

For me, Benteke is not cut out for the highest level. He'll probably spend his whole career in the Premier League, achieving little with the national team, and even less in european club competitions.

About NT, when you look it like that it's not that awful. But 24 caps in 6 years is awful. Seems to be he's not even the best belgian striker in the league, Lukaku is. Who's not even that great himself. It's a circle of players who are rated far higher than what they've proven so far.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Yea true. But, tell you what, Balotelli has other problems - which are well documented, but strictly as a footballer, he's better than Benteke.

For me, Benteke is not cut out for the highest level. He'll probably spend his whole career in the Premier League, achieving little with the national team, and even less in european club competitions.

About NT, when you look it like that it's not that awful. But 24 caps in 6 years is awful. Seems to be he's not even the best belgian striker in the league, Lukaku is. Who's not even that great himself. It's a circle of players who are rated far higher than what they've proven so far.

tbh,I tend to agree with Jenks point .It isn't about bias to big n09 .It is more of bias towards proven players in your own league
No one claimed they are doing gr8 business in the transfers,but let' be honest here ,every big club in the world will have a certain bias towards players from their own league .that includes us,Bayern,PL clubs etc
They are players who are used to the language(even in english speaking language it can be problem for many foreign players) ,country & the league . so usually they can adapt more quickly.
It is just like John Stones and how Chelsea made a 50M bid just to get rejected last summer.they wanted a young CB and there was no CB in England who met those requirements more than Stones

As for Benteke ,Atletico & Juve are interested in him (probably on a bargain deal) so he might still have a chance for a career in big club.It was just his 1st year in a new club tbf

serghei

tbh,I tend to agree with Jenks point .It isn't about bias to big n09 .It is more of bias towards proven players in your own league
No one claimed they are doing gr8 business in the transfers,but let' be honest here ,every big club in the world will have a certain bias towards players from their own league .that includes us,Bayern,PL clubs etc
They are players who are used to the language(even in english speaking language it can be problem for many foreign players) ,country & the league . so usually they can adapt more quickly.
It is just like John Stones and how Chelsea made a 50M bid just to get rejected last summer.they wanted a young CB and there was no CB in England who met those requirements more than Stones

As for Benteke ,Atletico & Juve are interested in him (probably on a bargain deal) so he might still have a chance for a career in big club.It was just his 1st year in a new club tbf

It's about bias towards proven players in their own league, I agree, but if that proven players usually share the same core quality (Carol, Benteke, Lukaku and others, big no9s with their physique as their main strenght), then the bias is actually related to that primary quality which makes them to be proven in the first place. Do you think Benteke and Carol type of players would be proven in La Liga for example. Probably not. Why? Because the qualities that are viewed as the most important in Spain are not their main strenght. They are big men that don't have the finesse and the technique to survive in a football that is tactical, and extremely technical. Unfortunately for Liverpool and other british teams, that is the football that is played right now in the world - the modern football. So, what is "Proven in PL" has become dated in world football. Nobody other than PL clubs chases "PL proven". But "La Liga proven", or "Bundesliga proven", or even "Ligue 1 proven" (see Lacazette, Dembele etc.) is desired in every top league (see Barca connected to Reus, to Lacazette, or Dembele). Do you ever imagine Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid, Atletico, Dortmund, PSG, being interested in Carol and Benteke for those prices? That will never happen, because he is viewed as not having the right skillset from the start. Benteke's skillset would not make him truly succesful in any top league except England. So, it's no surprise that a manager who came from outside of the british football culture has benched him pretty fast.

Every club has bias towards players from their own league, I also agree with that, but the problem then is about the quality of players which that league produces. Right now, having bias towards the players that play in Premier League is a loosing strategy.

Let's see Pep at City. I'd be surprised (if not shocked) if I see him sign a single player from the Premier League that would form his first 11. A SINGLE PLAYER. Premier League can only be succesful at this moment in time, by attracting top talent from other leagues. Because whatever is viewed as "PL proven" is not at the required standard to succeed in Europe. But considering the only certified top british talent left for Real Madrid not long ago, the hopes are not that high. You have to keep your golden talent first, to be able to attract the foreign talent. And when a certified class player like Di Maria signed for United, what did it happen? He looked lost, because he has arrived in a football that doesn't maximize his ability, but instead, is build on basics that does not favour him. Now, if Di Maria had Ronaldo's ambition, he would've prevailed probably and turned the odds upside down. But few players have that ambition (and let's not forget that Ferguson probably played a big part in helping Ronaldo adapt to a football that DID NOT favour him). So, when Di Maria had problems adapting, like Ronaldo also had, he didn't stay and fought it out, but left at the first chance he had.

PL proven in Premier League means Benteke with 6 goals in 6 years at the NT (not counting goals/mins. played), that's not good enough. If PL proven is not quality enough you start looking elsewere. Liverpool's best strikers in the last 10 years were Torres and Suarez. Latin, technically gifted players. When they got payed over 100m. pounds for them two, why didn't Liverpool follow the same pattern. Instead, they signed "PL proven" players and have now lost the appeal they had back in the mid 00's to attract top top players.

Last edited:

BigBarcaBoy

really doubt that Juve and Atletico are seriously interested and liverpool will certainly not let someone go on the cheap, most likely destination is West Ham for about 20 million, personally I would like to see him stay but with no european football it's hard to see him playing regularly

Home of Barca Fans