Liverpool

Morten

That obviously is only true for those of higher age and/or lesser education, just like in every other country, I'd say. Generally, the level of English competence in Germany is rather high though, still not equal to Holland, or the Skandinavian countries ofc, which has a lot to do with the better education systems there as well as the habit that no one dubs movies, whereas in German, you will probably find the best dubbed movies you can find regarding the quality of the speakers, who are usually actors themselves and regularly dub the same more pupular Hollywood actors so that there is a sense of recognition. Anyways, back to LFC and Kloppo :p

Well, i been to Germany, i was rather unimpressed with the english skills there. But it has little to do with "better education systems", as my own countrys education is nothing special for a devoloped country. My country is small and "insignificant", so its natural that the population learns a big language on the side. German is already pretty big so no big reason to learn another major language to the same degree. And the dubbing...yeah, that also annoyed me in germany, france and other countries. What we do here, is pretty much always have it cast in its true language, then just add subtitles. I feel thats just a better option, watching dubbed tv, even if i understand it is just weird.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, i been to Germany, i was rather unimpressed with the english skills there. But it has little to do with "better education systems", as my own countrys education is nothing special for a devoloped country. My country is small and "insignificant", so its natural that the population learns a big language on the side. German is already pretty big so no big reason to learn another major language to the same degree. And the dubbing...yeah, that also annoyed me in germany, france and other countries. What we do here, is pretty much always have it cast in its true language, then just add subtitles. I feel thats just a better option, watching dubbed tv, even if i understand it is just weird.

rural, urban? age? education? As I said, really depends.

Morten

rural, urban? age? education? As I said, really depends.

Ofc, younger people knew english better than the elderly. But i still came across quite young folks who didnt have a clue. Its understandable, as i said, Germany is a big country, its natural not to focus much on other big languages. Norwegians really dont have a choice, do they?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I agree with Morten. Twice I have been to Germany and I'd say I was surprised by the inability of many (mostly relatively young folks) to speak English, probably for the reasons that Morten mentioned. On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised that quite a lot of Parisians spoke English willingly to me.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, whatever. Maybe you had the ill luck to catch a few really dumb and uneducated Germans/inhabitants of Germany. There are more of those than you would think... :p

Morten

Well, whatever. Maybe you had the ill luck to catch a few really dumb and uneducated Germans/inhabitants of Germany. There are more of those than you would think... :p

I wouldnt call people dumb just because they dont know basic english. Its not like people in big countries such as Germany, Spain or France really needs it all that much. Smaller countries such as mine, really needs to learn a big language to a much greater extent. It often falls to english. But i was kinda suprised at first that many didnt know much english in many countries on continental Europe.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Just because they didn't speak English it doesn't make them dumb or uneducated. Being able to speak English doesn't make one smarter or more educated.

Come on Ryu.

Morten

Liverpool has always been my club in England, though i havent really been a supporter, i just always wished them well. It will be interesting to see how they do now.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Just because they didn't speak English it doesn't make them dumb or uneducated. Being able to speak English doesn't make one smarter or more educated.

Come on Ryu.

Oh my, you guys are so PC. :p Being able to speak more than your mother language definitely counts towards as how educated a person is perceived by others, I'm pretty sure about that. But anyways, let's stop this, way too off-topic anyhow.

raskolnikov

In my job I have a lot of contact with Germans, the younger ones are pretty good at speaking English in general while older generations barely speak it and clearly prefer German bar the few exceptions.
Its rgeat for my German though so I don't mind:p

Jair Ventura

Oh my, you guys are so PC. :p Being able to speak more than your mother language definitely counts towards as how educated a person is perceived by others, I'm pretty sure about that. But anyways, let's stop this, way too off-topic anyhow.

There are many people with little to no formal education at all that speak multiple languages out of necessity.

Home of Barca Fans