Chelsea

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Last season, Cahill and Terry was one of if not the best CB pairing in Europe, they were both rock solid and were great even after considering the midfield cover, Filipe Luis is probably the best defensive left-back in the world (and one of the best in general), Azpilicueta is second only to Lahm and is still really young, Ivanovic is a rock-solid option off the bench that can play at both RB and CB fairly well, and Zouma is a good prospect as well. In addition, they have Courtois, who is one of the best if not the best young GK in the world (I'd rate De Gea higher and Ter Stegen a bit lower, but that's subjective), and Cech, who although not the beast he was before is still a great back-up. In front of the defense they'll have Matic, one of the top holding midfielders in the world, and players like Oscar, Ramires, Willian and Diego Costa, who will all be more than willing to put in a shift. The sheer quality of the players combined with how good Mourinho is at getting his teams to defend makes me think Chelsea will be nigh impenetrable next season.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Wasn't really expecting a title win last season, just a good challenge, but this season I'll be very disappointed if we don't win. Hopefully we sign a midfielder for the first team sooner rather than later so we can just concentrate on pre-season and everything after, not have some stupid long protracted transfer saga like we usually do.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I still think Mourinho is much more fallible than he was in his first stint with you. Madrid broke him.

But for me yes you start as huge favourites to win the league imo. Defence is strongest in england. Two top top class DM's in Ramires and Matic too as well.

For me you lack a midfielder with a bit of guile.

zanela

Oriol Romeu has signed a 3 year contract extension. Also played in their recent pre-season friendly. I wonder if he will be put on shop, or he features in Mou's plans. Really had high hopes for the lad. Too bad with the injuries. I realise I don't bring much luck to players I like or those I wish to do well. :(

Jenks

Looks like McEachran will be loaned to a Segunda División club. When will he realise that a Chelsea career is never going to happen for him...

Galning

Looks like McEachran will be loaned to a Segunda División club. When will he realise that a Chelsea career is never going to happen for him...

Or every young player for that matter. Money talks I guess. I don't understand how young players like Zouma, Debruyne, Lukaku, etc. all signed for them. Especially now that Mourinho is in charge you just know that there's a 0.5% chance that you'll get some playing time.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well McEachran is from our youth academy, it's different for him. But it's more and more looking like he just doesn't have what it takes. If he did he would have lit up the Championship last season.

Trickykid

Well McEachran is from our youth academy, it's different for him. But it's more and more looking like he just doesn't have what it takes.
Of course he doesn't. He's from your youth academy after all.

Now that I think about it, has anyone from your academy in the last 15ish years made it to the starting XI, except for Terry?

...and no, Bertrand doesn't really count :lol:

Last edited:

Jenks

Well McEachran is from our youth academy, it's different for him. But it's more and more looking like he just doesn't have what it takes. If he did he would have lit up the Championship last season.

Barkley was very average in the Championship too. It's a hoofball league and poor for development really. McEachran stagnated there and Chalobah is heading in the same direction. I believe were McEachran at a different club he'd be well ahead of where he is now. Players simply don't peak at 17.

Jenks

Of course he doesn't. He's from your youth academy after all.

Now that I think about it, has anyone from your academy in the last 15ish years made it to the starting XI, except for Terry?

...and no, Bertrand doesn't really count :lol:

That is more to do with the clubs attitude towards taking risks with young players than anything else, because they do have an excellent academy.

Home of Barca Fans