France

In the past weeks Ribéry has been doing what was last done by Zidane; effectively carrying the team to victory.
Perhaps France has found its leader. Will be interesting to see how long his superb form lasts.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
In the past weeks Ribéry has been doing what was last done by Zidane; effectively carrying the team to victory.
Perhaps France has found its leader. Will be interesting to see how long his superb form lasts.

Exactly. He was involved in 5 of the 6 goals scored against Australia, like 4 assists or something; today he had one goal and one assist. He has been in the beast mode for the French NT. This is what I am afraid of.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Exactly. He was involved in 5 of the 6 goals scored against Australia, like 4 assists or something; today he had one goal and one assist. He has been in the beast mode for the French NT. This is what I am afraid of.

You mean because of the BD? Frankly I think he was too inconsistent this year, he has turned it on in the last few games (I don't consider friendlies though), but before that, he was nowhere near his best.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You mean because of the BD? Frankly I think he was too inconsistent this year, he has turned it on in the last few games (I don't consider friendlies though), but before that, he was nowhere near his best.

Yes, I have been mornitoring Ribery's progress very closely lately, I have to say I am getting quite nervous. He has already been named the UEFA Best Player; the hype that carries with Bayern's treble-winning season is tremendous; and the only thing he was lacking was eye-catching NT performance which he was able to deliver lately.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Yes, I have been mornitoring Ribery's progress very closely lately, I have to say I am getting quite nervous. He has already been named the UEFA Best Player; the hype that carries with Bayern's treble-winning season is tremendous; and the only thing he was lacking was eye-catching NT performance which he was able to deliver lately.
I know what you mean, but if it is of any help, Snejder won the treble in 2010, reached the world cup final with his NT and lost to Messi. And Iniesta did all the things you mentioned for Spain and Barca last year and lost to Messi and finished even behind Ronaldo, despite getting the UFA best player award. I think it would take Ribery, and any player really, more to beat Messi, simply because of sheer incredible number of votes he gets - perhaps if France had qualified directly and banished Spain to the play-offs, that would have been something. A few great performance games aren't really enough. Also, if you look at the numbers, the Messi adoration among the voters is so big that he doesn't really rely on Ribery performing badly; same goes for his ace performances when fit.
Edit: I actually think Neymar has a good chance of getting a good spot in the shortlist; he was 13th last year and now won the Confederations Cup beating Spain and has performed greatly for Barca. He probably won't make it to the final three, but I suspect a Top 10 placement.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I know what you mean, but if it is of any help, Snejder won the treble in 2010, reached the world cup final with his NT and lost to Messi. And Iniesta did all the things you mentioned for Spain and Barca last year and lost to Messi and finished even behind Ronaldo, despite getting the UFA best player award. I think it would take Ribery, and any player really, more to beat Messi, simply because of sheer incredible number of votes he gets - perhaps if France had qualified directly and banished Spain to the play-offs, that would have been something. A few great performance games aren't really enough. Also, if you look at the numbers, the Messi adoration among the voters is so big that he doesn't really rely on Ribery performing badly; same goes for his ace performances when fit.
Edit: I actually think Neymar has a good chance of getting a good spot in the shortlist; he was 13th last year and now won the Confederations Cup beating Spain and has performed greatly for Barca. He probably won't make it to the final three, but I suspect a Top 10 placement.

Thanks Suckabov, that did make me feel better. However, just to play devil's advocate, one can argue that FIFA might be pressured not to repeat the 2010 experience where Messi was favored over Sneijder (so many people were calling it unfair and saying Messi won it undeservedly) by implicitly suggesting to its voting constituents; and the fact that Messi won over Iniesta last year was because Messi took bigger credit for Barca's overall performance (even though we failed to reach the CL final) than Iniesta.

I guess I will just have to keep biting my fingernails until January. :barca scarf:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Would be hilarious if Ronaldo didn't sneak out of voting this time and picked Ribery as his first choice, just to prevent Messi from winning it. :lol:

Last edited:
France finally has a pretty objective starting line up Lloris -Debuchy Varane Sakho Evra- -Cabaye Matuidi Pogba- -Valbuena benzema/ Giroud Ribéry
thats 433
442 drops Cabaye or Pogba

central defense and midfield have great potential.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
France finally has a pretty objective starting line up Lloris -Debuchy Varane Sakho Evra- -Cabaye Matuidi Pogba- -Valbuena benzema/ Giroud Ribéry
thats 433
442 drops Cabaye or Pogba

central defense and midfield have great potential.

They'd be better placed if they had somebody better than Matuidi. Also not a fan of Deschamps as a coach.

Glad they made it though

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
They'd be better placed if they had somebody better than Matuidi. Also not a fan of Deschamps as a coach.

Glad they made it though

They should call up Morgan Schneiderlin. Seriously. He has been the best performing DM in the premier league this season.

Home of Barca Fans