User Tag List

Thread: UEFA Nations League

Culé de Celestial Empire
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UEFA Nations League

Last edited by Luftstalag14; 24th January 2018 at 05:31 PM.
    Sóc Culer.

Villarato!
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I really like this. Very revolutionary on paper and I hope nations get behind this to make it work. In its current format it works superb. We're getting loads of meaningful great games in League A and teams in League D get to compete at their level while retaining a chance at playoffs.

I wonder which nation is going to be the first to be a dick and realise that you're better off getting relegated to League C or D I hope they don't exploit this though, good quality games are most welcome.

Any word on if teams will still play friendlies with nations outside of Europe in between all of these fixtures?
    People are boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spain, England, Croatia

W O o O W... can't wait

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's innovative, but still poorly explained in many countries. A lot of confusion, even some believe that League D winners automatically get qualifying spots for Euro 2020.

You're welcome
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand: These are just glorified friendlies right?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Origami View Post
    From what I understand: These are just glorified friendlies right?
    Hmm, not really. UEFA Nations League give 4 direct qualifying spots for UEFA Euro 2020 tournament. The other 20 spots are decided by the regular Qualifying campaigns. That means Netherlands might opt-out to finish last in their qualifying group and win the Nations League playoff match.

On the other hand this new tournament is bad for clubs, because international players will have to play to their maximum for both club and country.
    Last edited by Windhook; 25th January 2018 at 04:20 PM.

You're welcome
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windhook View Post
    On the other hand this new tournament is bad for clubs, because international players will have to play to their maximum for both club and country.
    I was thinking about this honestly. The argument was that players wouldn't play more because it would replace friendlies, but it all depends on how serious countries and players will take this league.

Killahead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nations competitions will have better qualities if the numbers of Club matches is reduced. Top European leagues have to reduce their first division teams to 18 and their cup tournaments into single-match knock-out format in order to make more space for the Nation's competitions and for the players to have more time to rest and recover.
    There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windhook View Post
    It's innovative, but still poorly explained in many countries. A lot of confusion, even some believe that League D winners automatically get qualifying spots for Euro 2020.
    That's what I thought it meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    The nations competitions will have better qualities if the numbers of Club matches is reduced. Top European leagues have to reduce their first division teams to 18 and their cup tournaments into single-match knock-out format in order to make more space for the Nation's competitions and for the players to have more time to rest and recover.
    Teams don't make money from International games from my understanding. Why would they do that?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Or better, reduce NT games

President of FC Barcelona

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the incentive for teams to care about this?

Villarato!
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    So what's the incentive for teams to care about this?
    Depends which teams. Low seeded teams like Armenia, Georgia et al will have a better chance of qualifying since they'll be playing teams at their level. Top seeds will get to test themselves against exclusively other top seeds drawing more money from fan attendance, TV and they get a shiny trophy out of it and some prize money. And a Euro playoff spot if not qualified from their group.

Don't really see immediate profit for those mid-tier teams i.e. Denmark, Sweden etc, but same logic applies. And I actually think those mid-tier teams will care most about playoff spots earned from this, because top teams will be more likely to try harder to grind their points out in their respective groups rather than win Nations League playoffs.
    People are boring.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely prefer this to random friendlies. Coming from small nation, i also think that fighting against beatable opponents and actually having a real chance of qualifying to Euros is more fun.