Catalonia

impeh

Hi, its me..
As Catalonia votes in an election that could lead to a referendum on independence from Spain, Sid Lowe looks at one of the region's great cultural sporting icons, FC Barcelona, and its role in Catalan identity.

AURELIUS

Thus endeth the postulated dominance of Spain on the international scene. Would be nice if the Basques could also gain independence from Spain and France. They'd not only be a handy football team but a pretty decent rugby side as well.

Cristofol

The upcoming referendum makes me think, if Catalonia were granted a status as an official team with UEFA and FIFA, would our lads who have caps for Spain still be eligible to play for us :eusa_think:

AURELIUS

The upcoming referendum makes me think, if Catalonia were granted a status as an official team with UEFA and FIFA, would our lads who have caps for Spain still be eligible to play for us :eusa_think:

I would think so. When Germany was unified players like Thomas Doll who played for the DDR ended up playing for the German national side. In a case more akin to Catalonia attaining full independence than as with Serbia-Montenegro players had a choice who they would play for.

So I am sure FIFA would allow players like Busquets to play for Catalonia rather than Spain or what is left of it.

Cristofol

I would think so. When Germany was unified players like Thomas Doll who played for the DDR ended up playing for the German national side. In a case more akin to Catalonia attaining full independence than as with Serbia-Montenegro players had a choice who they would play for.

So I am sure FIFA would allow players like Busquets to play for Catalonia rather than Spain or what is left of it.

That's what I would of thought but after the Catalan national rugby team was rejected an official status despite the fact we were before and despite the fact we are one of the founders of the FIRA, I no longer wish to underestimate just how much people are happy to fuck us over, excuse my French :chuckle:

AURELIUS

That's what I would of thought but after the Catalan national rugby team was rejected an official status despite the fact we were before and despite the fact we are one of the founders of the FIRA, I no longer wish to underestimate just how much people are happy to fuck us over, excuse my French :chuckle:

I think the IRB would not give Catalonia a rugby side until they have acheived independence. The same way as the Basques would love to have their own national sides drawing players from both sides of the French-Spanish border. They would be pretty competitive.

It would be nice to see a Catalonian rugby side which as you say has a long history in the region as part of the French set up FIRA in the thirties. Perpignan have links with Barcelona in developing juniors and the sport is growing in Catalonia and further down the coast.

The current national side is doing well although I am not sure how many Catalans are in it. Cesar Sempere is Valencian for instance.

Cristofol

I think the IRB would not give Catalonia a rugby side until they have acheived independence. The same way as the Basques would love to have their own national sides drawing players from both sides of the French-Spanish border. They would be pretty competitive.

It would be nice to see a Catalonian rugby side which as you say has a long history in the region as part of the French set up FIRA in the thirties. Perpignan have links with Barcelona in developing juniors and the sport is growing in Catalonia and further down the coast.

The current national side is doing well although I am not sure how many Catalans are in it. Cesar Sempere is Valencian for instance.
It just sucks, if it wasn't for the mook Franco we still would have an official team, if it was allowed before it should be now but the decision to reject the appeal was in the hands of the French so what do you expect? :lol:

barcanuck

Oh this game is in a few days. Was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms. I just hope those Nigerians don't foul us too hard!

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
U18 team

A_PMUj7CAAI3Ube.jpg:large

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Álex Cobo, Jhonattan Vinasco, Maximiliano A. Rosales, Xavier Quintilla, Óscar Torre, Simon Colina, Adama Traore, José M. Fernández, Sekou Gassama, Enric Sánchez, Carles Soria, Pau López, Elonor Godswill, Iván Salvador, Eric Garcia

Home of Barca Fans