Brazil

Jenks

I only ask because when it was originally suggested, a lot of people said one good season wasn't enough for a Brazil call up.

Truthist

Coutinho, Diego Alves, Filipe Luis, Mirandha and Lucas Moura deserve to be there IMO. I even would have taken Rafael or Danilo with an eye for the future BUT Scolari doesn't pick players on merit. No wonder Costa chose Spain.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BrazilFan

Brazil don't pick players based on merit. Merit only gets you called up. They pick based on national team performance. I want people who play well for Brazil. Lucas Moura hasn't played well for Brazil, Paulinho has, Bernard has. Some players can't translate club form to the international stage and some can. Brazil spots are competitive.

Miranda deserve to be there though but he wouldn't play as 4th choice. Maxwell just performed better than Filipe when called. up neither is playing ahead of Marcelo though as he's a beast for us.

Coutinho wasn't called b/c of time constraints and misfortune. He got injured when Scolari was considering him.

F

Flavia

Brazil don't pick players based on merit. Merit only gets you called up. They pick based on national team performance. I want people who play well for Brazil. Lucas Moura hasn't played well for Brazil, Paulinho has, Bernard has. Some players can't translate club form to the international stage and some can. Brazil spots are competitive.

Miranda deserve to be there though but he wouldn't play as 4th choice. Maxwell just performed better than Filipe when called. up neither is playing ahead of Marcelo though as he's a beast for us.

Coutinho wasn't called b/c of time constraints and misfortune. He got injured when Scolari was considering him.

Still, felipão has plenty of bad choices, as not securing diego costa. I mean, Jo? He's not worthy of being there. And Fred can get injured easily.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Maybe he did that because Fred was already there and knew the tactics etc. but yeah that was dumb.

BrazilFan

Still, felipão has plenty of bad choices, as not securing diego costa. I mean, Jo? He's not worthy of being there. And Fred can get injured easily.

Jo definitely suck but the CF pool is dire right now. Pato and Damiao are not any better. As for Costa, the only chance we had to secure Costa was the Confederations cup and he wasn't the beast he is now back then. Does Scolari take some blame? Sure, maybe he should of made Costa feel wanted but I can't blame him entirely though, cause Costa has played for Brazil and both times was under Scolari. (We also got to remember Scolari is the same guy that left Romario off the 2002 World Cup :lol: so he's a little crazy) FIFA should take some blame as well as there rules are BS. Fernando played u-20 never called up once for Brazil at senor level, wants to play for Portugal and is denied.

Truthist

Lucas hasn't played well fir Brazil because he's hardly been given a chance from the outset. Fleeting appearances from the substitutes bench for the last 15 minutes holding onto a lead isn't a proper chance. It was evident Scolari never fancied him which is a shame because Moura is a potential game changer which Brazil clearly lack in their squad.

As for Bernard, I'm a big fan but please, he's done very little of note either.
Scolari very clearly has his favourites and if your face doesn't fit he's too stubborn to even consider you.

Truthist

Surely, club form should mean something or perhaps it doesn't with Scolari. His hypocrisy is quite comical really. About 8 months ago he told Moura to get into a PSG side to stand any chance of making the WC squad yet had no problems with Cesar having a 6 month vacation or players like Ramires and Paulinho stinking the EPL out.

BrazilFan

Lucas hasn't played well fir Brazil because he's hardly been given a chance from the outset. Fleeting appearances from the substitutes bench for the last 15 minutes holding onto a lead isn't a proper chance. It was evident Scolari never fancied him which is a shame because Moura is a potential game changer which Brazil clearly lack in their squad.

As for Bernard, I'm a big fan but please, he's done very little of note either.
Scolari very clearly has his favourites and if your face doesn't fit he's too stubborn to even consider you.

Lucas Moura has had 2 different coaches in Mano Menezes and Scolari and both have opted to leave him on the bench in favor of Hulk. Bernard and Willian has also gotten sub mins and did more than Lucas. Don't get me wrong I like Moura but he is still very raw.

Scolari does have his favorite like Henrique but at the same time he didn't have a full four year cycle to work with players. It was essentially the confederation cup. So, 14 or 15 of those players were already a guarantee for Brazil and friendlies just added a few pieces. Also, you can't build a team based on talent, you got to have a few players that are there purely for tactical reasons

Surely, club form should mean something or perhaps it doesn't with Scolari. His hypocrisy is quite comical really. About 8 months ago he told Moura to get into a PSG side to stand any chance of making the WC squad yet had no problems with Cesar having a 6 month vacation or players like Ramires and Paulinho stinking the EPL out.

We have seen and this happens a lot that a player can perform excellently at club level but not for the national team and visa versa. My theory on this is that club form gets you called up for international duty but it should have no merit on you staying on the team if you can't replicate those same performances for the national team. Paulinho was bad for Spurs but he hasn't when he played for Brazil. Why should Scolari drop him because he was bad for Spurs if he didn't replicate that same form for Brazil? If he does replicate his Spurs form, I trust Scolari to make a change.

To be honest, I hated that Scolari guaranteed Cesar a spot before all the other players b/c he was more than happy sitting on the QPR bench collecting a check. In fact, it took him a call from Scolari to go get playing time, it didn't matter where, hence the MLS move :facepalm:.

Truthist

Fair points but don't you think Cesar's lack of playing time at a high level could prove costly. If I remember correctly he was at fault for one of the goals when Brazil got knocked out in the last WC. His best days are behind him.

Again I can't fathom how Diego Alves never got a chance. Sorry, there have been too many inconsistencies in the selection and I'm worried the weaknesses will get exposed at some point.

BrazilFan

Fair points but don't you think Cesar's lack of playing time at a high level could prove costly. If I remember correctly he was at fault for one of the goals when Brazil got knocked out in the last WC. His best days are behind him.

Again I can't fathom how Diego Alves never got a chance. Sorry, there have been too many inconsistencies in the selection and I'm worried the weaknesses will get exposed at some point.

Yes, it could be costly but I just hope he is at least at his Confederation Cup level. I also agree, I don't understand how Diego Alves has been snub all these years not even used as a sub option.

IMO, the possible area's Scolari selections can hurt us is if we have a 94 situation again and we have to use or 3rd and 4th string defenders (No Miranda) and the selection of JO and both depends on how the World Cup is shaping up.

Brazil 2 biggest problem right now is the team has trouble transitioning from defense to attack that's not something the players Scolari snubbed can fix. The players that can potentially help with that situation are on the bench and the second problem is that a bulk of the creativity comes from the left side. Marcelo and Neymar are Brazil creative outlet.

Truthist

Talking about '94 hopefully Oscar's form or lack of isn't reminiscent of Rai. I'm not sure Hernanes is quite at the required level. Thankyou Scolari, no Coutinho either.

Truthist

I do think Marcelo is no longer as good as you are making him out to be either. In '10 I was convinced he was the best left back in the world. Now he looks sluggish to me, he has a hard time against any quick winger. Dos Santos will cause him all kinds of problems ala Confederations cup and that's before we mention the red mist that plagues him. And who do we have in reserve? The world beating Maxwell who is clearly on his last legs.

The less we speak about the right hand side the better, it has the hallmarks of a disaster waiting to happen.

BrazilFan

I do think Marcelo is no longer as good as you are making him out to be either. In '10 I was convinced he was the best left back in the world. Now he looks sluggish to me, he has a hard time against any quick winger. Dos Santos will cause him all kinds of problems ala Confederations cup and that's before we mention the red mist that plagues him. And who do we have in reserve? The world beating Maxwell who is clearly on his last legs.

The less we speak about the right hand side the better, it has the hallmarks of a disaster waiting to happen.

Marcelo looked good to me in the CL final. He was never strong defensively. Also, he generally has good chemistry with Neymar. We don't have another LB that can bring what Marcelo brings offensively. Maxwell ain't going to play unless Marcelo is injured but Maxwell isn't all that bad when he's played.

The right side is a disaster but I'm actually content with Hulk lately b/c I seen improvement from him lately and he is there for tactical reasons. He helps maintain balance. Daniel Alves on the other hand needs to be bench. He generally awful for us. Maicon is lesser of the two evils. The RB pool ain't that good right now. Rafael has a long way to go. The Olympic final left a bad taste in a lot of people mouth.

Talking about '94 hopefully Oscar's form or lack of isn't reminiscent of Rai. I'm not sure Hernanes is quite at the required level. Thankyou Scolari, no Coutinho either.

Oscar is a cause for concern. He has to show up. He need to play at a much higher level. He needs to be the player I saw at the Olympics. He will start on Thursday I believe but if he continues to be poor. Willian is favor to take his spot as apparently he been one of the best players in training. Hernanes is the only creative central midfielder we have. He is Brazil Xavi nowhere as good though but we just ain't producing talent in that area of the pitch. Fernandinho as well is comfortable in possession as well.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans