England

West Saxon

A decent performance and good victory for us tonight. Still need to be more creative in attack (having Wilshere and / or Lallana fit will help with that), but we are finally retaining the ball well. Encouraging signs.

Jenks

This is probably the worst Netherlands side in living memory though. Looking "decent" against them doesn't say very much.

West Saxon

True, they are bad; and we've had these false dawns before, where we've played well in friendlies and then disappointed when it really matters.

But despite how bad Holland are, we looked good on the ball, and the defenders (I am very impressed with Maguire in particular) looked comfortable in passing their way out of trouble. In the recent past, we've looked uncomfortable in possession against worse teams than this Dutch one, and everyone complained about how we just used to boot it downfield. So I'm encouraged that we looked constructive and calm on the ball tonight; it's something we've been crying out for for as long as I can remember.

If we can keep it going, then we will be moving in the right direction.

xXKonan

Read that Joe Hart won't make the WC squad for England.

Not all to surprising considering how much he declined and how erratic his performances have been in Italy and for West Ham.

West Saxon

Read that Joe Hart won't make the WC squad for England.

Not all to surprising considering how much he declined and how erratic his performances have been in Italy and for West Ham.
Has to be Pope in goal, he's by far our best 'keeper.

Really disappointed with the midfield selections. We have absolutely no creativity in midfield. We needed Wilshere and Lallana. Our best hope now is to sit deep and counterattack by playing the ball over the top for Vardy.

West Saxon

Pope has horrible distribution. I would be very surprised if he wasn't third choice.
I'm not too worried by that as I don't think the way we're likely to play really needs a brilliant passer in goal (not that Butland or Pickford have particularly good distribution themselves). The most important thing is to get the best at keeping the ball out of the net, and I think that's Pope by some distance.

Morten

England is weird, not even their fans really rate them, but they will still have a complete meltdown when they get knocked out.

Jenks

Yeah, it will depend on the manner of the exit. It's one thing to go out in the knock-out rounds, but it's another to do it while looking completely clueless against a team like Iceland. I think if the team plays without fear, puts in some decent performances but ultimately goes out because of youthful naivety or something then the fans won't be too harsh on them.

El Gato

Villarato!
[tw]1008439057834172416[/tw]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b7jcqv/managing-england-the-impossible-job

I thoroughly recommend watching this for some perspective on the England coaching job. Should be able to access the iPlayer if you know your ways around VPNs, if not it'll probably be available on YouTube somewhat soon.

For all the flaws and the usual hype surrounding their team throughout the years, the cockyness of English fans whenever they get a little bit of success.. I think Southgate's team will surprise many at this World Cup. If the bracket is kind, they can even make it to semis IMO

Home of Barca Fans