Argentina

Hardy

Tagliafico is slow and trash on offense, shouldn't play, even Acuna matata is better than him in that spot

Rojo should play as central because Nigeria is dangerous on counter attack.

Then i don't know, it's a must win game and as much he's dumb i think Di Maria should play, maybe with Pavon on the other wing.

Faceless

No more faces at night
Tbh, I don't see Argentina winning either way unless :messi: saves the day again. But the management drama we've been hearing has probably reached the boiling point already.

I'm hoping I'm proven wrong.

Givenchy

if Sampaoli stays i don't see them beating Nigeria. some drastic decision in the management could give them a kick up the ass.

Morten

They will probably qualify now, even though they hardly deserve it, but there is something wrong with this team, down on the mental level.
After this world cup, i think it would be for the best to part with most of the older players and start fresh, even if that includes Messi. Ofc, will probably not happen as most of the players wont just retire.
I just think there is a toxic atmosphere surrounding the current squad.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It is ironic how people praised Sampaoli with Chile and wished he take over Argentina and now call him retard.

I think he is just way over his head as most managers would be with this toxic team.

FinBarcelonafan

Any links ?

Cholo would be my first pick to take over this NT. That's if he wants to get involved with that mess called the AFA.

Cholo has a great team in his hands with Atletico. No way he leaves now(especially for AFA, which is a huge mess..). I think Atletico will win CL or LaLiga next season. They are hungry..

blaugrana1987

There is still a chance but I expect Croatia to play B team, they have nothing at all to play for and Iceland will beat them maybe even by 2 goals and we will beat Nigeria by 3? No chance

We might not even beat Nigeria we are so bad
Croatia will go for win against Iceland. We never calculate, its not in our nature.

FinBarcelonafan

There is still a chance but I expect Croatia to play B team, they have nothing at all to play for and Iceland will beat them maybe even by 2 goals and we will beat Nigeria by 3? No chance

We might not even beat Nigeria we are so bad

Iceland is no world beater and they have to attack and risk. Croatia's B-team will give them challenge, because they are playing in WC and it's about pride and they play for their next contract/team.

I'm not too worried about Croatia not showing up.

FinBarcelonafan

They will probably qualify now, even though they hardly deserve it, but there is something wrong with this team, down on the mental level.
After this world cup, i think it would be for the best to part with most of the older players and start fresh, even if that includes Messi. Ofc, will probably not happen as most of the players wont just retire.
I just think there is a toxic atmosphere surrounding the current squad.

I don't agree with you often, but this time? Yes. Messi looks like he is there to lose, not to win. Mentality of this team is fucked up. Let the younger guys take over, Dybala, Icardi and so on.. Let the new generation take over. This team is done. Too many wounded players(for good..).

Hektor

Late Breaking News!

There was a rebellion of the players against Sampaoli. Some wanted Sampaoli Fired. However, after a meeting between the players, Sampaoli, and the AFA President, Tapia, Sampaoli will continue through the WC. After that, his tenure is highly improbable. In the meeting, it was agreed to make major formation changes. Armani, Lo Celso, Pavon, Dybala, Higuain are probable in. All the parties have agreed to give their all, united, against Nigeria and after, if there is an after. Probably the formation will be:

Armani; Tagliafico, Fazio, Otamendi, Ansaldi; Lo Celso, Mascherano, Dybala; Pavon, Messi, Higuain.

Why Higuain? Dybala and Higuain have a partnership in Juventus. In addition, this is the WC where ~50% of the goals come from set plays. Higuain is the only forward with enough height. Sampaoli left Lautaro Martinez out of the 23. Higuain is also a worker bee!

Everyone says Messi and Dybala have to form a partnership. Why? What we need is for Messi to have a partnership with some players and Dybala with others. They do not have to talk to each other. If you collapse the defenses around Messi, Dybala will be left open or vice versa. Messi or Dybala have to get the ball first in order to create the plays.

This the formation we should have from the beginning. We now have two or three days to form a team. Nevertheless, hope springs eternal!

Hektor

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
This is how i would like them to set up against Nigeria.
Armani
Mercado Otamendi Mascherano Rojo
Banega Lo Celso
Dybala Messi Di Maria
Higuain​

Main reason for picking the players at the back and middle is their maturity and passing ability. Speed is an issue, but they don't really have a lot of fast players in these positions anyway. I think it is better to put Masch at the back to keep both the keeper and Otamendi calm and to help kick start the build up play, this might also give him some cover with respect to his lack of speed. Mercado and Rojo are both more experienced than the alternatives and are better passers of the ball. They might not contribute much to the offence but i think it will be fine depending on the players ahead of them.

Initially I thought it might be better to have Pavon and Di Maria on both wings, but I expect Nigeria to also try to cut Messi of the ball so perhaps starting with Dybala on the right would be more productive. Mercado will have to be given special instructions to be more restrained in his attack. As much as I hate to say, I think if Dybala starts then it is better to start with Higuain up top since they have more chemistry. He can hold the ball better, provide more threat on corners, set pieces and help defend against them.

In short, Nigeria will try to maximize their superior speed and lock Messi up, so to counter this a balance of experience, passing ability, more creative and fire power up-front is called for.

Morten

Regardless of how they are performing at the NT level, why is Argentina amazing at devoloping attackers, yet so rubbish at creating world class CMs and defenders?
Is it that every youngster in their country aspire to be the next Aguero, Higuain or Di Maria, or to push it even one step further, the next Messi? Does no one care about being a world class CM anymore?

Hektor

Regardless of how they are performing at the NT level, why is Argentina amazing at devoloping attackers, yet so rubbish at creating world class CMs and defenders?
Is it that every youngster in their country aspire to be the next Aguero, Higuain or Di Maria, or to push it even one step further, the next Messi? Does no one care about being a world class CM anymore?

We are having a lot of problems developing Central Defenders. One explanation is that Argentina is the major Basketball power in the Americas, excepting the US, of course. Most of the talented tall players are opting for basketball. For example, Ginobili would have made a great CF. There are many Argentine players in the NBA and the European leagues. We have tall defenders in the Argentine League, but they are not world class. However, I do not understand why Garay, Mammana, or even Kranevitter were not included in this team. Funes Mori was hurt.

The architect of the Argentine debacle in the WC rests on the shoulders of Sampaoli. We thought we got a great coach, but we could not have been more wrong.

I have been saying this before the start of the WC. I have been calling for Lo Celso, Pavon, and Dybala. Meza instead of Dybala! What is Sampaoli on? I did not watch the Argentine games - I knew the outcome. I recorded and erased them.

Hektor

Hektor

This is how i would like them to set up against Nigeria.
Armani
Mercado Otamendi Mascherano Rojo
Banega Lo Celso
Dybala Messi Di Maria
Higuain​

Your formation is good except for two changes: Tagiiafico for Rojo and Pavon for Di Maria. I'm tired of Di Maria. He looks great until the final pass that goes no where. Why bother with the pretty run - a waste of time. The players that accompany Di Maria get tired for nothing. There are so many runs you can make in a game before you are utterly exhausted.

Hektor

Home of Barca Fans