Argentina

Hektor

Hi:

IMHO, we can expect anything from Argentina-2018 WC. I won't be surprised if we do not make it out of the group. On the other hand, I won't be surprised if we win it all (Why "We?" I'm Argentine and the NT is "my" team since I can remember.)

The major problem with Argentina is that they have not played together. Hell, they had a different team every time they played the elimination round games in South America. For example, Mexico is practicing right now, as we speak. They have been together as a team for years. The Argentin NT is not practicing as of yet. They will not have a month together before the start of the WC. Our first game is June 16th and Today is May 21st. You might say, they played together since the Brazil-2014 WC, when Argentina came in second. This is a completely different team. The 23 players for the 2014-WC were:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Monaco), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Agustin Orion (Boca Juniors).

Defenders: Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon), Jose Basanta (Monterrey), Hugo Campagnaro (Inter Milan).

Midfielders: Fernando Gago (Boca Juniors), Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo), Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter Milan), Enzo Perez (Benfica).

Forwards: Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan).

The 2018-WC roster announced today is:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Willy Caballero, Franco Armani

Defenders: Gabriel Mercado, Javier Mascherano, Nicolas Otamendi, Federico Fazio, Marcos Rojo, Nicolas Tagliafico, Marcos Acuna, Cristian Ansaldi

Midfielders: Manuel Lanzini, Maximiliano Meza, Lucas Biglia, Ever Banega, Giovani Lo Celso, Angel Di Maria, Cristian Pavon, Eduardo Salvio

Forwards: Paulo Dybala, Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain.

Very few players of the 2014 squad are in the 2018 one.

For example, the 1986-Mexico WC team that won the WC (the "Maradona" team,) practiced and played together for 70 days before the WC, in Mexico!!!

Let me put it this way:

2014 Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andujar, Agustin Orion.
2018 Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Hurt - out of WC,) Willy Caballero, Franco Armani, Nahuel Guzman (Replaced Romero)

2014 Defenders: Federico Fernandez, Ezequiel Garay, Martin Demichelis, Pablo Zabaleta, Marcos Rojo, Jose Basanta, Hugo Campagnaro.
2018 Defenders: Gabriel Mercado, Javier Mascherano, Nicolas Otamendi, Federico Fazio, Marcos Rojo, Nicolas Tagliafico, Marcos Acuna, Cristian Ansaldi

2014 Midfielders: Fernando Gago, Augusto Fernandez, Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria, Lucas Biglia, Maxi Rodriguez, Ricardo Alvarez, Enzo Perez.
2018 Midfielders: Manuel Lanzini, Maximiliano Meza, Lucas Biglia, Ever Banega, Giovani Lo Celso, Angel Di Maria, Cristian Pavon, Eduardo Salvio

2014 Forwards: Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Lionel Messi, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Rodrigo Palacio.
2018 Forwards: Paulo Dybala, Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain.

Hektor

Last edited:

FCBfan22

I think that as things stand now, Croatia will more likely lose against Iceland than Argentina. As JerseyAddict said there are huge motivational issues.
Another questionmark is Modrić. He is looking a way way worse player than he was last season.

This group will be chaos. I wouldn't rule out Messi bailing Argentina out in the last match of the group stages.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The goal for this Argentina is getting out of the group stage. This is as much expectations as I have from this Argentina. By the age and quality of the squad, plus the short time they had to work under Sampaoli I expect the worst results from them. Unless many chokers in this team suddenly start to deliver, which I don't expect at all. Dark days are ahead of us after Messi retires from the NT. Can't believe a country which used to deliver so many world class players are going to be among average NTs after Messi retires.

Hektor

The goal for this Argentina is getting out of the group stage. This is as much expectations as I have from this Argentina. By the age and quality of the squad, plus the short time they had to work under Sampaoli I expect the worst results from them. Unless many chokers in this team suddenly start to deliver, which I don't expect at all. Dark days are ahead of us after Messi retires from the NT. Can't believe a country which used to deliver so many world class players are going to be among average NTs after Messi retires.

I expect Messi to be in the 2022 WC. Unlike Mascherano, he has not stated that the 2018-WC is his last one. At 35, he won't be the same Messi of today. In other words, he will be an earthlink and not extra-terrestrial. In addition, Dybala and Icardi will be the main players in 2022, imho. Lautaro Martinez would have developed into a great forward by then.

Argentina has always produced world class players. In 2022 I expect another batch that we do not know today. For example, look at the succession of creative midfielders (10's) we have had through time:

Adolfo Pedernera, the original 10.
Alfredo Di Stefano
Omar Sivori
Antonio Angelillo
Ricardo Bochini
Diego Maradona
Leandro Romagnoli
Juan Roman Riquelme
Andres D'Alessandro
Lionel Messi
Paolo Dybala

The next 10 will not be a "Messi" or "Maradona", but it will be a good one. It takes a generation to produce a Di Stefano, Maradona, or Messi. We will also have a batch of very good players in the other positions, as well. Give it time.

I remember calling the LA Aztecs (not longer in existence) of the old MLS, in 1970, to complain that they did not have any Argentine players in their squad. Their VP, Public Relations, told me in no uncertain terms that Argentine Football was a thing of the past. OK. We won the WC in 1978 and 1986, came in second in 1990 and 2014 and Maradona and Messi were still to come. However, Argentine football in 1970 looked very bleek.

Hektor

Last edited:

MagIX

Yes maybe Messi in the WC 2022... and mayba FINALLY Simeone as coach. Or maybe with Simeone but without Messi... and they will win the WC!
I sincerely do not understand why Simeone has not yet become coach of Argentina...seeing the NT in these conditions, knowing that perhaps it is the last chance for Messi. I can't believe only because of ATM.

sickstar

Actually if you look at it, Argentina are at least the 2nd top team in WC 2014 and CA 2015, and though defeated by Chile in CA 2016, they met twice and won at normal time in group stage against Chile. When you look at the scores, it's 5-0, 4-0 .. in which Messi scored hattrick, higuain double etc. Apart from the penalty lost, argentina was above Chile overall in 2016.

Also they haven't lost a single 90 minute game and played max number of games possible during 2014-16. So all of those datas show that they performed far from bad in those three years. Just those missed sitters. I kinda remember one goal being disqualified from higuain during one of the final due to offside. Had he postponed 0.3s of his run or moving back 1 m, before going forward, it could be a major difference.

So yeah, I'm still against him going to Russia. Icardi and Pavon are a more interesting option atm. But decision is decision. Burn that fat, Higuain and get those chances done this time.

Edit:
Also agree on the limited time part. Argentina should play some additional friendlies in Russia climate before really playing the 1st game. If it's two month preparation and not one, it should be more realistic. Sampaoli has a huge homework in making them talk and communicate during the game.

Last edited:

Hektor

Now watch, during the first match of WC: Fatguain starting and Aguero benched.

...and Higuain misging two sitters that would have put the game away. I've seen this movie before...many times! I sincerely hope that he will make me an idiot, but I do not think so.

Hektor

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Apparently their 2nd GK Armani is very good too. Plays for River Plate. Last couple of times Argentina won the WC was with a River GK.

Home of Barca Fans