Argentina

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
This is how i would like them to set up against Nigeria.
Armani
Mercado Otamendi Mascherano Rojo
Banega Lo Celso
Dybala Messi Di Maria
Higuain​
Your formation is good except for two changes: Tagiiafico for Rojo and Pavon for Di Maria. I'm tired of Di Maria. He looks great until the final pass that goes no where. Why bother with the pretty run - a waste of time. The players that accompany Di Maria get tired for nothing. There are so many runs you can make in a game before you are utterly exhausted.

Hektor

I don't mind starting Pavon over Di Maria, I just think it might be better to start with experience more and bring him on in the second half to get another spark. I worry if they start with Pavon he might try to do too much in the beginning of the match. My reasoning with Rojo over Tagliafico is also similar. Moses is Nigeria's key player, it might be risky to start with both Pavon and Tagliafico on the left wing.

Last edited:

henias

Dybala needs to play. There's simply no way you can leave him on the bench without anyone else able to even have a shot at goal. Only him and Messi can create something and possibly Aguero to produce something in front of goal.

For Di Maria, I'm not sure. He is too inconsistent and his final pass or final shot is horrendous but I'll still give him one more go. If he doesnt work out then Pavon needs to come on EARLY.

Hektor

I don't mind starting Pavon over Di Maria, I just think it might be better to start with experience more and bring him on in the second half to get another spark. I worry if they start with Pavon he might try to do too much in the beginning of the match. My reasoning with Rojo over Tagliafico is also similar. Moses is Nigeria's key player, it might be risky to start with both Pavon and Tagliafico on the left wing.

Pavon is a better player than Di Maria, imho. If he gets too tired, as you say, then Di Maria is the logical substitution. You are right about the experience of Rojo. However, he has not played much this season for ManU due to injuries. Tagliafico is a better alternative and he is an excellent player. I like your formation, though.

Hektor

Hektor

Dybala needs to play. There's simply no way you can leave him on the bench without anyone else able to even have a shot at goal. Only him and Messi can create something and possibly Aguero to produce something in front of goal.

For Di Maria, I'm not sure. He is too inconsistent and his final pass or final shot is horrendous but I'll still give him one more go. If he doesnt work out then Pavon needs to come on EARLY.

We cannot afford to give Di Maria another go. This is it. There is no tomorrow. Furthermore, the Croatian coach, Dalic, has said that he plans to rest many starters against Iceland:

http://www.beinsports.com/en/2018-f...na-concerns-grow-as-dalic-vows-to-re-1/909019

We have to think that Iceland will beat Croatia. If Argentina wins over Nigeria, they will end up tied. Therefore, the goal differential is going to be the tie breaker. Argentina starts with -3 and Iceland with -2. Argentina has to beat Nigeria with a goal differential of +4, to make sure. It is not going to be easy if Iceland beats Croatia. We cannot gamble in any way, shape, or form. If we make it to elimination rounds, it is going to be a minor miracle, but it can be done. I will not watch the game. When Argentina plays, I'll be in church praying for Argentina for two hours, Then, I'll find out what happened.

Hektor

Hektor

One more thing.

Mascherano is a crucial player for Argentina. It does not matter where he plays, but he has to be there. Mascherano has always been he coach on the pitch whether he plays for Barça or Argentina. When his team scores and while the players are celebrating, Mascherano is, most of the time, talking to the coach, in the sidelines, getting instructions from the coach.

Mercado goes forward because Sampaoli wants him to. In one practice, Caballero kicked the ball out the area, jumping lines. Sampaoli told him "what are you doing? Always come out playing the ball." We saw the results! Therefore, Sampaoli does not know what he is doing. Players should follow the directions of Mascherano. If Sampaoli tells Mercado to bolt forward, for example, Mascherano should tell him to forget it. Just stay back, Nigeria is very fast.

I can't believe where we have arrived. Look, the AFA wanted Simeone, but he said no. Therefore, they went after Sampaoli, which was considered a fantastic coach. When he coached the Universidad de Chile, they won the Copa de Libertadores. Chile won the Americas Cup under Sampaoli. Argentina paid a fortune for him. He is making 2.5 million dollars per year and is signed through the 2022 WC. His rescision clause from the contract is 20 million dollars. We cannot blame the present AFA cupola. They brought a top coach, they improved the training facilities, because the players asked for it. They are traveling in a luxurious jet and the training facilities, in Russia, were improved. Argentina paid 2.5 million dollars for the improvements.

Hektor

Last edited:

Flavius

For one game I Want Dybala to lead the attacks and to serve Messi! We all know Messi is the most dangerous player in the last third. Please Sampaoli, have some balls, let Dybala lead the attacks, Messi on the wing, will have much more space there against Nigeria. They should risk it like this. We all know the outcome when Messi leads the attacks, 3/4 players pressuring him and the others fluke the chances if they get the ball in good positions. Not sure if it will work...just an opinion.

Donatello

Rojo over Tagliafico. Guy hasn't done anything, that should move him high up in pecking order. At least Rojo plays against quality attackers with Utd, plus he was a solid LB at last WC.

JerseyAddict

One thing about croatian B team. They are the ones that won 1:0 vs Mexico month ago. They are not to be underrated. And this won't be some "shit" B team. Expect Kovačić and co to play. Iceland needs a win. And Iceland is defending team. They are very beatable when they can't play 10 men in 20m. So I still think Croatia will win.

Hektor

One thing about croatian B team. They are the ones that won 1:0 vs Mexico month ago. They are not to be underrated. And this won't be some "shit" B team. Expect Kovačić and co to play. Iceland needs a win. And Iceland is defending team. They are very beatable when they can't play 10 men in 20m. So I still think Croatia will win.

Thank you for the good news. I needed it. :wave:

Home of Barca Fans