Argentina

F

Flavia

where is the squad list?
GKs: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria) e Mariano Andújar (Catania).

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Hugo Campagnaro (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Marcos Rojo (Sporting) and Federico Fernández (Napoli).

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Valencia), Ángel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Enzo Pérez (Benfica), Pablo Guiñazú (Internacional) and José Sosa (Metalist).

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuaín (Real Madrid), Rodrigo Palacio (Internazionale), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Ezequiel Lavezzi (PSG) and Hernán Barcos (Palmeiras).

King Leo

Banned
Possible 4-2-3-1 formation could be used in the game against Paraguay which would like this:

Romero; Zabaleta, Fernandez, Garay, Rojo; Biglia (or Gago if fit), Brana; Di Maria, Messi, Lavezzi; Higuain

zanela

One day Mascherano will not be around or may be injured so a deputy must step in. Cirigliano looks extremely promising.

Talking about finding Masch's deputy, atleast in the near term, what about Yacob? I remember you had him mentioned previously. He's finally got a move to Europe, and he's started off well at westbrom. May be he'll catch Sabella's attention if he continues to impress.

And Pazzella was my first choice to partner FF. That should be the future central defense. But Sabella seems quite adamant on making the Garay-FF work, May be he prefers Garay's aerial threat. And whilst i don't mind giving more time to the current pair, the lack of pace at CD worries me a li'l.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Coloccini has picked up a hamstring injury while training with Argentina apparently.

He's just not having any luck with his return to the national team. 2nd time in a month he's joined the NT and he's been injured both times unable to play.

I hope it's not too serious a hamstring injury.

DriniFCB

Since Messi has been Captain of Argentina , he's been scoring much more than before so I'm sure he'll score next international game.

M

mitkoa7x

Since Messi has been Captain of Argentina , he's been scoring much more than before so I'm sure he'll score next international game.

We should give him Puyi's armband and watch him score 100 goals.

M

mitkoa7x

Well that's not fair because Messi is 25 so it would be very disrespectul for club to give him Captain's Armband while Puyol or Xavi are playing.

I was just kidding, he wont get the armband in the near future.

ShandyFFM

saw the game against peru.. argentina has no plan B withouth messi.... they need to get more variety to give messi more space and let him play more up fromt..

coloccini and pastore.. i would love to see those two along with masch banega gago in midfield...

although i thinkg messi istn in good shape when you look at his last performences..... he scores but its not the same magic and dribbling skills

AURELIUS

saw the game against peru.. argentina has no plan B withouth messi.... they need to get more variety to give messi more space and let him play more up fromt..

coloccini and pastore.. i would love to see those two along with masch banega gago in midfield...

although i thinkg messi istn in good shape when you look at his last performences..... he scores but its not the same magic and dribbling skills

Sabella has made some positive changes to the team. He has managed to get Messi scoring and made his partnerships with Pipita, di Maria and Kun effective especially on the counter.

The team is harmonious. Midfield needs work. Pastore cannot be relied upon at present. Don't get me wrong I am a great fan of Flaco hence the avatar but he still refuses to play the simple ball at times and gives the ball away.

Sabella does not trust the defence. He maintains both fullbacks generally very deep and prefers the 2 defensive midfielders and di Maria to tuck in whenever possible. He's right at the moment. Having a headless chicken like Lavezzi doesn't help who barely does any work at all.

Messi did perform against Paraguay but was a bit listless against Peru but his work rate cannot be faulted and all the over reaction from his performances for Barcelona this season are just that. I think he is managing himself better than ever, pacing himself and deevloping his awareness of positional play in time to become an enganche.

However Sabella has made it clear to the other players unlike under the two previous idiots that the gameplan is not to just pass the ball to Leo and hope he creates something but to take the onus on their own shoulders.

And indeed use what Messi may find troublesome in being double even triple marked as an advantage to the team and use him as a decoy. And it has worked on several occasions recently where it has left other players in space.

Zanela I would have liked to see Yacob called as Masche's immediate replacement. Cirigliano and Canteros as more longer term sucessors.

Yacob is getting back to his form of 2010 when he was unlucky not to go to South Africa. Brana is past it now. Guinazu to give him his due performed well when called upon. He is experienced and reads the game well but by 2014 will his legs hold up ?

Cirigliano is more a box to box 5 more reminiscent of a Redondo though without the finesse, Yacob more a Masche type organizer and simple passer but slightly less rough and tough in the tackle.

As for defenders I would dearly love to see Garay dropped. Has nothing special about him or any potential. Fernandez has made interceptions and tackles and passed the ball well out of defence. Yes he is not the paciest and although he is great attacking the ball at set pieces he needs to learn from Ayala how to position himself for defensive corners.

I would look to Musacchio. I have no idea why he stayed with Villareal when Gonzalo for example left. He's wasting at least half a season in Segunda football. He'd be a smart acquisition for many a side in the Primera or Serie A. Reads the game superbly and tackles hard.

The other is Pezzella. Shaky debut where he did again display his almost strikers like knack of scoring. But he has the character of a leader and is very calm and assured and also a good passer of the ball. He and FF could well be the 2 & 6 that are needed.

But will Sabella as he should do with it being 2012 still experiment with the youth ? I hope so. Juan Manuel Martinez impressed again and why he was turned over in faviur of Barcos I have no idea. He may not be prolific but he makes things happen.

As for the fullbacks the younger ones have talent and pace as does the older Ansaldi. Something the flanks do need and need to in order to operate further forward and help open the pitch up for Messi and his friends.

In the coming months I hope to see Sabella bleed some of the younger ones into the team and overhaul that midfield gradually into a cohesive unit along with the defence.

Certain players also need to consider moves in January. FF, Damian Martinez, Musacchio and Tagliafico being some.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I'm not convinced Sabella is the right man for the job especially when the team needs to refind its identity more than tread water, but unlike the past few coaches he's definitely not the problem.

I would look to Musacchio. I have no idea why he stayed with Villareal when Gonzalo for example left. He's wasting at least half a season in Segunda football. He'd be a smart acquisition for many a side in the Primera or Serie A. Reads the game superbly and tackles hard.

Well it's quite simple - Villarreal wanted him, Gonzalo actually wanted to stay but he's not in the teams long term plans so they took whatever money they could get from him. He was brutal in their relegation season, he seems to have found his footing in Fiorentina but he's still not what he could have been without injuries.

Also not to be a homer but Roncaglia might be worth a look if he keeps it up. Technically there's better options right now but he's the kind of enforcer Argentina could use in the backline and can also play RB though he won't add much offense.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans