Argentina

AURELIUS

Yes if people want to discuss this handbags at dawn issue in the Politics forum do so there. Not here. Thanks. :)

No one said happy birthday to the badger either......

Jenks

I know the English like their ass get kicked by the Albiceleste every once a in a while but what would it take to see Messi take on England?

First England miraculously has to qualify 1st in group D, go on to beat Spain in quarter finals and assuming Argentina makes it to the semis, will get that epic match: Argentina vs England

Troll harder :lol:

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
This thread is not for discussing this issue but why the kerfuffle over the Crimea then ? Self determination for all. This is a bit of a hypocrisy on our part as a country with that idiot Hague running his mouth everywhere.

If politicians who inevitably start wars could get together around a table to convene an amicable agreement like adults it would be so much nicer. I still don't understand the upset considering Kirchner like Galtieri is trying to use the football team and this issue to try and distract people over her running of Argentina.

Most Argentines if you ask are not fooled. I would suggest this thread returns to discussing football than politics. How far are we going to go back in history ? So please everyone concerned stick to the seleccion and other matters relating to Argentine football please.

Self determination for all. Punto.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
I know the English like their ass get kicked by the Albiceleste every once a in a while but what would it take to see Messi take on England?

First England miraculously has to qualify 1st in group D, go on to beat Spain in quarter finals and assuming Argentina makes it to the semis, will get that epic match: Argentina vs England

853.gif

Paganinisrvnge

>People think Argentina won't dominate

They'll win their group, destroy Switzerland or Ecuador, then beat Belgium or Portugal in the quarters. After that, it depends on who they face in the semis. Their path doesn't really get hard until the semis unless they finish 2nd or Germany finish 2nd in their group(won't happen) and meet them in the quarters.

coura

Banned
It seems Sabella choose Gago to partner with Mascherano. I would play Enzo Perez. I hope Gago steps up to the task in hands.

The fab 4 ahead is great. Di Maria has become a wonderful player in his new role.
I hope that no injuries affect them. Their bench is not that great.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
This thread is not for discussing this issue but why the kerfuffle over the Crimea then ? Self determination for all. This is a bit of a hypocrisy on our part as a country with that idiot Hague running his mouth everywhere.

If politicians who inevitably start wars could get together around a table to convene an amicable agreement like adults it would be so much nicer. I still don't understand the upset considering Kirchner like Galtieri is trying to use the football team and this issue to try and distract people over her running of Argentina.

Most Argentines if you ask are not fooled. I would suggest this thread returns to discussing football than politics. How far are we going to go back in history ? So please everyone concerned stick to the seleccion and other matters relating to Argentine football please.

The English only care about self determination for English subjects they transfer to their colonies, just look at Northern Ireland.

And yes, the Malvinas talk is political nonsense, and yes, CFK uses football for politican gain, but this issue pops up all the time, even when the economy isn't imploding as it tends to once every decade, and it's a bipartisan issue.

Jenks

The English only care about self determination for English subjects they transfer to their colonies, just look at Northern Ireland.

If that were true then we (the British, not English) wouldn't have put in place mechanisms by which each constituent country could leave the Union. You do realise that Scotland is having a binding referendum on independence this year, right? Northern Ireland, which is a Catholic majority, could do that too if they wanted. It's not like Gibraltar is majority ethnic British either. And the Crimea situation is hardly comparable, because no one with more than two brain cells to rub together actually believes that that was a free and fair referendum. The Russians were kidnapping Muslims they knew would oppose it for crying out loud. It's also a bit disingenuous to try and boil this down to a self-determination issue anwyay, because whatever way you approach the issue, whether it be historical or legal or whatever the result is the same. The only irrefutable argument Argentina has is one of proximity, and as I've said, it would be like Britain trying to claim the Faroe Islands from Denmark, or the Dominican Republic trying to claim Puerto Rico from the USA. It's crazy.

King Leo

Banned
If that were true then we (the British, not English) wouldn't have put in place mechanisms by which each constituent country could leave the Union. You do realise that Scotland is having a binding referendum on independence this year, right? Northern Ireland, which is a Catholic majority, could do that too if they wanted. It's not like Gibraltar is majority ethnic British either. And the Crimea situation is hardly comparable, because no one with more than two brain cells to rub together actually believes that that was a free and fair referendum. The Russians were kidnapping Muslims they knew would oppose it for crying out loud. It's also a bit disingenuous to try and boil this down to a self-determination issue anwyay, because whatever way you approach the issue, whether it be historical or legal or whatever the result is the same. The only irrefutable argument Argentina has is one of proximity, and as I've said, it would be like Britain trying to claim the Faroe Islands from Denmark, or the Dominican Republic trying to claim Puerto Rico from the USA. It's crazy.

I tried in my posts to take us back to football and not get into pure politics but to each their opinion.

OK! I agree and disagree with you. Crimea is a pure Neo-imperialism act "a la Putin". If simply holding referendums dictates self-determination then the world map will constantly be changing with the mood swings of the voters (mostly for economic reasons).

Las Malvinas has a population of less than 3000, how hard is it for UK to change the demographics of that territory if they sensed the votes are going in Argentina's favour? One boat will do it! :cool:

Again UK is far away from Las malvinas and the only reason they are holding on to it is because of geo-political interests and nothing more. It's a military outpost. Argentinians are more likely to step foot into that island than any Brit would in their lifetime.

Speaking of neo-imperialism, Russia few years ago posted a flag under the north Canadian ice claiming those waters are now Russian. Who's vote will you take? The Polar bears or the polar seals?

Last edited:

Jenks

Las Malvinas has a population of less than 3000, how hard is it for UK to change the demographics of that territory if they sensed the votes are going in Argentina's favour?

Given that the Falkland Islands are self-governing and control their own immigration, probably impossible. Really the only thing Britain does is protect the Islanders from Argentina and maintain our military bases there. I'm not sure what your point is either way though, because the Islanders (along with their Gibraltarian cousins as I'm sure Poor_Sunyol can attest) are some of the most patriotic Britons you will find anywhere in the world, so it's not like Britain would ever need to do that if if we could.

Again UK is far away from Las malvinas and the only reason they are holding on to it is because of geo-political interests and nothing more. It's a military outpost.

It's not just a military outpost, it's the home of thousands of British people, some of them eleventh generation Islanders. The cultural ties the islands have to Britain date back to over a hundred years before Argentina even existed as a country, and are only getting stronger thanks to Argentina. The importance of the islands to Britain from a strategic point of view was negligible in 1982, which is why the Junta attacked. Britain didn't respond because the islands were particularly valuable, Britain responded because leaving the Islanders to the mercy of the Argentinians would have been political suicide over here.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

I tried in my posts to take us back to football and not get into pure politics but to each their opinion.

OK! I agree and disagree with you. Crimea is a pure Neo-imperialism act "a la Putin". If simply holding referendums dictates self-determination then the world map will constantly be changing with the mood swings of the voters (mostly for economic reasons).

Las Malvinas has a population of less than 3000, how hard is it for UK to change the demographics of that territory if they sensed the votes are going in Argentina's favour? One boat will do it! :cool:

Again UK is far away from Las malvinas and the only reason they are holding on to it is because of geo-political interests and nothing more. It's a military outpost. Argentinians are more likely to step foot into that island than any Brit would in their lifetime.

Speaking of neo-imperialism, Russia few years ago posted a flag under the north Canadian ice claiming those waters are now Russian. Who's vote will you take? The Polar bears or the polar seals?

I don't think you get it. Argentina has no claim to the islands.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
King Leo is making it sound as Argentina were totally justified in their invasion of the Islands in '82 causing the loss of nearly 1000 lives. Anyhoo...my original point was not about who's claim is the strongest over the Falklands, it was that I was under the impression that governments were not allowed to use their national football teams to make political points.

Home of Barca Fans