Argentina

Grimwig

Romero, Fernandez, Basanta, Rojo........ 0-0 with Romania, what the....
i fear for leo and argentina, as it seems increasingly obvious that sabella is largely incompetent. i hope it doesn't hinder them in their world cup, but i greatly suspect it will.

F

forcabarca

Lol ... that disallowed goal.

Salute Ref!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Rahj

sorry guys, the quality of my stream wasnt that good. to me, it looked like messi was pissed about di maria's poor first touch.

AURELIUS

Messi didn't not appear to be very pleased at the draw, it looked to me.

This Argentina side is so average. Messi alone can't carry them to victory.

:lol: This happened last year against Saudi Arabia. The players did not want to be there. There was minimal effort. However this same side has beaten Brazil, Germany and Spain in friendlies when they decide to up their game.

The sole question mark is about the keeper and a couple of the backline. People take one performance which is not representative of how the side have played in competitive matches and use it to wildly extrapolate to the World Cup.

Any side coming up against Messi,Aguero, di Maria and Higuain when it matters will have to defend extremely well not to concede.

AURELIUS

i fear for leo and argentina, as it seems increasingly obvious that sabella is largely incompetent. i hope it doesn't hinder them in their world cup, but i greatly suspect it will.

He is so incompetent that he got a team that was struggling and low on morale to qualify with ease against several CONMEBOL sides that are amongst the top teams in the world at present and in hostile environmental conditions.

His sole weakness is to stick with certain players for which he does deserve a slap around the head. Other than that he is more than competent.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
:lol: This happened last year against Saudi Arabia. The players did not want to be there. There was minimal effort. However this same side has beaten Brazil, Germany and Spain in friendlies when they decide to up their game.

The sole question mark is about the keeper and a couple of the backline. People take one performance which is not representative of how the side have played in competitive matches and use it to wildly extrapolate to the World Cup.

Any side coming up against Messi,Aguero, di Maria and Higuain when it matters will have to defend extremely well not to concede.

To me it did not appear that they didn't care and play casually. To me it looked like they tried hard but just couldn't deliver. If you were right and they didn't give their best and expect themselves to rise to the occasions when the WC actually is coming, shame on them.

That Brazil game was truly something, but again mostly due to Messi's personal wonders. Against Spain and Germany I was not too impressed, plus they were such a long time ago and I'd say you can't use those one-off occasions to indicate much. For the last year or Argentina was simply meh at best.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I couldn't care less what results Argentina get in friendlies. World Cup is all I care about. Argentina were beating teams left and right in the friendlies before every World Cup, then when the WC arrived the Quarter final was the farthest stage they could go.

B

beautifulgame

multiple people saying "sabella is incompetent"

where does barcaforum find these people?

zanela

He is so incompetent that he got a team that was struggling and low on morale to qualify with ease against several CONMEBOL sides that are amongst the top teams in the world at present and in hostile environmental conditions.

His sole weakness is to stick with certain players for which he does deserve a slap around the head. Other than that he is more than competent.

yo Aurelius, long time.. ;)

Want to ask you about the Fab-4 system. I must be in the minority when I say I'm not a fan. It offers li'l balance or shape. Playing 2 9's makes the attack narrow, but also Zab having to do a lot on his side. It also forces one of the 9's to assume wider positions, thus diminishing his goal threat (the better goalscorer in pipita in this case). If Sabella thinks the Aguero-Messi tandem in the center can be more productive to the team, I'd rather he sits Gonzo, for Lavezzi. The current system requires one of them to sacrifice, and I don't think it's fair to the player or beneficial to the team overall. The Fab-4, for me, should be reserved only when chasing a game. But from the get-go, a set-up that allows for better control and balance, is desirable. Your thoughts?

AURELIUS

To me it did not appear that they didn't care and play casually. To me it looked like they tried hard but just couldn't deliver. If you were right and they didn't give their best and expect themselves to rise to the occasions when the WC actually is coming, shame on them.

That Brazil game was truly something, but again mostly due to Messi's personal wonders. Against Spain and Germany I was not too impressed, plus they were such a long time ago and I'd say you can't use those one-off occasions to indicate much. For the last year or Argentina was simply meh at best.

Several players have come in and there has been a limited amount of experimentation. The side had qualified and did not play to what they can do at the end of World Cup qualification.

Watching some of the Romania game there is a lot more that the whole side can put in Messi included. And when you talk about his performance against Brazil indeed as many do in other games it is a disservice to the other players around him who have also played more than their part. Gago in particular, di Maria, Kun and Pipita too. They all work extremely well when required as an attacking unit.

Germany may have been down to 10 men and rightly so when Sosa was brought down, they had survived an opening onslaught but they could have won that game by six or seven goals.

However as razor points out who cares about the friendlies what is paramount is what happens in the actual tournament. If Sabella could be bothered to include Caballero, Barovero, Musacchio, Orban/Peruzzi/Ansaldi and Gonzalo Rodriguez the team has a great chance. Unfortunately I think a defensive blunder from Romero or someone like Rojo will prove fatal.

Home of Barca Fans