Argentina

blaugrana1987

Ever Banega is starting, because Messi asked for him to Sampaoli. He wanted the Argentine midfielder because he did not get the ball against Croatia.

The following are my thoughts. Everyone is concentrating in Argentina's victory over Nigeria. It all depends what happens between Croatia and Iceland since Croatia is starting its B team. Iceland has defeated the A team before. Croatia is the first team that will start an alternative team in Russia-2018.

Hektor
Our coach said this : "We do not care about Argentina one bit, but we aint losing to Iceland".
I think we will win it tbh. Our 2nd squad is great, Movacic and Badelj in MF, up Pjaca, Perisic and Kramaric. We are not set for loss.

I think playing Banega is a must as is Perez tbh. He is a pit bull, you need someone to cover Banega and Messi.

Edit

According to latest info, Modric will also play as he wants to stay "sharp"

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

View attachment 7901

If still chasing after the 1st half:
-Di Maria for Lo Celso (alongside Dybala, the most shocking omission so far from Sampaoli)
-Higuain for Aguero, switch to a traditional 4-3-3 with Higuain up front

If Di Maria starts, it should be in MF NOT as a forward. Using him as a forward is just a waste if no one is MF can even get the ball forward. I guess the question that emerges is if its more humiliating to get dumped out of the group stage or get destroyed by France in the 16s, hard to say.

jairzinho

Higuain and Dybala must start.

Better to bring on Aguero than to bring on Higuain if things get dicey.

Hopefully no Cabellero in goal or Biglia in midfield.

Said before that Nigeria are going for the win aswell so it should be an open game with a lot more space for Messi and co to work with.

Nigeria are a good team with lots of speed up front but not the best organized defence.

Much2soon

Rumour line up seems not too different from the lineup of the first match. As some say, Dybala has to start, stop all the ´he cannot play with Messi bull’. They (Sampaoli and co.) are complicating things more than it should be, there’s no need to overthink, just throw your best players out there.

I’d go

Higuain

Messi Dybala

Lo Celso Banega/Di Maria
Masch

Talifico Fazio/Rojo Otamendi Mercado

Anyone but Willy.

Morten

Rumour line up seems not too different from the lineup of the first match. As some say, Dybala has to start, stop all the ´he cannot play with Messi bull’. They (Sampaoli and co.) are complicating things more than it should be, there’s no need to overthink, just throw your best players out there.

I’d go

Higuain

Messi Dybala

Lo Celso Banega/Di Maria
Masch

Talifico Fazio/Rojo Otamendi Mercado

Anyone but Willy.

Di Maria is a nothing-player in big matches these days, why even start him?

Hektor

The following is the probable formation of Croatia against Iceland:

Kalinic; Jedvaj, Lovren, Corluka, Pivaric; Bradaric, Badelj; Perisic, Kovacic, Pjaca; Kramaric.

In all honesty, I only know the midfielder from Real Madrid, Kovacic, who wants to leave Real because he does not have enough playing time. He is a good one, though.

Hektor

Last edited:

Hektor

The following is the probable formation of Argentina with the players' age in parenthesis:

Franco Armani (31); Mercado (31), Otamendi (30), Rojo (28), Tagliafico (25); E. Pérez (32), Mascherano (34), Banega (30), Di María (30); Messi (31) and Higuaín (30).

The average age is 30.18. Only Tagliafico, Rojo, and probable Messi might be back for Qatar-2022. This is the last chance for everyone else.

E. Perez is doubtful due to muscular problems.

Hektor

Last edited:

George_Costanza

This is beautifully written by Di Maria yesterday, translated into English.

..."In fact, just before the final qualifying games, I started seeing a psychologist. I was going through a difficult moment in my head, and usually I can rely on my family to get me through those times. But this time, the pressure was very intense with the national team, so I turned to a psychologist, and it really helped me. In the final two matches, I was much looser and more
relaxed."

Full article:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/angel-di-maria-argentina-english

Hektor

This is beautifully written by Di Maria yesterday, translated into English.

..."In fact, just before the final qualifying games, I started seeing a psychologist. I was going through a difficult moment in my head, and usually I can rely on my family to get me through those times. But this time, the pressure was very intense with the national team, so I turned to a psychologist, and it really helped me. In the final two matches, I was much looser and more relaxed."

Full article:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/angel-di-maria-argentina-english

Excellent article. Thank you for sharing it with us. I saw it in Spanish, but did not read it.

BBZ8800

The following is the probable formation of Croatia against Iceland:

Kalinic; Jedvaj, Lovren, Corluka, Pivaric; Bradaric, Badelj; Perisic, Kovacic, Pjaca; Kramaric.

In all honesty, I only know the midfielder from Real Madrid, Kovacic, who wants to leave Real because he does not have enough playing time. He is a good one, though.

Hektor

Jedvaj played against Spain at Euro 2016.
(He looks like Puyol).
Lovren from Liverpool just played a Champions league final.
Cb Corluka was starter for 10-12 years, played 100 Nt matches.
Badelj from Seria A was a Cdm-Cm starter for years.
Kovacic is from Real Madrid.
Perisic is a starter always.
Pjaca is from Juventus.
Kramaric played 2 games at this Wc already.

Bradaric and a gk are only two rookie guys.
Lb Pivaric is bad in defense also.

dakt

I don't see us loosing against Island, but everything is possible. It will be win for us or a draw.

Home of Barca Fans