Argentina

Chainsaw

Killahead
The list for Argentina's upcoming World Cup Qualifiers and friendly match has been announced and Erik Lamela, and Lucas BIGLIA have made the list:

Goalkeepers:
Sergio ROMERO (Sampdoria)
Mariano ANDUJAR (Catania)

Defenders:
Federico FERNANDEZ (Getafe)
Hugo CAMPAGNARO (Napoli)
Pablo ZABALETA (Manchester City)
Fabricio COLOCCINI (Newcastle)
Marcos ROJO (Sporting Lisbon)
Ezequiel GARAY (Benfica)
Jose BASANTA (Monterrey)

Midfielders:
Javier MASCHERANO (FC Barcelona)
Angel DI MARIA (Real Madrid)
Ever BANEGA (Valencia)
Augusto FERNANDEZ (Celta de Vigo)
Erik LAMELA (Roma)
Jose SOSA (Metalist)
Lucas BIGLIA (Anderlecht)
Pablo GUINAZU (Nacional)
Walter MONTILLO (Santos)

Forwards:
Lionel MESSI (FC Barcelona)
Gonzalo HIGUAIN (Real Madrid)
Rodrigo PALACIO (Inter Milan)
Sergio AGUERO (Manchester City)
Ezequiel LAVEZZI (PSG)

PaulFCB

Banned
Yeah... Higuaín, Agüero and Tevez are shit :lol:

Rather than playing Higuain as ST and keep Messi on a unnatural position that he's not used to at Barcelona, I would keep Higuain at home and let him watch the World Cup on TV while thinking of his under 50% goals/game in La liga and possibly under 25% in Italy, find a way to play Messi in his best position and improvise the rest of the attack to benefit him.
If they won't do this, I give them 0.0% chances of winning the World Cup, seeing their best 11 except for Messi, in the condition that Spain is IMO starting calm down, Holland already proved they're inconsistent and failed at the Euro big time, while Germany, they're nemesis usually chokes in important games such as Bayern in the CL finals or other games, Brazil have a heck of a defense, someone like Higuain like a pig getting ready to be cut by the local town horde before Christmas between them.

AURELIUS

Rather than playing Higuain as ST and keep Messi on a unnatural position that he's not used to at Barcelona, I would keep Higuain at home and let him watch the World Cup on TV while thinking of his under 50% goals/game in La liga and possibly under 25% in Italy, find a way to play Messi in his best position and improvise the rest of the attack to benefit him.
If they won't do this, I give them 0.0% chances of winning the World Cup, seeing their best 11 except for Messi, in the condition that Spain is IMO starting calm down, Holland already proved they're inconsistent and failed at the Euro big time, while Germany, they're nemesis usually chokes in important games such as Bayern in the CL finals or other games, Brazil have a heck of a defense, someone like Higuain like a pig getting ready to be cut by the local town horde before Christmas between them.

Errrr ??? Are you for real ? Higuain is an integral part of the way Argentina attack. The way he clears space for Messi and his link up play. I love the way Pipita is criticized while he still has one of the netter accuracy ratios in La Liga compared to someone like Crynaldo and Benzema.

Messi of course has been really suffering in his time with Sabella as national team manager. Get a grip of yourself.

Squad versus Colombia tonight at El Monumental:
Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Agustin Orion (Boca Juniors)

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Hugo Campagnaro (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Federico Fernandez (Getafe), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle United), Jose Basanta (Monterrey), Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon), Gino Peruzzi (Velez Sarsfield)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Rodrigo Brana (Estudiantes), Ever Banega (Valencia), Walter Montillo (Santos), Jose Sosa (Metalist Kharkiv), Augusto Fernandez, (Celta Vigo), Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht), Pablo Guinazu (Libertad), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Erik Lamela (AS Roma)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City)

Sosa is injured and misses both games. Banega is suspended for tonight's match which is a shame as he has been in excellent form with Valencia. Gago is out with injury.

Notable omissions. Willy Caballero currently one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Nicolas Spolli still not being considered and no place for Nicolas Gaitan. Instead we do have the puzzling inclusions of Augusto Fernandez and after his shambolic effort in Bolivia Palacio.

The line up looks like being:
------------------------------Romero---------------------------------------
Zabaleta--------Fernández----------------Garay--------------------Rojo----
--------------------Biglia----------Mascherano-----------------------------
-----------------Montillo------------------------di Maria--------------------
---------------------Higuain-------Aguero----------------------------------

I would to see Peruzzi come in to strengthen the back four. Messi will likely be rested or brought on as a substitute.

In other news Newell's lead the Clausura under the guidance of Martino and knocked Boca out of the Libertadores. Scocco and Maxi were not released to the national side. Shame for Scocco as he is surely one of the best players in South America this season.

River Plate u20 won the Copa Libertadores u20.

River Plate u17 beat Sampdoria, Barcelona and both Madrid clubs to win the world club u17 title. It's great to see the conveyor belt getting back into full swing. Great for River Plate and great for the national team as well.

PaulFCB

Banned
As I said, Higuain is garbage, there are enough forwards in Argentina.
Aguero should go to another team, at City he's used to losing too much.

Last edited:

AURELIUS

As I said, Higuain is garbage, there are enough forwards in Argentina.
Aguero should go to another team, at City he's used to losing too much.

By your silly argument every striker is garbage. Falcao missed a free header as well. He also must be garbage. Keep sitting on the sofa and don't venture into managing a football side. And who are these forwards Scocco aside ? Martinez, Blandi, ??

The side played well last night. Defence was quite solid. However Caballero is a step up from Romero whose communication skills and coming off his line is poor.

Midfield was not so good. Montillo was reasonable but lacks presence . Pastore is a better bet. Biglia offers little. Neat passer but nothing else. Banega will come in immediately for him.

Deserved to win on balance despite missing some starters.

PaulFCB

Banned
Lol, you're comparing Falcao's header to Higuain's chance?
From 4.5 yards, in the middle of the small box, only the goalkeeper to stop him, he shoots in the middle directly in the goalie. Argentina without Messi are shit, even with him they don't seem a big deal, they need to count on him and only on him, if it's going to be a miracle in Brazil, he's the only one who can make it real.

Hektor

IMHO, there is no problem with the Argentine mid-field or offense - we have more players tha we know what to do with them. Many of our substitutes or players that are not called up would be starters is most teams arorund the world. Argentina's major deficiency - a massive one - is the defense, specially the CB's position. You can see it in the eyes of the players. When the other team attacks, everyone is desperatelly trying to get back. In other words, the defense gives no confidence to the rest of the team. This is the major challenge for Sabella.

The defense has improved since Copa America. However, it is not good enough against the major teams. If Argentina is able to assemble a very good defense, then we would be a major favorite for Brazil 2014.

Hektor

zealot

Gotta say Gago has always been decent for Argentina everytime I watched him (which isn't to often tbh). Should have had better career at club level in Europe imo.

BarcaVillain

Watched the game this morning and honestly got mixed feelings. As an attacking force they are up there with the best in the world, but I think they missed something in midfield. Basanta did pretty well at LB though and but for a comical goalkeeping error (and a late lapse in concentration with the game won) they were pretty comfortable at the back. Still, 5-2 win away to anyone in CONMEBOL is a good result.

Rahj

I'm still wondering how this palacio guy can be a player of inter milan. apparently, he scored more than 20 goals last season, but every time i see him play for the nt he's just utter crap.

Home of Barca Fans