Argentina

B

beautifulgame

Spot on Nolan. Lets consider that everything that Barca does in the field existed in some form before. As far defense, it will be solid enough.

Doobs

The Messiah
Mauro Icardi from Sampdoria has ditched Italy to play for the Argentine national team. Is he any good?e

Interestingly enough, He was loaned from Barca to Sampdoria and he was eventually bought for 400.000 Euros.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

The defense is Barca without Puyol-like, that's for sure.

That offense is a machine, I don't really think it's stylistically that close to Barca except for the over the top skill level, but it's good. Don't forget Argentina was passing like that even before Barca was, so to call that team a Barca clone doesn't do justice to the country that practically invented modern skill football.

That defense though...I fear the traditional flop vs Germany if they keep allowing soft goals.

It also helped that Sweden were so poor and could hardly string any passes together. Not enough pressure was put on Argentina to disrupt their rhythm.

AURELIUS

It also helped that Sweden were so poor and could hardly string any passes together. Not enough pressure was put on Argentina to disrupt their rhythm.

They were hardly allowed the ball in the first half. The ball was moved so quickly between the Argentine players and with movement off the ball continually that they could not bring any pressure to bear.

It was a case of Argentine were superb and Sweden could not do anything about it. As I said the scoreline was extremely flattering to the Swedes.

AURELIUS

Mauro Icardi from Sampdoria has ditched Italy to play for the Argentine national team. Is he any good?e

Interestingly enough, He was loaned from Barca to Sampdoria and he was eventually bought for 400.000 Euros.

He's a very good prospect as a natural nine. Plays off the last defender, has a nice turn of acceleration, reasonable ball control and can also pass. Needs to fill out a bit but all in all yes he could be another crack.

Sabella should call him up for the WCQ's versus Venuzuela and Bolivia along with Lamela and Caballero.

AURELIUS

Squad to play Venezuela tomorrow. KO GMT 0000. At El Monumental BA.

GK: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria) Mariano Andújar (Catania) Agustín Orión (Boca Juniors)

DF: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City) Clemente Rodríguez (Boca Juniors) Federico Fernández (Getafe) Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon) Ezequiel Garay (Benfica) Hugo Campagnaro (Napoli) Sebastián Domínguez (Vélez Sarsfield) Gino Peruzzi (Vélez Sarsfield) José María Basanta (Monterrey)

MF: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona) Maxi Rodríguez (Newell's Old Boys) Fernando Gago (Vélez Sársfield) Ángel di María (Real Madrid) José Sosa (Metalist Kharkiv) Éver Banega (Valencia) Pablo Guiñazú (Libertad) Leonardo Ponzio (River Plate) Augusto Fernández (Celta Vigo) Walter Montillo (Santos)

FW: Lionel Messi (c) (Barcelona) Ignacio Scocco (Newell's Old Boys) Gonzalo Higuaín (Real Madrid) Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain) Rodrigo Palacio (Internazionale) Franco Di Santo (Wigan Athletic)

Some strange choices. No Cabellero called up in goal. Chooses Basanta over Spolli who is more deserving. In midfield no chance for Lamela but picks Sosa once again and an ageing Guinazu instead of someone like Rinaudo. Augusto Fernandez has done little recently to merit inclusion. Upfront why di Santo ahead of Icardi ? Even just the experience would be something for the youngster.

I hope Scocco is picked to replace Aguero. No sign of Martinez either or Barcos this time around which does show some mixed thinking. Sticking with some players but not others. Basanta plays in a back three and apparently Sabella is considering moving to a back five and playing 3-5-2 at some stage. At least Peruzzi is in which is pleasing to see.

Argentina's sole loss came early in qualifying to Venuzuela and they do have threats upfront but should Argentina sparkle then this should be a home win and it will be interesting to see how Lavezzi functions as Kun's replacement. Perhaps he won't ball hog this time around.

Messi. He has pulled some strings to get the next qualifier after the trip to Bolivia moved to Estadio Marcelo Bielsa his own team's ground. And that should be done and dusted providing there is no crowd violence at the ground in matches prior to the fixture.

"I was lucky enough to be able to win everything with my club. Now I want to do the same with my national team," he said at a press conference.

"I think people are more connected to our national team in general, not just me. They are excited because we are winning and doing things well. We have to be all together to get what we want." Looking ahead to Friday's clash with Venezuela, Messi warned his teammates that they must not underestimate their opponents. Leo's own thoughts.

"Venezuela are a solid team, when they have the ball, they know what to do and they have people who could put us in danger. We must take the initiative, we have to have the ball as much as possible and we have to continue doing what we've been doing up to this point."

Messi also commented on the new tattoo he had inked on to his left leg in honor of his son Thiago, revealing that he got it on impulse after arriving back in his homeland.

"My tattoo? I fancied it, I arrived in Argentina and I decided to have it."

Finally, following the announcement of the new Pope, the Argentine Francis I, Messi spoke of his desire to meet the holy father, who is reportedly a fan of the player. "I'm proud that we have a Pope from Argentina. I hope I can get to meet him one day," he added.

Can't say I'm taken with the idea of tattoos. I personally find them to be disfiguring but so long as he continues his magnificent form for country I won't complain. ;)

Last edited:

AURELIUS

The u17 after a shaky start are doing relatively well. More amazing considering who is in charge of the u17. Probably as the figurehead.

AURELIUS

Oscar Garré

Garre was in charge the last shambles was unleashed......;) Then it was Miguel Lemme who did a reasonable enough job winning a Quadrangular title in Chile last year/ But can you imagine David Bernstein saying to all and sundry. Now look here chaps, I have just the man to coach the u17/u20's. He just happens to be my son.

Well Don Julio the fat mafioso has done just that. Humberto Grondona was made coach of the u17's despite having zero experience......:lol:

Miraculously after two initial defeats a 3-1 win over Paraguay last night means they are now qualified for the u17 WC later this year in the Gulf. Sebastian Driussi did score a corker in one of the final hexagonal games:

They will be disappointed in a way to throw away a two goal lead against Uruguay and spurned the better chances against Brazil. The post match brawl against Uruguay was also very unedifying as a spectacle.

AURELIUS

Cheers man. I watched them in the 3-0 vs Uruguay and I thought they were great defensively. The tactics were perfect however I also watched the 2-1 victory away to Chile and I can't say I was as impressed. Again attacking wise they looked great but Sanchez and Co ran riot on the counter attack, they were exposed badly at times through the middle and their wingers didn't contribute much defensively, or at least that's how I remember it. A better team would have punished them.

Perhaps AURELIUS recalls the games better than I do.

Sorry Kerrybai I did not reply earlier as I have not been on the forum recently. Chile tried to play down the flanks and overload both fullbacks. They did this with success early on and manaed to get several balls into the box aerially and on the ground which resulted in a couple of close misses.

They were almost playing a back four. di Maria was not tucking back and exposing lots of space and Campagnaro on the right flank is not the speediest so he and Zabby were getting exposed. The introduction of Sosa, di Maria being told by Sabella to work back and the 2 goals led to Chile being restricted in the second half to pot shots at range.

Good news is the u17 are through to the WC finals topping the final hexagonal group on goal difference. They also had much the better of the exchanges with Brazil and Uruguay. Venezuela were the surprise package if you can call them that also making it through as one of the four CONMEBOL qualifiers.

And at the moment Kerrybai Sabella is experimenting with a 3-5-2 but uses a very traditional Argentina formation 4-2-2-2. The front four being Higgy and Kun upfront and Messi and di Maria in a free role behind. Gago and Masche as the defensive buffer and a flat back four.

There might be changes for the next qualifiers with Messi probably out along with Garay. Lamela looks set to be called up and perhaps Pastore. The team needs an alternate leader should god forbid Messi be injured. He'll be a big miss but I would rest him for at least one game. The whole squad have been playing nonstop for almost 3 seasons. Banega has also really improved again and Gaitan might have caught the eye of Sabella in the EL final although Perez was probably the best Argentine player in that game.

PaulFCB

Banned
Play 4-3-3 just like Barca, Messi as CF.
Or just ask Messi how he wants it, if they want the World Cup, he's the only one who can make that difference.

Kerrybai

Sorry Kerrybai I did not reply earlier as I have not been on the forum recently. Chile tried to play down the flanks and overload both fullbacks. They did this with success early on and manaed to get several balls into the box aerially and on the ground which resulted in a couple of close misses.

They were almost playing a back four. di Maria was not tucking back and exposing lots of space and Campagnaro on the right flank is not the speediest so he and Zabby were getting exposed. The introduction of Sosa, di Maria being told by Sabella to work back and the 2 goals led to Chile being restricted in the second half to pot shots at range.

Good news is the u17 are through to the WC finals topping the final hexagonal group on goal difference. They also had much the better of the exchanges with Brazil and Uruguay. Venezuela were the surprise package if you can call them that also making it through as one of the four CONMEBOL qualifiers.

And at the moment Kerrybai Sabella is experimenting with a 3-5-2 but uses a very traditional Argentina formation 4-2-2-2. The front four being Higgy and Kun upfront and Messi and di Maria in a free role behind. Gago and Masche as the defensive buffer and a flat back four.

There might be changes for the next qualifiers with Messi probably out along with Garay. Lamela looks set to be called up and perhaps Pastore. The team needs an alternate leader should god forbid Messi be injured. He'll be a big miss but I would rest him for at least one game. The whole squad have been playing nonstop for almost 3 seasons. Banega has also really improved again and Gaitan might have caught the eye of Sabella in the EL final although Perez was probably the best Argentine player in that game.

Cheers man thanks for the info. So Aguero doesn't really player out left then. I wondered how exactly Argentina were using him, I notice he often drops into Messi's position when Messi goes deep to collect the ball from the back.

Home of Barca Fans