Spain

F

Flavia

Cd1BqvJWIAAa_Xr.jpg:large

Bob called up. Casillas still there :lol:

El Flaco

Vicente Del Bosque's interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport

What is missing for Morata to make the final leap?

“He has everything that is needed to be our centre-forward: physical strength, the ability to play in small or large spaces, he’s strong at heading and he strikes the ball well. But for some reason has not yet found the necessary regularity and it’s not the fault of his coach [Massimiliano Allegri]. The player has his own responsibility.”

Does he need to believe in himself more?

“I don’t know. He is a nice guy, he’s not spoiled, he is humble and quiet and this is an important thing. He lacks consistency in games. We hope he finds it both with Juventus and with us. He needs to appear more during games.”

For the first time, you’ll face an Italy side coached by Antonio Conte.

“Yes, and I remember his Juventus starting with the ability to adapt and change their skin: they can press but also fall back, wait and go on the break with a few touches and great speed [in transition]. The defensive structure is that of his Juventus [side] and that is the basis of everything. Frankly, I do not see big differences between this and [Cesare] Prandelli’s Italy.”

Given we have obvious problems in attack, do you continue to see Italy as a dangerous competitor for Euro 2016?

“You have fallen in the rankings, but have maintained the true essence of Italian football. Last week I saw Juventus in Munich, and I can see Italy being very close to that model: pressure, physical exertion, no intention of leaving the initiative to the opponents to hurt them. Yes, Italy have not found a world-class striker, however, they remain a difficult team to face.”

We don’t have a club team in the quarter-finals of European play.

“I don’t see a stop sign in Italian football. I still consider you part of modern football and difficult for any opponent. The big European clubs seek your coaches and only a year ago Juventus reached the Champions League final.”

Who are your biggest rivals at Euro 2016?

“There are many, and there is no clear favorite. All the seeded teams can win. One thinks of Italy, Belgium, England, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal but it sure appears that someone else will find the right form. It’s a short tournament with 24 teams, so it’ll be unpredictable. If I have to only say one name, I’d say France because they are playing at home.“

What are your thoughts on the vitriol aimed at [goalkeeper Iker] Casillas?

“For me, the important thing is to play for big European clubs like Porto, who is a giant and therefore no one can have something to say about that. You have to be respectful with a player who has given so much to the national team, we are obliged to protect those who have given us so much, nothing more. Iker has the respect of everyone except for that faction and he knows how to hide away from all this. To get universal acclaim in football is impossible.”

Can you give us a comparison of [Pep] Guardiola’s Barcelona and that of Luis Enrique?

“I want to emphasise one thing in common, the competitive spirit. The ability to win and will to win again, a kind of routine of victory, something that is very difficult to maintain.”

Real Madrid has changed three coaches.

“For any club, to get rid of a coach is a negative. Any club that decides that has their own reasons, however, it is not good for the team.”

Messi983

Spain really have problems with CB depth after Ramos and Pique if Bartra and Nacho are the best that VDB can call up.

Looking at the latest U21 callup there is also not a true CB there and they'll probably play Jonny Castro or Ruben Duarte there, maybe even Saul. But they have a lot of options at both fullback positions (even with Gaya out injured) with Bellerin, Javi Manquillo, Adrian Marin and Aritz Elustondo. I wonder why Mere and Vallejo were not called up.

Home of Barca Fans