Spain

abual3bed1

The dropped 7 will be imo:

Carvajal, Moreno (As Azplicueta can play on both sides), Koke, Iturraspe, Llorente, Cazorla and Mata/Navas.

F

Flavia

7 dropped, imho:

Moreno, Albiol, Iturraspe, Carvajal, one of Mata/Cazorla, Llorente, Torres.

MVBarcaFan

VdB will keep Villa for two reasons. He knows how to play with Diego Costa and he's been there before.

I see the following dropped: Negredo, Torres, Moreno, Thiago/Iturraspe, Cazorla, Albiol, and Carvajal.

Antimilan

Carvajal, Moreno (As Azplicueta can play on both sides), Koke, Iturraspe, Llorente, Cazorla and Mata/Navas.

Interesting that you were the only one to say Moreno will be dropped and give a kind of explanation for that, since logically, it doesn't make that much sense.

There are a lot of natural right backs, who have been playing as RB these last seasons and almost always.

Meanwhile, there are ONLY 2 natural left backs in this list, and they are: Alba and Moreno. VDB knows and CANNOT make a huge mistake by supposing Azpilicueta can play in both sides because it is not a league match, but a WC Competition, and things like these are taken seriously, there is no room for experiment.

Because while at it we can also say that Juanfran COULD play as LB... maybe Carvajal also... but they would probably be crap in a serious WC match and it would be a hell of a risk. If we were playing a Football Manager game... it's ok... but in WC you need skill, talent, and the RIGHT = IDEAL positions.

Del Bosque will think of this hopefully so that he will not have to panic if Alba gets injured/suspended (hopefully not).

As for the midfield, Spain has plenty and it will not matter if Iturraspe or Mata, Cazorla or Thiago get dropped. While for the offensive side it is the same. I doubt Negredo would be dropped but I wouldn't mind that since he didn't perform well in the second part of the season with City and Dzeko took his place by outshining him. Can't say the same for Llorente though. And Torres... I will probably never understand why he is even considered for the final squad.

Alik

Thiago Alcantara is going to the World Cup

:D

I remember some people saying Del Bosque wouldn't pick him. hahahaha

He can still be dropped. Especially if he isn't fit.

I'd say drop:

Albiol, Moreno, Carvajal, Iturraspe, Mata, Llorente and Villa.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona

Serisouly Koke and Carvajal? Koke is the only CM I think beside Xavi and Carvajal is better than Albiol taking into account Thiago's fitnees its more likely he is gonna be dropped instead of Koke

abual3bed1

Interesting that you were the only one to say Moreno will be dropped and give a kind of explanation for that, since logically, it doesn't make that much sense.

There are a lot of natural right backs, who have been playing as RB these last seasons and almost always.

Meanwhile, there are ONLY 2 natural left backs in this list, and they are: Alba and Moreno. VDB knows and CANNOT make a huge mistake by supposing Azpilicueta can play in both sides because it is not a league match, but a WC Competition, and things like these are taken seriously, there is no room for experiment.

Because while at it we can also say that Juanfran COULD play as LB... maybe Carvajal also... but they would probably be crap in a serious WC match and it would be a hell of a risk. If we were playing a Football Manager game... it's ok... but in WC you need skill, talent, and the RIGHT = IDEAL positions.

Del Bosque will think of this hopefully so that he will not have to panic if Alba gets injured/suspended (hopefully not).

As for the midfield, Spain has plenty and it will not matter if Iturraspe or Mata, Cazorla or Thiago get dropped. While for the offensive side it is the same. I doubt Negredo would be dropped but I wouldn't mind that since he didn't perform well in the second part of the season with City and Dzeko took his place by outshining him. Can't say the same for Llorente though. And Torres... I will probably never understand why he is even considered for the final squad.

It's like you don't know VdB one bit. He's so stubborn and won't make big changes on his usual squad that he's been depending on for years. He'll have Juanfran - Pique - Ramos - Alba line of defense. Martinez, Albiol and Azpilicueta for back-ups. Those 3 can play in multiple position and that what VdB will look to have in his squad. Azpilicueta played most of his season on the left and he did a pretty decent job, at least for Mou's standard of defending.

Serisouly Koke and Carvajal? Koke is the only CM I think beside Xavi and Carvajal is better than Albiol taking into account Thiago's fitnees its more likely he is gonna be dropped instead of Koke

Carvajal is better than Albiol, but Albiol can play CB and RB. VdB will have that as a major factor in his consideration for the final squad. And Koke, you said it, only an unfit Thiago will give him the node to make the trip to Brasil. So Thiago is the natural selection when fit and I think Thiago will be fit in time.

Last edited:

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I'm very happy with the provisional list but Del Bosque has to keep Torres off the team.

Here's who I think he should drop (assuming Thiago is fit, before his injury in Germany he was really starting to show his class):
1. Torres
2. Albiol (no need for him, Javi can back up both Pique and Ramos and for either Alonso or Busquets)
3. Iturraspe
4. Llorente (he could be used as a Plan B when teams potentially park the bus but I'd rather have Negredo)
5. Juanfran (I've never liked him. Moreno is a beast and could be a game-changer. I'd honestly start Moreno over Alba, that's how good he is.)
6. Mata or Cazorla
7. Maybe both Mata and Cazorla. I'd rather have Koke and Thiago over those 2.

Last edited:

Catalan Fan

I think Spain have a decent chance of winning this.Might even have a bet on them.

Obviously Brazil favs, with home advantage plus Confederations Cup result, but that squad looks strong to me.

Superstar85

I'm surprised many people here think Llorente will (or should) be dropped. Other than Costa, he's been the most in form striker on that list for a long while now. But unlike Costa, Llorente actually fits Spain's style of play..

Thes 5 players: Busquets,Thiago,Cesc,Iniesta & Silva all behind a real target man (Costa or Llorente) could be very devastating.
But knowing Vdb, that won't happen though lol

Home of Barca Fans