FC Barcelona's future in La Liga?

tototo19

Soo, I don't really know if this is a sensitive subject around here, but since I haven't found anything on it, I suppose I could just try and ask.
Do you guys honestly believe Barcelona will play in La Liga if Catalonia becomes independent? I mean, it just sounds bizarre to me that a non-Spanish club would want to play in the Spanish League. I don't really think that the Catalan league would be interesting enough for Barcelona, but hey, if Catalonia wants independence, that's just one of the things they'll have to get used to, right?
Rosell has said they'll be like Monaco in France, but I personally don't think it's fair towards other Spanish clubs. So what do you think?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Fair or not has nothing to do with it. Also, just because something didn't happen before, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.

Staying in La Liga makes perfect sense imo. It's good for Spain and it's good for FC Barcelona.

DennyCrane

Soo, I don't really know if this is a sensitive subject around here, but since I haven't found anything on it, I suppose I could just try and ask.
Do you guys honestly believe Barcelona will play in La Liga if Catalonia becomes independent? I mean, it just sounds bizarre to me that a non-Spanish club would want to play in the Spanish League. I don't really think that the Catalan league would be interesting enough for Barcelona, but hey, if Catalonia wants independence, that's just one of the things they'll have to get used to, right?
Rosell has said they'll be like Monaco in France, but I personally don't think it's fair towards other Spanish clubs. So what do you think?

The catalan league, the Primera Catalana, stands at the fifth level in Spanish football. I find it highly unlikely that Barca will play there if it suddenly became the catalan first division.

Also, independence is an elastic term. Are we talking of full independence like a national state or are we talking of "just" shifting more legislative competences to Catalonia ?
The Monaco-comparison shows that Rosell needs some history lessons: Monaco is still a protectorate of France, key offical positions are still proposed by France, regarding foreign policy there's still a consultation obligation. That isn't congruent with my definition of independence.

The only occurence at least related in the broadest sense is Swansea playing in the PL; do you think that is bizarre? And unfair... please. Unfair would be to put this squad into a former fifth division.

Tomchin

The only occurence at least related in the broadest sense is Swansea playing in the PL; do you think that is bizarre? And unfair... please. Unfair would be to put this squad into a former fifth division.
Btw, the situation of Wales (and Scotland and Northern Ireland and England) always confuses me. They're countries, but they belong to another country (UK)?

DennyCrane

Btw, the situation of Wales (and Scotland and Northern Ireland and England) always confuses me. They're countries, but they belong to another country (UK)?

Now THAT is a difficult question and one I can't answer here:
To oversimplify things: They are countries in a sense, but the UK is, regarding foreign relations, the relevant international legal personality. The fact that the UK has no written constitution, multiple changes throughout UKs' history and the growing influence of the EU makes it even more difficult to determine this relation exactly. And, as usual in law, it's debatable.

If you really care, this is an initial point to start your research: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3846.htm#gov

khorne

I think it really would depend on the grade of independency, like dennycrane said, and also how much resentment ensued on both sides. If catalonia goes for full independence, no mercy mode, then I think the rfef will probably say something a long the lines: "you wanted your independence, there you go, have fun playing l'hospitalet" And while that would really hurt as a barca fan, objectively, they'd have a point. They will miss barcelona, but their league will still be a strong one with good teams and good football. barca is the screwed one here. To stay in la liga while being a full independent country, that's a bit like rewoking one's citizenship and still wanting social security.

but anyway that's all conjecture. Let's just hope everything turns out well for football's sake.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
At the end, guys, it is all about money. Money is motherlandless. If Barça and Madrid and media and sport companies are going to earn more money if the Classic still exists, the will look for an agreement.

oz187

If Barca was no longer in La Liga it would become a one horse race, the media companies would rewrite all the contracts to much lesser value and a whole bunch of teams will be pushed to bankruptcy.

Home of Barca Fans